Sign in to follow this  

2006 RM 125 - help decide

Hello,

I am trying to decide if buying a 2006 RM125 is a good choice for me. I have an eye on a bike locally that is in pretty good shape. It has all the stock plastics, and seat. He said the top and bottom end has been rebuilt from a local shop I trust and visit all the time. He says he has all the receipts. It has new tires, chain, sprockets, stock Renthal bars, etc. I got him down to accepting 1200.

I am 200 pounds right now and plan on losing at least 20 pounds. I want to be in the 180 range, and this will be a good modivator. I also want this to learn how to work on the motor.

I want this bike to be a play bike to help harness my skills. I ride a '13 rmz450 but I feel super lazy on this bike. The RMZ pumps my arms up after one lap. I have a friend that suggest I go back to smaller bore to work on the basics. Also, it being new, I dont want to ride it because I have this OCD issue with wanting it to be spotless after every ride. Ride for 2 hours, clean for 12.

Does anyone have any thoughts, is this a really stupid decision?

If anything, I believe I can put some love into this bike and turn it into a profit. Thoughts?

Thanks for looking!,

RM242

125s are super fun. It definitely will get you back to basics, and you'll find yourself being a faster rider. $1200 is a good price for an 06. Don't trust any receipts he has. Everyone who has ever sold a bike on craigslist says "engine just rebuilt".

I did it this time last year and it got me back into 2 strokes because of how fun they are to ride. I'm not as lazy as I was on a 4T.

Thank you for your response.

I had a 1992 RM125 from age 12 to just two weeks ago. I just sold it for a pretty good price and because I knew parts were becoming limited. This 2006 does seem like a very good deal.

I am not new to 125's but do you think my size is too big for this bike?

I'll probably throw in a new top end and check the crank.

I let my 210 pound brother ride harescrambles with my 125. It hauled him around just fine. If you can get it to haul you around at the speed of your big bike, imagine how much faster you'll be able to ride the 450.

Thank you for your response.

I had a 1992 RM125 from age 12 to just two weeks ago. I just sold it for a pretty good price and because I knew parts were becoming limited. This 2006 does seem like a very good deal.

I am not new to 125's but do you think my size is too big for this bike?

I'll probably throw in a new top end and check the crank.

I just weighed myself... 204pounds at 6foot 2inches. I have a 05 rm125, power wise, my bike doesn't struggle it's just a little more work keeping it in the R's. BUT before I had my suspension done, I was bottoming out on the big jumps, or If I overshot a smaller jump & came down hard, I'd bottom on stock suspension.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, install stiffer springs for my weight and ride it. We'll new top end just in case. I know the 125's like to be rung pretty hard, and I am a beginner track rider.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, install stiffer springs for my weight and ride it. We'll new top end just in case. I know the 125's like to be rung pretty hard, and I am a beginner track rider.

I think even with your size, a 125 would be a good bike for going back to the basics. Especially if you are a beginner track rider.

Sounds like a good deal but if it doesn't really need a new top end kit I'd be looking more at a Hinson billet clutch basket and new OEM clutch kit Instead :thumbsup: .

If you know the boyz at the shop where the work was done just go in and ask them about the bike.

Edited by AddictedToBling
  • Like 1

1200 for an 06 seems like a great deal. I bought mine a couple months ago for 1700. So with that price I say to for it.

Just curious, how good are these bikes (05+) compared to a yz125? I know the zooks steer and handle well but how are the motors?  I use to have an 07 rm250 and that was a great bike so I know how good the zooks can be just not sure on the 125's.  I do have an 03 cr125 right now but I cant seem to get that motor to run well, looking to go back yellow.

My 98 rm125 is supposed to make 40horse new. I have never had it dynoed though. It does feel pretty fast though.

That's at the crank, where you can't use it. It's probably more like 27-33 hp at the wheel, where you actually use it. I think ktm is the only one to have a true 40 rwhp bike.