Sign in to follow this  

488 kit? Fastheads?

I'm about to tear my bike apart next week and send the head to fastheads and get the titanium package. While I had it open I was going to go to a 12.1 piston. After looking around on eBay I discovered the 12.1 piston with the bigger jug that's +4 bore making it a 488 for prob cheaper then buying another piston and jug is mine is scorn. Any thoughts on this from anybody whose done a big bore kit, high comp piston or who would do better work on the head would be greatly appreciated.

Guy from fastheads recommends head work and a 12.5 piston. Unless I get any better suggestions I might just play it safe and go with this.

If you want more grunt go with a 13 or 13.5:1 piston, as long as your crank is in decent shape. Not sure what year your bike is or how many hrs on it.

If you want more grunt go with a 13 or 13.5:1 piston, as long as your crank is in decent shape. Not sure what year your bike is or how many hrs on it.

Mines a 06 as far as high compression goes I'm gonna play it safe with a 12.5 for now. Not sure how many hours are on the motor is why. It supposedly sat in a garage for years and was only rode a little. And judging the seat still looking brand new I'm guessing he's not stretching the truth Much there. And there's really no telling what's in the fuel half the time these days.. Appreciate the input man

I had the BB KIT fitted for a while , it gives the motor more mid range power . It focuses the power into the midrange , I removed it because I like a broad supply of power .

My set up is jetted , pro circuit pipe , air box mod .

Air box mod? Did you have head work and stock cam? Or nah

Vents in the side of the air box , 02R cam , mild porting .

Gotcha. Stock crank n all?

Big bore kits without doing anything else to the engine just increase low-end torque, and shift the entire power-band down. They don't actually add any more horsepower really unless you do supporting mods like cam, porting, etc..

As far as pistons go, an '06 already has 12:1 compression. You might as well jump right up to 13 or 13.5:1, and if you want a cheap noticeable power upgrade, the '02R cam will drop right in.

Edited by Lead Head

Appreciate the advice fellas. Yeah if I keep this bike and build it the head work is definite first on list of upgraded.

Big bore kits without doing anything else to the engine just increase low-end torque, and shift the entire power-band down. They don't actually add any more horsepower really unless you do supporting mods like cam, porting, etc..

As far as pistons go, an '06 already has 12:1 compression. You might as well jump right up to 13 or 13.5:1, and if you want a cheap noticeable power upgrade, the '02R cam will drop right in.

Looked on eBay and didn't see any 02 crf450r can for sell. Any other places to look?