Sign in to follow this  

Ktm open cartridge fork.. Will the work

Long story short I bought an sxf in the spring that I have set up for hare scrambles and enduros. It seems I over looked the fact that the previous owner had put open carts from an xcw on the bike, which every one knows are not as good as the closed cart that it's supposed to have. I am a pretty aggressive A rider with more of a "run it over" riding style. I am doing my suspension over the winter, either Evan at Solid or Factory Connection. As they are now the forks blow, both tuners say they can make them work but I'm looking for real world opinions. I am considering a Showa conversion from a 2007-2008 crf 250r or a 48mm kyb SSS fork conversion. Any thoughts?

Edited by Woodsweapon350

If its the 14mm damper rod ( very old fork ) I would give up on it , the later ones were a bit better but for a fast rider I don't think you will ever be 100% happy

which every one knows are not as good as the closed cart that it's supposed to have.

Are they?! :rolleyes:

As mog said the older style cart with two 28mm pistons is not as good as the newer ones with the smaller reb/mv piston.

You may check that first. The axle lug should have some signs with the year of production. Since 09 the forks have the smaller mv/reb piston.

If your a fast rider, either buy some CC forks for it or do the showa conversion.

The OC forks can work equally as well, if not better the CC forks.....They will be quite a bit plusher and maybe not handle the huge hits as well as the CC but will be the same in performance everywhere else....

The only reason I switched forks to CC was because I could. If the option wasn't available, I wouldn't have done that.....

• Like 1

Long story short I bought an sxf in the spring that I have set up for hare scrambles and enduros. It seems I over looked the fact that the previous owner had put open carts from an xcw on the bike, which every one knows are not as good as the closed cart that it's supposed to have. I am a pretty aggressive A rider with more of a "run it over" riding style. I am doing my suspension over the winter, either Evan at Solid or Factory Connection. As they are now the forks blow, both tuners say they can make them work but I'm looking for real world opinions. I am considering a Showa conversion from a 2007-2008 crf 250r or a 48mm kyb SSS fork conversion. Any thoughts?

I did a little writeup in the KTM 2T section comparing 300's.  Some of it has to do with the CC vs OC deal.  Check the thread out and PM me if you have any questions or if I can point you in the right direction...

in order of most crappy

12mm rod 28mm pistons 2007 and 2008

14mm rod 28mm pistons pre 2007

from 09 on they used the cartridge from the CC fork these are quite good but never as consistent as the WP CCs

of the closed chamber forks the showa TCs i would avoid...  i don't like their Midvalve. the KYBs are nicer IMHO