Sign in to follow this  

Colorado PMI: Pueblo still open?

Its starting to get cold again! So I know a lot of us are stoked to ride down in pueblo soon.  Just making sure everything is still open. They were layig water pipe like8 months back, and im hoping that doesn't mean more subdivision.

Anyone got the scoop?

Last time I was down there (spring) a ranger stopped us. It was on a Friday and we were the only ones around. We were climbing the steeper hills below the bluff down toward the lake. He told us everything down there has been closed for quite some time and sent us back up to the flats. He was pretty cool about it and never threatened us with a ticket or anything. There are remnants of a fence along the bluff with many sections cut out of it that mark the closed area. So... Some of the area is still open but all of the challenging stuff is closed.

CoKTM

Last time I was down there (spring) a ranger stopped us. It was on a Friday and we were the only ones around. We were climbing the steeper hills below the bluff down toward the lake. He told us everything down there has been closed for quite some time and sent us back up to the flats. He was pretty cool about it and never threatened us with a ticket or anything. There are remnants of a fence along the bluff with many sections cut out of it that mark the closed area. So... Some of the area is still open but all of the challenging stuff is closed.

CoKTM

been like that for years. the fence didnt last long. The people up top like to complain... thats usually when the rangers show up. Just been waiting for the day that everyone takes the closure seriously and pmi really does die.

The Pueblo Police have more important things to do other than worry about dirt bikes riding "out of bounds".  The real problem is dirt-bags dumping their trash.  I've never been bothered at PMI except when the local "hill-climb" racing club was holding an event  the next day.  They asked that I stay off their bulldozer paths.  Depending on where you park, it's actually a nice place to ride during the winter (and it's free).

Edited by monkeydebt

The Pueblo Police have more important things to do other than worry about dirt bikes riding "out of bounds".  The real problem is dirt-bags dumping their trash.  I've never been bothered at PMI except when the local "hill-climb" racing club was holding an event  the next day.  They asked that I stay off their bulldozer paths.  Depending on where you park, it's actually a nice place to ride during the winter (and it's free).

What is there to do out there?  I Often wonder if making the drive from Den is worth it?  Are the trails easy?

What is there to do out there?  I Often wonder if making the drive from Den is worth it?  Are the trails easy?

anyone from a beginner to a pro can have a good long day of fun riding at pmi. Its not baby riding if you do more than ride the trails around

anyone from a beginner to a pro can have a good long day of fun riding at pmi. Its not baby riding if you do more than ride the trails around

+1  Also a great place for winter riding... a lot of room and a lot of variety. 

"Its simple baby riding."

My friend "Mr. Stone" doing some "baby riding" at PMI.

Pueblo Motorsports Park Nov 2011 015.JPG

I have some stuff there that will make you cry like a baby.

• Like 2

"Its simple baby riding."

My friend "Mr. Stone" doing some "baby riding" at PMI.

Great picture! ha very cool. Yeah, plenty to keep us A riders happy. The hills are enough to keep the spodes away. Babies.. :ride:

RE: Pueblo - Do you guys just park on the north end there by the old track and then head generally south?  I've driven by there on my way to go mtn biking at the reservoir a few times and always intended to give it a shot, but haven't yet.  A friend told me that you used to be able to go a long ways to the west....likely thats the area the dilapidated fence indicates is closed?

Edited by dmac1

An update for anyone considering enjoying PMI... As of 11/15/13 the Parks and Rec rangers (city of pueblo parks) have been out giving verbal warnings about trespassing. In the past few days (maybe up to a week ago) they have been posting "no trespassing" signs along with threats of $1000 fine and up to 1 year jail time if they catch you trespassing. I was hoping this was referring to the jerks that dump their garbage out there but there have been reports from motorcycle riders that the rangers have been contacting them. I imagine these rangers are just prowling the main parking lots and contacting folks as they unload their bikes. I have a feeling if you were to be walking your dog out there or riding your mountain bike out there they wont say a word to you. This seems to be geared towards the off road community, again. This sounds a lot like what happened 2006(I may be off a year) when they tried this the last time and gave up after a few weeks.
I will update with more info as it becomes available. I ride there a lot seeing as it is basically in my backyard and I just ride from my garage. It is unfortunate it has to come to this with the property.

An update for anyone considering enjoying PMI... As of 11/15/13 the Parks and Rec rangers (city of pueblo parks) have been out giving verbal warnings about trespassing. In the past few days (maybe up to a week ago) they have been posting "no trespassing" signs along with threats of $1000 fine and up to 1 year jail time if they catch you trespassing. I was hoping this was referring to the jerks that dump their garbage out there but there have been reports from motorcycle riders that the rangers have been contacting them. I imagine these rangers are just prowling the main parking lots and contacting folks as they unload their bikes. I have a feeling if you were to be walking your dog out there or riding your mountain bike out there they wont say a word to you. This seems to be geared towards the off road community, again. This sounds a lot like what happened 2006(I may be off a year) when they tried this the last time and gave up after a few weeks.

I will update with more info as it becomes available. I ride there a lot seeing as it is basically in my backyard and I just ride from my garage. It is unfortunate it has to come to this with the property.

My daughter and I went to PMI yesterday to ride. The "city park ranger" stopped us and told us to leave before we even unloaded. The word from him was until next Thursday, verbal warnings, starting Friday, they will start ticketing. And Yes, I was told by this "ranger", $1000 fine and up to 1 year in jail if you are caught out there. This supposedly applies to ANYONE. If you are going to the dragstrip or road course run by Faast Motorsports, no issue as long as you are on the paved road. Time to have a talk with the city council. I will not state my actual opinion of the city leaders and of this "ranger" who was a J%$#^SS"!

Fabulous, the only decent open riding area on the front range and Pueblo can't figure out how to simply fence it off and charge for admission. But - they can post signs all over and station a "ranger" out there to threaten people. Nice.

I'd gladly fork over $20-$30 to ride all day with the kids at PMI vice any of the other subpar "off road" non-MX options available outside of the mountains.

Closure is supposedly "temporary" and related to the ever accumulating piles of trash, which of course are deposited at 3AM when nobody is riding anyway. It would be nice if the local ATV and dirt bike crowd that uses PMI would pay regular visits to the city council and get this unscrewed - the people that ride there can be part of the solution, if the city will listen.

Edited by xsrdx

This is Mike and Jennifer Knox. Hello to all!
Jennifer (my 13 year old daughter) is the main reason we are pursuing
this issue of PMI being closed. Jennifer and I have appeared on the local news. Jennifer decided to pursue the issue. We are going in front of city council this Monday the 25th of Nov. We are going to use an Open Forum procedure thay have in place. Here is the info; The meeting starts at 7 pm. All persons wishing to speak at the open forum must sign up. Sign up starts at approximately 6:45 pm. The person has 5 minutes to speak. They speak in the order on the list. I was hoping to have Jennifer as the 1st speaker. The meeting is at Pueblo City Hall; 1 City Hall Pl.; Pueblo, Co. Any other questions please let me know.
Thank you!
Mike and Jennifer

PMI UPDATE!!! I have several people contact me about sending emails or contacting the city concerning PMI. PLEASE, PLEASE, If you contact them or send emails, be RESPECTFUL when you express your concerns, offer comments, and even suggestions to the city. Lets show them that we are a group of people that do not "fly off the handle".
Thank you everyone!

Thank you Mike for making this info available! I've been at some of the council work sessions recently. I think a lot of good can come from going to them. I won't see you this Monday due to work but maybe I'll run into you soon. Thanks again!