Sign in to follow this  

39 Fcr or jet? your opinion matters

What's going on TT I'm building up a list of upgrades here for my 2013 sm.

Gonna slap on a Mrd ssw, 3x3, twin air filter and I'm debating on whether to just bite the $500 bullet for the Fcr mx39 carb or just get a jd kit..

it all boils down to money obviously, but I NEED MORE POWER!!!

So... Would a jd kit on the stock carb do the job while saving a few hundred bucks or is the Fcr a night and day difference and absolutely worth it?

Also another question, would changing out the stock cam for a hotcam stage 1 hamper reliability at all?

And what kind of gains are expected?

All and any advice is appreciated thanks.

Matt

As far as the carb, spend the money on the fcr. 

Why spend a hundred bucks on something that wont support any future mods.

Oh, and completly worth it!

Edited by scott525

Having gone both routs ... jetting stock carb .. then getting the FCR

Would just get the FCR and skip the re-jet any day

changing to hot cams, giving the cam installed correctly will not change

reliability

you can go as far as a big bore without hampering reliability. look for e cams first basically the same as hotcams and usually much cheaper. also if you do both intake and exhaust you will mostly gain top end power, just doing the intake will give nice gains in the low end. to keep it cheap just do the intake, if your getting a big bore do both IMHO

hmmm i venture to say everyone will tell you to go with the fcr... but really its all up to you and what your finances look like... my opinion like i said depending on your money go ahead and spend the 100 on a jet kit and then give it however long it takes before getting the fcr...

my personal route? well my g/f offered to get me either the mrd/ssw or the fcr for xmas... and recently i had enough money to get one or the other so i ordered the pipe and knew i would want to ride with the pipe before xmas and/or as long as i can into the winter before it gets too cold! so obviously went ahead and got the jet kit/fuel screw... another positive to doing it this way is if for any reason something happens to the fcr you have a backup carb ready to go! 

I was leaning toward the Fcr mostly because I have plenty of time to save up cash as I'm in no rush also I really didn't want to tear the bike down again to add the fcr if I went with the jd kit...

If i ordered the TT fcr kit is there any other parts I should order or is everything there..?

What kind of gains would we be looking at here if I added the ssw, 3x3, 39fcr, hotcam stage1/e cam, intake.. 5hp?

I was leaning toward the Fcr mostly because I have plenty of time to save up cash as I'm in no rush also I really didn't want to tear the bike down again to add the fcr if I went with the jd kit...

If i ordered the TT fcr kit is there any other parts I should order or is everything there..?

What kind of gains would we be looking at here if I added the ssw, 3x3, 39fcr, hotcam stage1/e cam, intake.. 5hp?

i couldnt say for sure but well over 5hp! hell the ssw alone adds up to 4hp i think? right guys? also tearing the bike down really isnt that bad... as far as taking the tank off and all that... no i know from reading obviously taking the carb out sounds like a pain but the more you do it the better you get at it...

Coming from experience I would just get the fcr and all the other goodies that you suggested too. As far as the fcr and stock carb it is a night and day difference

As for gains with the parts you posted you should be in the 40+hp range

Edited by mickeydee

Yea reading about the removal seems a bit complicated but I'm sure it isn't so bad, I used to have a crf250r and loved to tinker with it, I'm just afraid of losing a bolt or over tightening a nut.

If the gains are 5+hp then it's deff worth it i would think, I love my drz but I'd kill for a 6th gear!!!

Coming from experience I would just get the fcr and all the other goodies that you suggested too. As far as the fcr and stock carb it is a night and day difference

As for gains with the parts you posted you should be in the 40+hp range

That's what I like to hear!!

I'll be able to tell you here in the spring... I put the jd jet kit in this spring when I bought the bike... Now I'm looking for more snap. I'm not super impressed with the jet kit. It did make the bike run better but the boggy slow carb is still not responsive enough. I'm hoping the fcr will give me the throttle response I'm looking for. Going to do the ssw and maybe hot cams at the same time. And ACT gearing if I can scrape up enough money...

I'll be able to tell you here in the spring... I put the jd jet kit in this spring when I bought the bike... Now I'm looking for more snap. I'm not super impressed with the jet kit. It did make the bike run better but the boggy slow carb is still not responsive enough. I'm hoping the fcr will give me the throttle response I'm looking for. Going to do the ssw and maybe hot cams at the same time. And ACT gearing if I can scrape up enough money...

If you do the gearing you should make a video because I also am liking the wider ratio gears. And I'd like to see how this setup runs

Just do it.... :thumbsup: ..

With the Fcr you are controlling the throttle slide with your wrist ....Not relying on incoming air flow to lift the slide as with the stock paper weight...

Hotcams are just part of the performance package, reliability is not affected in any way....

Also consider big bore or single layer base gasket to raise compression.....

If you do the gearing you should make a video because I also am liking the wider ratio gears. And I'd like to see how this setup runs

If you search act gearing drz 400 on YouTube they already have a pretty good video comparing the wr gears to stock using a few different sprocket setups. But if I do put the gears in over the winter I will definitely make up some sort of review/video.

• Like 1

Yea it seems the fcr is the right way to go here.

Alot of people are saying they did the jetting and wished they had just gone with the fcr in the first place so based on that and the fact I want the best bang for my buck I'm gonna order the pipe, carb and do it all at thr same time and hopefully have enough cash for a cam.

• Like 1

There's a middle route, to install a CVK40 carb from a Kawasaki KLR 650 + some modifications. Can be done for ~$200, supposed to work well. Depends what you want :) Given that I don't have much money and like to tinker, I regret getting the jet kit for the stock carb - the CVK40 mod is what I should have done. As for the FCR, I wouldn't spend that amount on a carb for the DR-Z myself, not for what the bike is to me and how I use it.

Edited by Anthon Berg

There's a middle route, to install a CVK40 carb from a Kawasaki KLR 650 + some modifications. Can be done for ~$200, supposed to work well. Depends what you want :) Given that I don't have much money and like to tinker, I regret getting the jet kit for the stock carb - the CVK40 mod is what I should have done. As for the FCR, I wouldn't spend that amount on a carb for the DR-Z myself, not for what the bike is to me and how I use it.

Thanks for the info I will look into it, i plan on getting a set of S wheels as well and a snappier throttle is a must for me since I'm used to a mx bike but i will look into it, all advice is appreciated, thanks

a new fcr39 kit is worth it. it's proven over time and used by many drz400 owners all over the world. also will be ready for a big bore.

Currently available Stage 2 hotcams or proper E Cams (A and B stamped) and FCR