Real question, who hates 4 strokes but hasn't rode a semi new one

Alright, I have been a two stroke guy since I was a wee lad. Currently, I own an 01 and 07 yz 250 and an 85 it 200. Recently, just because the price was right and I planned on reselling, I picked up an 08 yz250f. Literally didn't even think it would leave my garage until I sold it. I was ignorant to riding 4 strokes. I rode an 09 yz450f for about 30 sec and that was all the expierence I had. Let's just say I was stereotypical and really just hated the premise behind the 4 strokes so I really never wanted to ride one. Yes, they are more maintainence heavy, and exceedingly different to ride. More top heavy, not as snappy, etc. But that's neither here nor there.

So while looking at this 250f, obviously I had to ride it. Kind of enjoyed just putting the bike around. It suprised me. So getting it home, decided I would take it to the track the next day, just to really get a feel of it. I honestly loved it. The smoothness to it, the ease of riding, and the speed you get out of them astounded me. I am just here admitting that I was ignorant and hated 4 strokes 100% based on thought. I still love my 2 strokes and they are my bikes of choice but I will say that I am thourougly glad that I purchased this and may look into them into the future.

So my question, is there anyone out there, like I, who wasn't or isn't savvy to the ways of a 4 stroke, an not like them based on premise?

• Like 2

I'm still a 2 stroke guy but when it comes down to racing I gotta give it to the four stroker. Much easier to ride. That being said they are still more costly and IMO not as much fun. Can't beat the snap of a 2 smoker.

I am not disagreeing. I know it will cost me a fortune to really beat on the 4 stroke. But for having every now and again to mess around on, or wanting something different, a change of pace, its great.

They are not that expensive, its just 2strokes are cheap to maintain. I have 2 450 race bikes and they don't cost me anymore to look after. Early 4t race bikes were much worse. Things are a lot better now. I love 2t bikes and I'm looking for 1 right now, both have their place.

Since I focus on supermoto I needed a 4t cause it just works better for that. If I were racing woods or mx as a hobby it would be a smoker.

I'll be honest and up front.The 4 stroker's I've ridden have been nothing but amazing and a whole lot of fun,,,,sure, they are different in many way's and I would not hesitate to own one right now if I didn't have 6 other bike's in the stall (1 street bike).The last bike I was on was the YZ 250 F and I had a blast,it's just turning the darn thing is way different than a two stroke.Found it to be less work also which is somewhat a good thing for this 51 year old.51- ?

Edited by Alan48

The last bike I was on was the YZ 250 F and I had a blast,it's just turning the darn thing is way different than a two stroke.Found it to be less work also which is somewhat a good thing for this 51 year's old.51- ?

How so? I've never ridden a four stroke...

I used to own a couple and have ridden some since. They are good for some people, it's just those people don't include me. I just like 2 strokes and they work better for the type of riding I do.(Technical singletrack type stuff.) The weight of the 4 strokes don't bother me, it's just that the 2 strokes have quicker throttle response and are very hard to stall. 

• Like 2

How so? I've never ridden a four stroke...

I'm probably not the best at explaining this due to my lack of time on 4 stroke's but it feel's more like driving a car when it come's to tight turn's and it feel's like the bike pick's the line for you.I'm sure it has something to do with engine breaking and top heaviness,it's awkward compared to two stroke's where you pick a line,gun and run.

• Like 1

I own a 06 yz478 and a 05 yz295 and the 295 feels significantly lighter, but the 450 has alot more power and torque. Torque right off idle, easy starting with the auto decomp. The 250 signs off pretty early where the 450 keeps revving with power.

Maintenance is not bad at all on the new yz 4 strokes. I put in a piston at 100 hours, check valve clearances every 15 hours- which never moved in 100 hours so far and that's it. Replace the cam chain every other valve inspection. The pistons can last 150 plus hours and the cranks seem to last as well.

I do like each bike equally as they each have there benefits. I like one of each myself. To each there own

• Like 2

I love them all. There is a reason why I have a YZ125, YZ250, YZ250F, and a YZ450F sitting in my garage right now ?  I think the 250F is my favorite bike to ride, the 125 is my second favorite for the fun factor.

• Like 3

I agree with kgmx. The people who hate them never rode them. I added up all my costs last year for my 2- 2 strokes and 2- 4 strokes and believe it or not the 4 strokes were cheaper to maintain. Now these are a yz85 eric gorr 105cc and a yz295. the 4 strokes are a 06 yz450 with a athena 478 kit and a 06 Wr450. the 4 stroke Pistons last twice as long as a 2 stroke, the Yamaha titanium valves are amazing and last a long time. Usually well over 100 hours before they need shimmed even once. The YZ's have amazing reliability.

Now its different with other brands, I ran a crf450 and that was very expensive to keep going. They need Valves every 40-60 hours and have crank problems. Also ran a Rmz for a while with nothing but problems.

I truly do enjoy each type and they each have there own benefits. As long as you maintain your 4 stroke and replace wear items you will be fine. The horror stories come when you expect it to last forever. The only time a 4 stroke costs more is if you let it go and blow it up. Alot more parts to replace if it blows. The average person would be faster on a 4, more torque and power to make up for lost time. Also power right off idle with a long power spread. Just more forgiving. Definitely takes a better rider to ride a 2 stroke

• Like 1

You'd be near $400 for valves on a 4 stroke. $60 each times 5 oem titanium valves. Add $50 to get the seats machined. Now you would only need valves around 100 hours at the soonest only if your having seating issues or if your clearances keep going out of spec. I'm at 110 and 160 hours on each bike. oem titanium valves with 1 percent cylinder leakage and valves well within spec. So consider needing valves around 100-150 hours, maybe longer if you push it

Anyone who "hates" a dirt bike is an idiot.  I have both, and their both great, just different.  I spend way more $$$ fixing my yz, but it's older than my thumper.

I think in general, the people who hate 4-strokes are either jealous that that can't afford a new one or have not had any experience with them.

I just rebuilt top end on my Yz250 , with a cylinder replate and repair I was around $400

That probably wouldnt even get the valves done on a 4-stroke.

I love riding my 250F , but when that blows up I am getting a 125

Funny you mentioned that... Head rebuild on my. 98 400 is going to be 800. That's valves, springs and seat grinding. This is a bike that wasn't maintained well though. I'm sure if it had been, I wouldn't be going through this crap .