Sign in to follow this  

Advice...interested in a -14 RMZ250 but ?

I rode a new 2013 RMZ250 last weekend. Was very impressed by the bike. Great fun motor and awesome chassi !

I really started looking into maybe buying a 2014 RMZ250 but then I went in to TT forum and looked at all posts about transmission problems, bad bolts and washers and other quality problems. This made me really doubt buying a yellow bike !

Really sad because I really liked the bike and had so much fun on it. But I hate bad quality and wouldn´t want to spend days in a hospital just because the transmission failed and missed a gear going up a jump or something like that.

Am I overreacting or is there need for concern ?

Honest answers please ! :thumbsup:

I rode a new 2013 RMZ250 last weekend. Was very impressed by the bike. Great fun motor and awesome chassi !

I really started looking into maybe buying a 2014 RMZ250 but then I went in to TT forum and looked at all posts about transmission problems, bad bolts and washers and other quality problems. This made me really doubt buying a yellow bike !

Really sad because I really liked the bike and had so much fun on it. But I hate bad quality and wouldn´t want to spend days in a hospital just because the transmission failed and missed a gear going up a jump or something like that.

To each his own i guess, but FWIW i did not have any issues with my 09 (about 120hrs till sold), and i havent had any issues with my 11 (upto 80hrs now). i too had concerns but i have done what i could to eliminate any possibility of damage to the transmission and it seems to have worked for me. otherwie the bike has been as reliable as any other brand that i have owned (honda 4T's and yamaha 2T's) and i couldnt be happier. 

Really sad because I really liked the bike and had so much fun on it. But I hate bad quality and wouldn´t want to spend days in a hospital just because the transmission failed and missed a gear going up a jump or something like that.

every brand has their issues.. I have never owned any other bike other than yellow.. I know that the tranny sux. The bolts are only weak for an individual who cranks on their stuff.. finally, save your money and get a 2013.. the 2014 is the same as 2013.. I own the 2013.. Freggin love it.. but I did replace tranny parts to keep it from dropping gears or hitting false neutrals

I own a 2013 rmz250. Im a B rider in new england and have over 50 hrs since new. Thing still starts 1st or 2nd kick, valves have never been adjusted. Not easy on the bike, ride the rev limiter constantly. no problems here

HRC, NOTHING to worry about with a 13/14 rmz250 imho...my 13' tranny has been flawless, as has the rest of the bike. Seems very well built to me, and i have owned them all. 55hrs of MX practice and HS racing...still on stock clutch plates. Only mod has been RS4 yosh muffler, and only because i got it dirt cheap!

Some people have issues with them some people don't. If you stomp on the clicker and constantly jam gears and don't maintain it correctly it will fail you. None of these machines will withstand relentless abuse. I would take what people say here with a grain of salt. You don't know what they've done to it, how they ride or maintain it. A lot of the jabber on here comes from a pre conceived notion of this motorcycle. Some people here anticipate that this will happen to them. If you are aware that this transmission is a weakpoint then you should care for it accordingly. Make sure you're making a full shift, use the clutch and change your oil.

• Like 6

People who have RMZs and have gear box problems learn how to change gears properly! It's the rider stuffing them up not the bike

I haven't really heard of a confirmed case of this myself. It's here say until then. The only case I know of is some guy on youtube that posted a video back in 2010 of him hitting a false neutral. Other people on youtube with 11-13 bikes say they don't have any problems at all. I'm not convinced that they are that weak. I have no trouble saying that they aren't the best transmissions BUT I don't really think it's what everyone makes it. From what I mainly hear is that guys with 07-09s have the transmission problems. Of course the 04-06 but who's counting those anyway?

There must be something about the newer transmissions. I haven't really had any problems shifting my 2012. It feels alright but it did feel gritty in the beginning because of break in.. I don't know. Treat it right and I think it will return the favor. I'm lightning fast on mine. No joke.

I have a 2011 rmz250 and I have put about 8 hours on it, previously it had about 40. I have had no trouble shifting except to get the bike into neutral, which I guess is good in a way because it means you don't hit false neutral as much

HRC, here's an honest answer.

1. I see far more issues with RED than Yellow...In fact, I don't think I've seen any issues, but I'm speaking of the 450. so perhaps there's something with the 250 only?
  2. Again, 450, but I know several with 80-100hrs on their 450 with ZERO issues and still run the stock piston and no valve changes..This includes myself.
  3. While you may be new to Yellow, your first ride should be telling how good this brand is. It usually just takes one ride and you'll be hooked.
  4. Yellow requires very little if any mods to use. The bike is great right from the showroom.
  5. I'm looking to add a 250 to compliment my 450.

Good luck.

• Like 2

It is exclusive to the 250. The proposed flaw is that the spring doesn't apply enough pressure to keep the shift fork in place. What some dudes have been doing is installing the 450 spring in the 250. The thing about that is, the effected components are dependent on the characteristics of the original spring. When you install the 450 spring, it is stiffer. It changes the shifting behavior + who knows what effect it has on the other parts.

My 2011 will hit 200 hours this weekend .  perkybewbs has it right. We race in a big series and the only place I here of problems is this forum. We are going to buy a new one soon. Best 250F made.

Some people have issues with them some people don't. If you stomp on the clicker and constantly jam gears and don't maintain it correctly it will fail you. None of these machines will withstand relentless abuse. I would take what people say here with a grain of salt. You don't know what they've done to it, how they ride or maintain it. A lot of the jabber on here comes from a pre conceived notion of this motorcycle. Some people here anticipate that this will happen to them. If you are aware that this transmission is a weakpoint then you should care for it accordingly. Make sure you're making a full shift, use the clutch and change your oil.

It is exclusive to the 250. The proposed flaw is that the spring doesn't apply enough pressure to keep the shift fork in place. What some dudes have been doing is installing the 450 spring in the 250. The thing about that is, the effected components are dependent on the characteristics of the original spring. When you install the 450 spring, it is stiffer. It changes the shifting behavior + who knows what effect it has on the other parts.

I switched out my detent spring for the 450 spring.. it made a world of difference.. the shifts are so positive now. And the shift lever is not stiffer.. you beraly touch it and it shifts.. its awesome

I switched out my detent spring for the 450 spring.. it made a world of difference.. the shifts are so positive now. And the shift lever is not stiffer.. you beraly touch it and it shifts.. its awesome

also I put a ball bearing detent arm in it.. so smooth.. no more notchiness from what I have experienced so far

For the spring and detent ball bearing arm you've installed, does this require a split of the cases or just the clutch side opened up?

thx