Sign in to follow this  

08-09 vs 10-12 RMZ250 comparison

Hi everyone,

I am riding RM125 08' at the moment and after 4 years on 125 I am planning to try out a 250f. So my choice is RMZ but after reading tons of info on both -09 and 10- I haven't yet found any comparison. I don't have any possibility to test neither of them so it would be very interesting to hear from people who have moved from 08-09 to efi 10-12.

A few points that concern me:

weight difference - efi weighs more, right? does the 10-12 really feel any heavier when riding?

motor - I saw a dyno chart with both models and efi was only slightly stronger from low to mid rpm, after mid they were absolutely the same

handling - can you feel the difference?

suspension - any better on 10-12?

I am choosing between efi and carb. 08-09 bikes are almost half the price of 10-12 so I am willing to fond out if they are really worth the extra price. Is the difference really noticeable or is the efi bike just 5% better than the older model.

Thanks everyone.

I apologize if such thread exist but didn't find on TT.

We have an 08' and a 12'

I ride the 08' and am on the "Grande" side and its my favorite bike I have had = tons of Low end however no top

The 12' has sweet stock suspension and the motor pulls everywhere... not as much low end,  but power all over the place

can actually go faster on the 12' than the 08'

both handle like a zuk = better than anything period

both we have had zero problems and the 08' has lots of hours

we are fanatical about oil changes and air filter stuff

hope this helps

Edited by bigvaportrail

If I found a clean 08 for a really good price i would buy it. Been awhile since I rode an 08 but they were good bikes. Each has there positives and negatives. The 08 is simpler to work on with the carb. The efi bike has more top end. The newer bikes are stiffer. Weight is basically the same. I would buy new as possible if price is right and its clean. Condition would be my biggest concern. Lots of garage queens that can be picked up for cheap. Newer isn't always better of its been ridden hard.lots of upgrades regardless what year.

Ok, so efi feels like it has more power everywhere although dyno shows just a little power increase in low-mid rpm range.

Also, I guess that 08-09 should be lighter by several pounds without efi. I tried to find weight of both but every source states differently.

So all in all, the difference between them is quite significant in every aspect, correct?

Ok, so efi feels like it has more power everywhere although dyno shows just a little power increase in low-mid rpm range.

Also, I guess that 08-09 should be lighter by several pounds without efi. I tried to find weight of both but every source states differently.

So all in all, the difference between them is quite significant in every aspect, correct?

having had an 09 and now an 11, the 10-12 bike feels a bit lighter since the ergos are slimmer despite it being heavier at the scale, they both handles very well and unless you are comparing dyno curves from the same dyno on the same day your not going to have a clear picture of the motors differences.. the 10+ RMZ motor is a better package. 07-09 was still a good bike and i have a lot of fond memories on it so if you find one in in good condition i would jump on it for the right price. 

Thanks for your replies :) Looking at both models at the moment. Although coming from 125 I would prefer a motor with more on top and so 10-12 should suit me better. At least all shootouts say that 09 was very "lowendish" motor and didn't like reving sky high.

Basically just know that they are awesome bikes period.  Get as new as you can  but get as clean as you can.  Do not count out a bike with a carb.  Coming off a 250F you will love it.  You buy a clean 08 or 09...gear it right and live happily ever after.  The thig with the RMZ is that the bike stayed the same for all intents and purposes over the years.  Just get a clean bike and don't worry about anything else because if its a zook you know it will handle and that is the most important part.  The 06 RMZ450 my buddy just sold is still a fantastic bike.  Just a solid platform.

I just bought a 2011 rmz250 and it is nice and snappy, I have never ridden a carburetted 250f but my friends said they could notice the quick delivery of power, and I find it very easy to start, I am only 15, but if you find a good deal on an 09 or 08 that would still be the way to go