Kreiger Cam Chain Tensioners

Why bother, just use the TT Shop.

Top the DRZ page, DRZ popular parts.

Bargain $50.

Edited by Black_DRZ

Why bother, just use the TT Shop.

Top the DRZ page, DRZ popular parts.

Bargain $50.

Support a small business, made in USA, a person to speak with directly if any problems arise, and it's a bargain at $38 shipped.

Support a small business, made in USA, a person to speak with directly if any problems arise, and it's a bargain at $38 shipped.

TT is a privately funded web forum which is free to use, it's also all American made.

Has anyone tried a MCCT from Kreiger Cam Chain Tensioners? He sells them at a very good price and they appear to be a quality part made in the USA. I thought I'd ask around on this one...

http://www.kriegercamchaintensioners.com/

klx650%20800.jpg

No doubt it works as advertised

So since both the krieger and TT work as advertised.. Compare other design features and decide

One is plain unprotected aluminum the other clear anodized.

One uses an OEM style paper gasket to seal against the case, the other uses an O ring.

One used plated steel bolt he other stainless steel

One has a pined hex head for the adjustment side, the other uses two nuts jammed together togive you an adjustment point.

Both have an O ring to seal the body and threads and neither works well....lol both need a dab of rtv on the adjuster threads to stop the oil weep.

Decide based on looks and features or lowest price I guess either of these of the 1/2doz other makers version will all do as advertised... Manually adjust cam chain tension

One is plain unprotected aluminum the other clear anodized. One used plated steel bolt he other stainless steel

I didn't notice that the TT tensioner was anodized.  My biggest concern is with the stainless steel adjuster bolt and locking nut on the TT tensioner.  Introduce an electrolyte to dissimilar metals and you get corrosion.  The salt water around here could very easily be that electrolyte.  It's possible that one day I could go to adjust the MCCT and the threaded aluminum would be the first to go.  I assume that's why it's anodized.

There is a lot more engineering in the ACCT than the manual versions...  The manual item is a pretty simple part, the important thing is to be sure and adjust it correctly.  There are certainly a lot of the TT and APE units being used by members here.  It is amazing how long a cam chain will last once you get rid of the ACCT, I think I ran the same cam chain for over 30K miles in my last motor...

If you are worried about corrosion, I would put some never seize on the threads of the adjuster where it goes through the aluminum housing.

I didn't notice that the TT tensioner was anodized.  My biggest concern is with the stainless steel adjuster bolt and locking nut on the TT tensioner.  Introduce an electrolyte to dissimilar metals and you get corrosion.  The salt water around here could very easily be that electrolyte.  It's possible that one day I could go to adjust the MCCT and the threaded aluminum would be the first to go.  I assume that's why it's anodized.

you're over thinking this. the manual adjuster is a plate, with a threaded hole, and two clearance holes in it. that's all. 

it doesn't matter if it's HDPE, or steel, or titanium, or carbon fiber. all it does is put -some-amount-of-force- against the timing chain guides, to prevent slap. it rarely if ever needs adjustment, or even looking at. paint it pink if you want, or anodize it in rainbow colors, it doesn't care. it's a tensioner. 

that's all. 

you're over thinking this. the manual adjuster is a plate, with a threaded hole, and two clearance holes in it. that's all. 

it doesn't matter if it's HDPE, or steel, or titanium, or carbon fiber. all it does is put -some-amount-of-force- against the timing chain guides, to prevent slap. it rarely if ever needs adjustment, or even looking at. paint it pink if you want, or anodize it in rainbow colors, it doesn't care. it's a tensioner. 

that's all. 

Absolutely.. So if a user is just looking for a plate with two holes and a screw in the center... they should buy the cheapest plate with two holes and a screw in the center they can find..

OR

An informed buyer could look at the differences in the offerings and choose one that best fit their needs and wants.  :thumbsup:

ACCT made into MCCT... I had to buy the O-ring, otherwise only about an hour of my time.  It's not rocket science (but having a lathe helps...).  As long as it covers the same range of adjustment as the ACCT, it will be fine.  Mine has over 50K miles on it and it seems to work fine.

IMAG0484.jpg

• Like 2

I installed one of these, double o-rings so no leakage around the threads.

guj6.jpg

here's the link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ400-manual-cam-chain-tensioner-adjuster-timing-s-e-sm-engine-mcct-new-/281185842006?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item4177fb7356

I have never seen that version MCCT before... Looks very nice.  :thumbsup:

Absolutely.. So if a user is just looking for a plate with two holes and a screw in the center... they should buy the cheapest plate with two holes and a screw in the center they can find..

OR

An informed buyer could look at the differences in the offerings and choose one that best fit their needs and wants.  :thumbsup:

i'm not pushing the 'cheapest you can find' idea. just that it's not a re-ground cam, or offset crank, or multi-stage variable valve timing mechanism... it's a tensioner. :)

• Like 1

i'm not pushing the 'cheapest you can find' idea. just that it's not a re-ground cam, or offset crank, or multi-stage variable valve timing mechanism... it's a tensioner. :)

I agree, and each manufacturer makes them in different ways, different designs, of different materials and finishes.

So while they all perform the same function, they are all different, an informed person will look at the differences and choose the best one for them.

Calling out someone for being wanting to be informed is not helpful  :thumbsup:

None of the design difference may be important to YOU, but there is nothing wrong with someone else learning all there is about the offerings before purchase.