Sign in to follow this  

2002 and 2003 CR250 same cylinder?

I have an 03 cr 250 and the cylinder is screwed and has a crack at the exhaust port. I was curious if I could use a 2002 cylinder on this bike please help

You can use it.  The porting is different however.  It will still work though.

The porting is different however. 

heights, width, angles ?  whats different about it

seems like everyone just regurgitates old crap theyve heard from someone else that doesnt know anything either

• Like 1

They are different in the porting area I am not sure excact specs but when dirtrider reviewed the bike they said it was closer to the factory teams race spec and it had more top end and over-rev. Also the exhaust port was reshaped and thickened which is why the 03 exhaust pipe was a little different.

different porting an diferent power valves.i know this cause I have an 02 an went with the 03 cylinder an had to replace the pover valves.

Kawie

They are different in the porting area I am not sure excact specs but when dirtrider reviewed the bike they said it was closer to the factory teams race spec and it had more top end and over-rev. Also the exhaust port was reshaped and thickened which is why the 03 exhaust pipe was a little different.

different porting an diferent power valves.i know this cause I have an 02 an went with the 03 cylinder an had to replace the pover valves.

Kawie

This is correct on both.   Own both & the 03 has better oem porting specs with a wider powerband that's more noticeable in the lowend.   

Edited by H4L

heights, width, angles ?  whats different about it

seems like everyone just regurgitates old crap theyve heard from someone else that doesnt know anything either

Yep.  I just regurgitated the crap that Honda wrote regarding the changes from 02-03.

NEW FOR 2003:

• New cylinder porting.
  • New eight-petal reed valve.
  • New air intake system offers straighter alignment to produce more direct airflow.
  • Redesigned number plate and inner duct.
  • New foam gasket between airbox and air boot for better sealing and airflow management.
  • New works-shaped expansion chamber.
  • New ignition timing settings help broaden the engine's powerband.

ENGINE:

• Air intake boot is reshaped for more direct airflow, contributing to strong low-speed engine performance.
  • Five-speed close-ratio transmission features thicker second and third gears.

I answered his question.  He asked if it would work, I said yes.  I didn't see in the post him asking about the height, width and angles of the porting.

• Like 1

Yep.  I just regurgitated the crap that Honda wrote regarding the changes from 02-03.

NEW FOR 2003:

• New cylinder porting.
  • New eight-petal reed valve.
  • New air intake system offers straighter alignment to produce more direct airflow.
  • Redesigned number plate and inner duct.
  • New foam gasket between airbox and air boot for better sealing and airflow management.
  • New works-shaped expansion chamber.
  • New ignition timing settings help broaden the engine's powerband.

ENGINE:

• Air intake boot is reshaped for more direct airflow, contributing to strong low-speed engine performance.
  • Five-speed close-ratio transmission features thicker second and third gears.

I answered his question.  He asked if it would work, I said yes.  I didn't see in the post him asking about the height, width and angles of the porting.

c- slack good info thanks for posting.  I forgot about the sticky on top of this forum...

actually all you did was regurgitate what the honda brochure said. new cylinder porting. whoop de do. was probly somethin stupid like new chamfer angles.

Wow, you're miserable!

:thumbsup: He's made very positive posts to me in the past as well.

Wow, you're miserable!

So you, like many others, cracked the exhaust port bridge. you are just going to have to stop running it so lean. lean towards slightly rich jetting and oil mix. you just have to keep that area of the cylinder cooler. when it gets that hot, of course it's going to crack. don't run it lean. Another reason I mix at the much debated ratio of 16:1.

I have an 03 cr 250 and the cylinder is screwed and has a crack at the exhaust port. I was curious if I could use a 2002 cylinder on this bike please help