Sign in to follow this  

Can anybody identify where this piece of metal came from?

My 2005 crf250r has a no spark problem. I test it, figured out it was stator related 

I found this between my stator and flywheel, its cut a groove out of both on them. 

I have replacement parts but before I put the bike back together I'd like to know where this thing came from ? 
Any suggestions? 

Thanks 

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

It's the same shape as the kill switch mount clip. but the inside diameter is smaller than a straw. 

I figure is could be a retaining clip for a wire and hose routing. But it looks like most of that retaining is done with zip ties.

Worn, of course... I wouldn't run that motor without having a look at the cam & crank bearings.

Edited by Eddie8v

Thanks for the help. 

I'm waiting on a flywheel puller get the flywheel off. But at the moment the crankshaft isn't moving around, i.e its not moving in and out or up and down and seems to rotating freely. Do you think I'd be able to sufficiently inspect the crank with the flywheel off? I'm assuming if it is of a bearing cage it would have to have come from a baring that is in the left crank case cover side, right?

Yeah I agree with martin, cam bearing is coming apart and that piece ended up going down along side the timing chain.

"bearing retainer from the inside of your muffler"

I have been looking at the service manual and oem parts listing and I cant seem to find the bearing retainer you are talking about. 

Where do I need to look to inspect this?

thanks for all the help

"bearing retainer from the inside of your muffler"

I have been looking at the service manual and oem parts listing and I cant seem to find the bearing retainer you are talking about. 

Where do I need to look to inspect this?

thanks for all the help

Sorry I was just being a Jackass, could not help with the bad joke. I really do not have a clue where that piece of metal would have / could have come from, I am of no help... :blush:

Don't worried I had a feeling it was a "spare bubble for a level" joke. But bar from re-shimming valves on my 150r my motor knowledge is pretty limited so I thought I'd ask to be sure.

My 2005 crf250r has a no spark problem. I test it, figured out it was stator related 

I found this between my stator and flywheel, its cut a groove out of both on them. 

I have replacement parts but before I put the bike back together I'd like to know where this thing came from ? 

Any suggestions? 

Thanks 

that is a bit of your main brearing don't ride her or start it again until it is torn down and the damaged parts replaced.

Update.

Took the valve cover off and found that the right side camshaft bearing retainer was broken. The bearing hadn't completely collapsed so the cam turns over ok. I'm going to replace the bearing and redo the valve clearance and install the new flywheel and stator. Then run a new oil filter and oil for a bit to just clean out any metal pieces I miss in the clean up.

Thanks for the help. I'd have never though of a bearing cage/retainer coming apart like that.

You need to clean the entire bottom end out, and be sure to check the oil pump and the pickup area.