Sign in to follow this  

Cylinder is missing a spot of chrome

I'm sure someoIne out there has put a cylinder back on that was missing a spot of chrome. What was the outcome? How long did it last? is it worth using if your on a budget and are just looking for a dirt bike to ride?

I don't want any replies from anyone who hasn't tried it. I'm well aware it isn't ideal. Let's get some dialog from some guys that have tried it.

Cheers Mates and Thanks in advance. :-)

Sure have, first to go is under the exhaust port and corners of the intake.  Expect short piston life but you would be surprised how much you can get away with.   Missing plating above the exhaust port is not good, though and may lead to a seizure.

• Like 1

I would be more leary on a thumper.  When you shatter a piston on a 2-stroke it's not always that damaging.  Shatter one on a 4-stroke and you almost always be screwed.

Assuming a contemporary Nikasil plated MX four stroke, if the plating flakes within the area swept by the rings, you'll use oil, see smoke under a load, have increased blow-by and crankcase pressure, and it may make noise.  The condition will degenerate rapidly into a star-spangled disaster.

If the plating wears through and exposes the aluminum of the cylinder to the action, all of the above listed symptoms may be present, or shortly will be.  Can still blow apart, maybe not as dramatically as in peeling/flaking, but still... Seizures are another possibility.

Bad thing, all in all.

• Like 1

Is it worn through or did it flake off?  If it's worn through then you know the cylinder is a least .003" too big in that area and it's ready for a re-coat.  It will certainly still run an engine.  If it flaked off then most likely you are heading for catastrophic failure.

I have reused some pretty nasty cylinders just to get by for a ride or two,  (I have used acid and a pic to dig chunks of aluminum out of the cylinder wall, sanded it down, just so I could fit a used piston in it for one ride)  so without seeing the cylinder, my guess is it will work, but for how long is any ones guess!

If you’re on a budget recoat the cylinder or should I say have it recoated. That’s the cheapest way in the long run.

I'm sure someoIne out there has put a cylinder back on that was missing a spot of chrome. What was the outcome? How long did it last? is it worth using if your on a budget and are just looking for a dirt bike to ride?

I don't want any replies from anyone who hasn't tried it. I'm well aware it isn't ideal. Let's get some dialog from some guys that have tried it.

If you are on a budget, stop riding, wait to get a few dollars in your pocket and sent it out for repair.  You will spend less than you would if the piston seizes to the cylinder wall and the con rod snaps of and plays 'Punch and Judy' with your cylinder, cases, counter balancer, and anything else that it is long enough to reach. 

I have put a cylinder back on that was marginal and the next ride was indeed the last for that bike, forever.  The repair was too expensive.  It wasn't my bike and it wasn't my decision, I just did the wrench turning.  Bad decision on my part to even do that much.

If you send it to the plating service people directly, you'll save the shop handling fee.  Just look up nikasil on any search engine. 

Any updates on the cylinder?