Hi guys, looking to get a new bike, coming off a CRF230 and id say im a intermediate rider im 15 and 6ft 140lbs. The 230 just wasnt doing it for me and i was wanting more, power and suspension. I tagged the bikes ive brought it down to and i just wanted some opinions from all sides and some pros/cons. I ride all trails now but would take the new bike on the track eventually. I also want to get into Hare Scrambles with my buddy. My only worries/concerns are that paying for my self on a low budget the 4Ts will be to expensive. On the YZ side the fact of being an MX and that it will lack on longer hills and tight trails where the KDX/CRF will be more friendly and usable. So far the KDX is first choice.

Thanks guys

Edited by TrailRider24

Hi how are you, I would reccommend the Yz125, it is a fantastic bike.  2 strokes are much easier to work on when something goes wrong. also, yz has the most low end torque for a 2 stroke, so the yz would be the best choice of a 2 stroke, plus it is much cheaper to buy and maintain than the crf250r. crf is a great bike too tho

So - here's what you need to ask yourself, are you going to be in the woods more or on the tract. Is the track going to just be an occasional thing. If maintenance expense is a concern, it pretty much knocks the CRF out. Now your down to the KDX and the YZ. Both are about as cheap as you can get maintenance wise. The KDX will have softer suspension and broader power. If your primary goal is woods riding you will probably like the KDX better - the downside is its heavier than the YZ. The YZ is light, but lacks any real bottom end power - on a track and out in the open no big deal, but in tight stuff, especially hilly stuff, its a big deal for a relatively new rider. Both will be livelier and lighter than you 230 so the extra weight of the KDX200 won't bother you (it will be lighter than what your on now).

Edited by oldfrt613

Ok thanks, I've already basically knocked off the CRF and the KDXs are good bikes, my friend has one (96). As for the YZ would putting a gnarl pipe on it would that help? Also a FWW?

They don't make Gnarly pipes for 125's.

As people have said more trails, KDX, more MX the YZ.

If trails and hair scrambles are more you're thing, the KDX is the go. If you ride motocross because it is fun and you couldn't give a rats arse what people think of you (Which is points in your favour): YZ125. Nothing. I repeat: NOTHING is as fun as a flat out assault on a motocross track on a 125. They teach you extremely good habits and are quite cheap to own, light as a feather, easy to start and work on, the list goes on. The crf250R will bring you nothing but extreme expenses, rubbish handling and an extra 20 pounds. At 15 years old, 6 foot and 140 pounds, I'd bet you are quite lanky. 125 it man.

Epic is the only way to describe a kdx in its intended environment. You can take any color mx125 onto a trail and have fun, but instead of focusing on terrain and technique, you get to dilute your focus with gear selection and clutch slipping...........throw in the cost of a FWW,pipe, big tank,kickstand, etc., and you end up with a bike kinda like a kdx but not as much fun and more $$$$

Well another bike has been added to the VS list, kinda. My dad and I went to the dealer because they said they had some leftover 250fs and he realy liked the WR250f. He's brand new to riding and 6ft somewhere around 220+, would this be a good bike for him to cruise around and play around on?? Any thoughts

Thanks, keep 'me coming

Well another bike has been added to the VS list, kinda. My dad and I went to the dealer because they said they had some leftover 250fs and he realy liked the WR250f. He's brand new to riding and 6ft somewhere around 220+, would this be a good bike for him to cruise around and play around on?? Any thoughts

Thanks, keep 'me coming

WR250f is a nice ride, however unless it's used regularly, carb gemlins are an assache with modern fuels. I didnt ride my wr250 for 8 months and the carb was so f'ed up I sold it not running at a tremendous loss. If you ALWAYS run it out of fuel and use a fuel stabilizer, maybe this aint an issue. Otherwise, you must be a carb geenie to keep it running perfect. I know carb basics and once it was dirty, I couldnt get it right again. New jets, cleaning, no luck. ZipTy rebuilds at a cost of about $300 plus parts. If the bike will sit more than get used, I wouldnt buy again.This applies to all FCR carbed bikes.

WR250f is a nice ride, however unless it's used regularly, carb gemlins are an assache with modern fuels. I didnt ride my wr250 for 8 months and the carb was so f'ed up I sold it not running at a tremendous loss. If you ALWAYS run it out of fuel and use a fuel stabilizer, maybe this aint an issue. Otherwise, you must be a carb geenie to keep it running perfect. I know carb basics and once it was dirty, I couldnt get it right again. New jets, cleaning, no luck. ZipTy rebuilds at a cost of about $300 plus parts. If the bike will sit more than get used, I wouldnt buy again.This applies to all FCR carbed bikes.

Ethanol in your fuel? Unless you know what your doing that shit can throw off carbs badly. EDIT: It could also have been a problem with the ethanol degrading the fuel pump.

Edited by Keira2142

alright so im a good person to ask this i have owned a 02 yz 125 and an 07 crf 250r. i ride light you do mostly on trails and hill climbs but occassionally go to the track. the yz i had i loved it i went from a 78 honda 70 to this bike so it took alot of time to get used to the power but its was awesome. it would completely dig up just about any hill and was really fun on the track. it was also very reliable and when it needed to be rebuilt it took about an hour and a half and was reasonably cheap. now for the crf it was a fast bike and had a ton of bottom end but was not as fun to ride i didnt think and it locked up twice on me first time costed 700 and this time im having to part out the bike cause it did more damage then what the bike is worth. so my two since is go with the two stroke and you wont be diappointed and if  you and prettyy good mechanically then you will be able to rebuild it yourself just make sure you dont drop a c-clip from the piston rod down in the engine(been there done that).

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382749995.515188.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382756311.480169.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382756277.077980.jpg
this is my crf problem right now and this shit aint cheap
  • Like 1

Yeah I've never rode a KDX or even seen one before but I know it's a two stroke and that's good for somebody your age as soon as you figure out how to mix fuel if you don't already know. I have always had more fun on trails and track with a two stroke even though you can't seat jump like you can on a four stroke

alright so im a good person to ask this i have owned a 02 yz 125 and an 07 crf 250r. i ride light you do mostly on trails and hill climbs but occassionally go to the track. the yz i had i loved it i went from a 78 honda 70 to this bike so it took alot of time to get used to the power but its was awesome. it would completely dig up just about any hill and was really fun on the track. it was also very reliable and when it needed to be rebuilt it took about an hour and a half and was reasonably cheap. now for the crf it was a fast bike and had a ton of bottom end but was not as fun to ride i didnt think and it locked up twice on me first time costed 700 and this time im having to part out the bike cause it did more damage then what the bike is worth. so my two since is go with the two stroke and you wont be diappointed and if  you and prettyy good mechanically then you will be able to rebuild it yourself just make sure you dont drop a c-clip from the piston rod down in the engine(been there done that).

this is my crf problem right now and this shit aint cheap

I did the exactly same thing last night... It was midnight, very tired, needed to get my bike ready to receive the new top end. Forgot to put a rag over the crankshaft. Had to fish my circlip out with a magnet. THen the magnet broke off in there and I had to fish out bits and pieces of it  :banghead:  :banghead:  spent four hours until I finally got them all. 

I did the exactly same thing last night... It was midnight, very tired, needed to get my bike ready to receive the new top end. Forgot to put a rag over the crankshaft. Had to fish my circlip out with a magnet. THen the magnet broke off in there and I had to fish out bits and pieces of it :banghead::banghead: spent four hours until I finally got them all.

haha we put my bike back together using one old c-clip thinking it flew across the garage and when it wouldn't kick over we new the problem haha pulled it out with a magnet thank god it didn't kick over an get deep in the bottom end