PMI: Pueblo still open?

Thanks for posting that link. I got a good laugh out of the map. Mt bike, equestrian, off leash dog and geo cache area?... I see that flying over like a sack of bricks. All fun and games till someones horse gets spooked by a dog that was off a leash. Furthermore, I mountain bike a lot more than I ride the big bike.-there are a ton of other areas I would rather ride than the vast tumbleweed infested lands of the west end of the property as well. There have been many maps/plans of what to do with the property. They never fail to humor me. Like the one involving an amusement park... Even this current map with its plan for a water park. How can they be serious with that? There is an existing park known as Rock Canyon right next to the river (not out in the prairie).

Considering they want to connect PW with Pueblo via a new road through the property options will be limited. We can just hope they keep something open to ride on. Fountain Creek and RAM are looking pretty good the more I think about this...

Thanks for posting that link. I got a good laugh out of the map. Mt bike, equestrian, off leash dog and geo cache area?... I see that flying over like a sack of bricks. All fun and games till someones horse gets spooked by a dog that was off a leash. Furthermore, I mountain bike a lot more than I ride the big bike.-there are a ton of other areas I would rather ride than the vast tumbleweed infested lands of the west end of the property as well. There have been many maps/plans of what to do with the property. They never fail to humor me. Like the one involving an amusement park... Even this current map with its plan for a water park. How can they be serious with that? There is an existing park known as Rock Canyon right next to the river (not out in the prairie).

Considering they want to connect PW with Pueblo via a new road through the property options will be limited. We can just hope they keep something open to ride on. Fountain Creek and RAM are looking pretty good the more I think about this...

One by one, all the places we can ride on public lands are closing. If they haven't closed yet, there are likely restrictions in place that didn't exist previously. Suggest everyone get involved in trying to keep stuff open.  I've never even yet ridden at PMI and now never may be able to. Imagine our kids....what will be left for them....or their kids?  I know...preaching to the choir mostly.

What are Fountain Creek and RAM. Maybe I better hit them before they too are gone.

Thanks.

Edited by dmac1

.What are Fountain Creek and RAM. Maybe I better hit them before they too are gone.

Thanks.

Private tracks that you can pay $10 to ride for the day. Not a big deal when you don't have to worry about piles of garbage dumped in the trail or people shooting in your direction while you're riding. Or getting a ticket for trespassing on Pueblo City property.

What are Fountain Creek and RAM. Maybe I better hit them before they too are gone.

As stated they are both private riding areas near COS.  Both are directional (mostly) and both offer some other riding besides the 'main track/trail'.  And both are venues for the CORCS hare scramble series if you want to look on youtube or wherever... you can find a lot of videos of each.  RAM is more MX-centric while Fountain is more Trail-centric (imho).  Fountain consists of tight sometimes ST like trail through trees and sand. 

I think at this stage in the game we are lucky to have them as possible riding options. 

How do you get to Fountain Creek from Denver?

South on I25. Its a few min south of COS. Get off I25 at PPIR and head east. First right hand turn after the rail road crossing. The road goes past a few properties/homes and takes you to the trails. There is a little shed that you can deposit your money into and a sign in sheet.

Hello All!  I wanted to share a recent Facebook post from Mike Knox of Pueblo.  This is in regards to the PMI closure, and the Pueblo City Council meeting that occurred Monday evening (11/26/2013). The issue was not on the official Council agenda, but Jennifer and I were able to speak in a limited open community forum.  I want to thank Jennifer Knox for being brave and EFFECTIVE in front of approximately 100 citizens and City Council.   It was exciting to meet other parents with daughters that are passionate about riding dirt bikes.   It is important for EVERYONE to make a simple phone call or write a quick e-mail to at least one of our other City Council Representatives. Let them know you and your family enjoy riding Pueblo Motorsports Park.

My area City Council Representative (Sandy Duff) was in contact with me prior to the meeting and has demonstrated sincere support for our continued ability to ride the Motorsports Park and even pushed the issue although it was not on the agenda.   Sandy called me this morning to let me know that the Council agreed to select a group of OHV advocates to actively participate in planning and decisions surrounding use of the Motorsports Park. 

It appears that when Mike and I left the meeting, somehow “fireworks’ started among Council and the topic was openly discussed.  This is significant because it shows that we have members on the City Council that actively support us!

I believe the Motorsports Park has potential to be a great place to ride.  I personally envision an Endurocross track, Motorcross track, peewee track, trials park etc.  I believe that if the park is planned intelligently (to appeal to a broad spectrum of users), we have a better chance of tapping in to OHV funds, city money, and state grants.   I would like help connecting with anyone from the ATV or UTV crowd that wants to put in the time and effort to secure our future access to the Motorsports Park. 

Thank Jennifer and everyone that showed up to support the cause!

Andy

(From Mike Knox) !!!PMI UPDATE!!!

Important, please read!

Jennifer Olivieri-Knox spoke in front of the Pueblo City Council tonight during the open forum section. She was speaker #3. What follows is a synopsis of the evening.

We arrived and Jennifer signed up to speak. The President of the council called Jennifer up and she gave her speech. She received a very good applause from the people present (100 or so?). The President of city council thanked her for her very well prepared speech. During the speech, the faces of the council had some very interesting looks and comments were being made among the members. After the speech, a lot of people made comments to Jennifer and myself concerning her speech. She also had a meeting with Mr. Steven(?) Meier(?) , the City Parks and Rec director. As we were still standing outside the chambers approximately 30-45 minutes after Jennifer spoke, the security guard grabbed us and told us city council members were talking about the PMI closure issue. We did not hear all that was said. I feel that Jennifer made a big impression on the council. We shall see! Andy Dodge also spoke on the PMI issue. He brought up further points that I feel also had the city council asking questions. There was some support for us, Not as much as we had hoped for (hint, hint!). Thank you to all who did show up!!!

Edited by monkeydebt
  • Like 1

I think all should know that Jennifer is my 13 year old daughter. She is in 7th grade, a champion MX and SX racer for the last 6 years. She contacted the local news stations. We were interviwed by KOAA chaneel 5 here. We then made the city council meeting. On my Facebook page I have posted the speech she gave. Please remember all- We need to work with the city to get PMI reopened. All correspondence with them should be respectful. State your concerns , suggestions, etc. BUT please be respectful.

• Like 1

South on I25. Its a few min south of COS. Get off I25 at PPIR and head east. First right hand turn after the rail road crossing. The road goes past a few properties/homes and takes you to the trails. There is a little shed that you can deposit your money into and a sign in sheet.

Oh...ok....I've been there. I've just known it is PPIR. Directional for sure, but hard to figure out which way is which first time. One time we were there and they'd decided to run opposite way...was ok when the people who so decided were there, then late in the day some new guys came and he was pissed we were going wrong way. Tried to talk to him, but didn't work out. We just switched around to normal direction.

.I've heard of a place where enduros are/were ran with big rocks and such. I guess it was by Walsenburg. I know it was on private property. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks.

Edited by dmac1

There were several riders at Texas Cr yesterday, although there appears to be some snow still around...

S131129TexasCrA.jpg

I stopped in to see who was riding, and there were about a dozen ATV trailers in the pits, but the guy pictured above and his buddy were parked nearby.  I wanted to ask him how much snow was on the north side, but he seemed to be in a hurry.

Texas Cr is a lot closer than Pueblo, and much more interesting.

http://rickramsey.net/TexasCr.htm

:ride:

Edited by ramz

Hello all.  I would like to ask everyone that has ridden Pueblo Motorsports Park, or may be interested in riding, to go to our Facebook page “Friends of Pueblo’s OHV Park” and click “like”.   We are in the lobbying phase of an effort to build a comprehensive motorsports park at the Honor Farm property.   We are going to advance the concept of a peewee track, endurocross track, motocross track, and trials park. We are marketing this park to City Council as a great family-focused activity.  Also, we are promoting the economic benefits of having people travel to our city to participate in OHV activity.  We believe the park is important to the health of our local motorcycle dealerships and overall economy.

If you know anyone that is passionate and knowledgeable about trials or ATV’s please ask them to contact me.  In the meantime, please feel free to post your favorite pics of family or yourselves participating in your preferred mode of recreation.  Keep it classy Colorado! :ride:

ron-burgundy-2.jpg

• Like 1

Hello all.  I would like to ask everyone that has ridden Pueblo Motorsports Park, or may be interested in riding, to go to our Facebook page “Friends of Pueblo’s OHV Park” and click “like”.   We are in the lobbying phase of an effort to build a comprehensive motorsports park at the Honor Farm property.   We are going to advance the concept of a peewee track, endurocross track, motocross track, and trials park. We are marketing this park to City Council as a great family-focused activity.  Also, we are promoting the economic benefits of having people travel to our city to participate in OHV activity.  We believe the park is important to the health of our local motorcycle dealerships and overall economy.

If you know anyone that is passionate and knowledgeable about trials or ATV’s please ask them to contact me.  In the meantime, please feel free to post your favorite pics of family or yourselves participating in your preferred mode of recreation.  Keep it classy Colorado! :ride:

Thanks for coordinating and leading this effort, PMI is a unique asset for the region and the City Council ought to recognize the potential financial gain it represents.

It's the only large open riding area on the front range truly suitable for all skill levels and motorcycle types. I hope the community will compel the council to figure out a way to keep it open.

Edited by xsrdx
  • Like 2

Sent my old man a link to this thread. These are his comments. We both have been riding at pmi since the glory days. When it was busy and 20+ guys would all sit at the bottom of a hill and watch rider by rider fail.

Wow, really cool you started this.

I read the link though regarding the Honor Farm etc. Sounds like per the conservation requirements the park must be run without the bikes. If the city decides to let the bikes "legally" ride then the city is open to being sued; for good reason. Lets pretend your a billionaire and you donate at your death an incredible piece of land and "designate" it for hunting, hiking, nature loving etc. Now pretend the land is overrun with ATV's. if the city is policing it, citing atv riders etc. then the city is in compliance, but if the city say's it's ok to ride, then your death donation and wish are not being honored (no pun intended).

It don't know if the city could legally turn PMI into a riding area like it is today. Maybe a public vote could override those that appose (i.g. the people on the hill)? I'm no lawyer but I would guess it is possible to "change" a persons donation wishes for "the public good". Example, say a hundred years from now, perhaps the city could need for the public good to turn the Honor Farm into a much needed reservoir. An eminent domain type of situation could override a death donation I presume. Conservation donations of this type generally must be enforced "to the letter", these things generally are rock solid, non changeable, from what I understand. Maybe I'm wrong?

The lawyers are in charge. Perhaps the city could see to appreciate the current situation, not as just an OHV area but also as one that it is being enjoyed by so many; including families, youth, locals, tourists, AND especially businesses. Money does sell. Regardless the city needs to understand the way the land is currently being used is huge in positive human enjoyment at the family and all levels. As it is clearly an "established" OHV riding area, and not much anything else, to let the letter of the law destroy what the land is best obviously being used for (OHV riding), is in "essence" a dishonor to the the Honor family who donated it.

If the Honor families intent was for optimum public enjoyment then the path is clear. Expand on what already exists.

I'm putting something together to send to the city. I'll send it to ya.

PMI help raise me as a rider, I also raised you at PMI. Imagine our lives right now if PMI never existed...

Post my comments if you wish, I could be totally off track, never know.

Later Dude
cleardot.gif

Well as far as liability it is actually something easily solved. A waiver form ends it, Fountain Creek does the same thing. But if there is liability for dirt bikes then it is the same for hikers, MTB'ers etc. etc. typically public lands are are free from the ability to file suit. Otherwise we would have no public parks at all.

There were several riders at Texas Cr yesterday, although there appears to be some snow still around...

S131129TexasCrA.jpg

I stopped in to see who was riding, and there were about a dozen ATV trailers in the pits, but the guy pictured above and his buddy were parked nearby.  I wanted to ask him how much snow was on the north side, but he seemed to be in a hurry.

Texas Cr is a lot closer than Pueblo, and much more interesting.

http://rickramsey.net/TexasCr.htm

:ride:

50 miles of atv trails and roads dont seem all that interesting

• Like 1