Should be Amateur racing but names look like pro racing to me

Looking at some of the results at Loretta Lynns looks like the term Amateur is used rather loosely - 

Ricky Carmichael

Robby Reynard

Tim Ferry

Looks to me like they need a retired pro class

Retired is the key word here. That means these guys are amateurs too. Yeah they had a great career, but where else are they supposed to race competitively? There is nowhere else to race that fast, with that level of competition for these retired racers.

I'm all for it. Anyone racing in the 25+ class isn't looking to go pro or anything anyway.

• Like 3

Yeh - but think of the poor slob works his butt off to get to the National only to have to line up to Ricky Carmicael - what a bubble buster.

I would think that getting to race against CR would be on a lot of guys bucket list. You are expected to lose against him... but what if you beat him.. You don't have to tell your friends that it was due to a mechanical DNF, do you?

• Like 2

Looking at some of the results at Loretta Lynns looks like the term Amateur is used rather loosely - 

Ricky Carmichael

Robby Reynard

Tim Ferry

Looks to me like they need a retired pro class

All but one rider in the top 10 were a national pros when RC raced that event.

• Like 1

It'd be an honor to get my ass kicked by one of those guys. Face it, unless you're the national champ then there is someone better than you out there, many of those guys who got beat by RC at Loretta's are probably local legends who have destroyed everyone in the local races, some might say it's not fair for them to compete at the local track since they are big time Loretta's pro's. We all can't win all the time.

• Like 3

Actually after you are out of the a class for a certain amount of years you can. There are rules to this stuff. And its not like the ricky that lines up on the gate now is anywhere close to the ricky that raced pro. Stop crying. He isnt a pro anymore. He is a vet class.

Edited by T-Doshi9
  • Like 1

Well then the pros, ex or not, should simply race in the pro races, and accept the fact that they're not the fastest any more. You can't drop down to the B class from the A class at will. Lorretta's is becoming more of a Pro-Am than armature national. 

They're not droping down to the B class, theyre racing the 25 vet class. All the vet classes are stacked with old AMA pros, its where they go when they are to old to race kids.  

• Like 2

Who's crying, just having a conversation - chill out.

its not fair for that guy... you cant just move down..  these guys are pros...  forgive me for seeing that as you are crying about it.  those guys are banned to race ama pro?  what about when a active pro races a local race... wouldn't that not be fair too?  i mean they are the top pro's in the world lining up with the local a class.  same thing.  they are racing a vet class because they are there to just have fun.  they aren't here to make it a career anymore.  and the guys riding in that class are doing the same thing.  i would be ok lining up next to rc and getting my ass handed to me.  like its been said ... what if you beat him?  not many can say that, and the fact that he isn't training and has clearly stepped back in the skill level a bit means that its possible to beat him now. 

• Like 2

The whole point of the rules and classes is so groups can compete with others with similar skill sets and equipment - sort of a level playing field. You think guys who have been racing at the pro level loose those skills ? Those guys learn more about racing at the pro level than you'll ever learn at the amateur level. Carmichael would have to have a really really bad day for anyone to beat him at that level, and then you wouldn't be beating him. If he started training again he'd easily be in the top 10 ... probably 5 at any given national. Loretta's provides a national platform for true amateurs to compete, guys who may have no intention of turning pro. They work very hard to get there, only to find their class filled with ex-pro's. Just seems to me that the ex-pros should have their own class.

wouldn't ex pros have no desire to become pro?  they aren't forced to race a vet class.  if they don't want to line up against the ex pro guys they can make it in a diff class.  your over looking the big picture here.  they worked their asses off to make it to the race.  now they have made it and they get to line up against people like rc mc tf and more.  bottom line is they are no longer pro's.  yes they have learned alot but its a vet class. that means that most in it have raced for 20 years.  so they know alot too. thats the point of that class.  i bet if you ask ANY of those guys that line up against them, they don't have the same feelings that you do.  it wouldn't suck to be beat by rc!  and trust me i like rc more than any other racer... he wouldn't finish top 10 in a national.  he has even said it himself.  he has deff slowed down!  just because rc was what he was when he was racing doesn't mean he is that now.  its all for fun now just like the other guys lining up in that vet class.  i know because i race a vet class (not pro or a).  wouldn't bother me who i line up with. 

• Like 1

what about when a active pro races a local race... wouldn't that not be fair too?  i mean they are the top pro's in the world lining up with the local a class.  same thing.  they are racing a vet class because they are there to just have fun. 

This reminded me of a vid I saw last year of Reed and Ferry racing Dade City MX.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV6XjDku90g

• Like 2