Sign in to follow this  

LHRB for OSSA

Ok, I'm trying to work out a left hand rear brake for my 2014 Explorer.

The rear master is an AJP (I think) with a rectangular type cover (looks like a front brake master turn on its nose).

Rekluse doesn't make an adapter for it, the bolts are about 30mm spacing and I think a 15mm piston. I'd like to stay with a large piston to give better foot brake feel.

Any ideas?

If I just sealed it, couldn't I just put a fitting of the cover and make it work with LH master?

Rekluse says they need the sleeve, but I was thinking if all the air was out and sealed...

Maybe I'm missing something

Mark

Please excuse all the mud

7ed65a9d22fca88cc2dda5c7d41b8e27_zpsb19f

Edited by lotus54

You could install an additional master cylinder on the handlebar if there is room. Long handle Magura Clutch Master and braided hose to caliper.

Edited by sabortooth

I hear you. It may not be possible with that rear master. Even if it is acomplished, the nightmare begins when trying to bleed the system. It would be cool to have a Y in the original line and a cylinder on the bars that would just do its thing.

Edited by sabortooth

Bleeding is pretty easy, just reverse bleed up to the master on the bar. That's how I do my KTM.

The problem with the OSSA is the rear master has a window- pressurizing the reservoir would blow out the window... On the KTM the Rekluse sleeve blocks off the inspection window- but they don't make a setup for is master.

• Like 1

check out the bolt pattern. maybe you can can pick up a used brembo off a ktm

That I did.

Looks like the Brembo is 40mm, this one 30mm.

I could perhaps make up a special mount so I could use a brembo- IF I can get the proper piston size.

I think they went with a slightly larger piston on the 14 OSSA for better brake feel.

But I'll need to get it in a position to do an accurate measurement.

Thanks for the ideas.

Mark

Edited by lotus54

That I did.

Looks like the Brembo is 40mm, this one 30mm.

I could perhaps make up a special mount so I could use a brembo- IF I can get the proper piston size.

I think they went with a slightly larger piston on the 14 OSSA for better brake feel.

But I'll need to get it in a position to do an accurate measurement.

HA is for the ideas.

Mark

It won't matter what the piston size is. once you start using the hand lever, you won't even use the pedal except to hold you when you're stopped.

See if you can fab up an adapter plate

Since it has a manual clutch, I expect to still use the foot brake in many instances.

On my KTM I never use the footbrake, but it has aRekluse.

Plus if I try to learn some trials type stuff you need to use the footbrake and clutch...

But I know what you mean.

I'd just make a bracket to use a common master cylinder that Rekluse makes a kit for.

Like I did on my Husky haha. (Rekluse does make a kit to fit the factory Brembo master, but I already had an old style lhrb kit for a Honda sitting here)

20131020_164504_zpsd63aba89.jpg

Edited by gots_a_sol
  • Like 1

Looks like that will be the easiest way to go.

I just need to measure the piston, measure mounts etc and get an appropriate one.

The Brembo like KTM would be easier, since I have that Setup already on my 300.

Mark

• Like 1

I'd just make a bracket to use a common master cylinder that Rekluse makes a kit for.

Like I did on my Husky haha. (Rekluse does make a kit to fit the factory Brembo master, but I already had an old style lhrb kit for a Honda sitting here)

20131020_164504_zpsd63aba89.jpg

Thats a sweet setup. Looks like it kisses the swing arm from time to time.

Thats a sweet setup. Looks like it kisses the swing arm from time to time.

That mark is from the original frame/master cylinder guard which wrapped around the back of the master. It has been trimmed back, just haven't gotten the bike dirty enough to hide it yet  :lol:

• Like 1