Sign in to follow this  

06 300 xcw mpg

too many variables. what terrain?

I ride mostly singletrack in the Sierra's with my 13/52. 

When I go out to places that need more top end, I change out the CS to a 14 or 15.

Last weekend we did a 75 mile ride that had everything (singletrack, fireroad, pavement) I used 2 gallons for 75 miles.

I ride desert, no racing for now.  So I am rarely on the pipe.  (some sand, hard pack, hills, rocks).  14/18 gearing.    

2 gallons for 75 miles sounds amazing!  I would take that.

You'll be hard pressed to get that out of a 2gallon tank where we ride...even if you're not on the pipe a lot.  The most I've ever gotten was 75 miles of single track on my 2.6.  I usually get 45-50 race miles out of the tank depending how much sand there is.  The reason the high sierra guys get that is they're running tiny jetting

I meant to write 14/48 gearing. 

I really need to get a feel for this.  I am considering plating this bike and want to know what the range is.   Usually, I do most of my dual sporting up in big bear  (4-8K elevation)   and I go about 60-70 miles between gas stops.   Ideally, I'd like to go 80 miles.  

I could always carry some gas, or I could get the clarke gas tank.  But that would give me only 3.5 instead of the 2.9 that is already on there.   

Just trying to figure out what I will do....  short of buying a 450.

I am in the same conundrum.  I want a 100 mile range out of my 300 and my only options is an Acerbis 3.2 (too small) or a big-ass 5.7 or whatver the hell that thing is (too big).  Rumor is a 4.0 gallon is coming out...but I doubt it

I ride with other guys on two strokes up in Big Bear.   Its not a problem to pull in for gas.  Just carry some premix.  But on the big bear dual sport ride, if there's an 80 mile stretch before a gas stop, then I've seen those guys simply carry a gallon of gas in a starbucks coffee container.  Works perfectly.     I guess that's an option.      

Also considering a Lectron carb to maximize fuel efficiency.    Seems like a good thing to have anyway, especially since I'll be at 2500ft one day and about 8000ft the next.

Either way, I'm going to plate the bike and put on a minimalist light setup.   It would be a rare case when I need to carry that extra gallon and keeping that big tank in my garage for those instances is still cheaper than buying another 450 right now.     I'm digging this 300 so much that my next bike may in fact be an e-start 300.    

AZ plate or CA plate. If its the latter, pm me how you're going to do it. We'll compare notes...