CRF250L Kickstart conversion?

Is there such a thing? I'm planning to head out on the TAT next year. Trying to make a list of all the things I need/want. I do believe a backup kickstart would sure come in handy.

Is there such a thing? I'm planning to head out on the TAT next year. Trying to make a list of all the things I need/want. I do believe a backup kickstart would sure come in handy.

I do not believe it to be possible as we have a unique and newly designed engine shared with the CBR. 

something to consider would be to bring along a new fully charged battery. I think the lightest ones only weigh 1.46 lbs

I do not believe it to be possible as we have a unique and newly designed engine shared with the CBR. 

something to consider would be to bring along a new fully charged battery. I think the lightest ones only weigh 1.46 lbs

That's the current plan. Going to be honest, would be nice to have a kickstart though.

I'm working with a local shop to have the rear subframe reinforced to support carrying a load long-term. I've seen too many bikes snap back there. The extra battery is more troubling in terms of cube than weight.

I am not much of an "Adventure" guy ..... I go to OHV parks with my boy and also ride around town. I would love to be able to do some type of adventure trip with my son when he turns 16 ....  :thumbsup:

Edited by gnath9

I am not much of an "Adventure" guy ..... I go to OHV parks with my boy and also ride around town. I would love to be able to do some type of adventure trip with my son when he turns 16 ....  :thumbsup:

Me either! This will be my first real adventure. I'm sure 'all the things' will go wrong but it's currently at the top of my bucket list. My profession is logistics & supply chain so I'll probably over-plan. This is just part of it. 

I've owned the little CRF for a few months now and have nearly 3000 miles on the odometer. She hasn't hiccuped or failed me yet. I think she'll do it.

I've owned the little CRF for a few months now and have nearly 3000 miles on the odometer. She hasn't hiccuped or failed me yet. I think she'll do it.

I have had mine almost a year now (only 1200 miles)  and I have complete confidence in it .... :thumbsup:   

I just ride it for fun and since I take my boy to school I can not ride it to work ... plus I like my early morning coffee too much ...  :goofy:

Edited by gnath9

I have had mine almost a year now (only 1200 miles)  and I have complete confidence in it .... :thumbsup:   

I just ride it for fun and since I take my boy to school I can not ride it to work ... plus I like my early morning coffee too much ...  :goofy:

I figure, while I'm 28 years young, I'll take advantage of my time with no kids and risk my life!

Growing up all the neighborhood kids road dirt bikes. That's how I got into this whole ordeal. There were a group of dads who would take all the kids up to the mountains to ride each weekend. Looking back I have no clue how they kept up with us. Pretty sure they were superhuman. The CRF250L will play that role one day, I hope.

back about 23 years ago when I was 28 .... I rode a 1981 RM250 I got from a guy who raced the national circuit with it ...  :eek:

that bike was crazy fast and just plain silly in the woods but, after a few hundred bucks and some de-tuning I got it all geared up for the trails. :ride:  I always had a spare spark plug and wrench tapped to the bars I really miss those days and agree with you .... enjoy your youth ...  :prof:

1981_RM250X_side_500.jpg

You could always bump start the thing. Doesn't take much to turn over the small piston in these things.

Out of curiosity I tried bump starting while I was out hunting on it a couple of weeks ago. With 13/42 gears it bumped fine in 2nd gear. In first it just locked up. 3rd would probably work too, didn't try it though. I was happy with 2nd.

You could always bump start the thing. Doesn't take much to turn over the small piston in these things.

Haha, true. There's always that.

Out of curiosity I tried bump starting while I was out hunting on it a couple of weeks ago. With 13/42 gears it bumped fine in 2nd gear. In first it just locked up. 3rd would probably work too, didn't try it though. I was happy with 2nd.

I tried bump starting mine in 3rd a few weeks ago and it worked great. Just got it rolling down hill at a good clip before letting the clutch out. If the battery is completely dead a bump start might not work. I've been running a 4 cell Ballistic battery in my bike for over a year now... Weighs 0.9lbs. No problems, and it doesn't need a battery tender. They lose, something like, less than 10% of their charge in a year if sitting in storage.

Kray - I wouldn't carry a spare battery. I would make some lightweight jumper cables and carry them. I've been in some of the "most remote" places on earth and sooner or later you will see you're not alone out there. Someone will lend a helping hand ...... or jump start.

Edited by Red Rider-

Just remembering kick starting makes my back hurt--i do not miss that part of Motorcycling-- :p :p

I tried bump starting mine in 3rd a few weeks ago and it worked great. Just got it rolling down hill at a good clip before letting the clutch out. If the battery is completely dead a bump start might not work. I've been running a 4 cell Ballistic battery in my bike for over a year now... Weighs 0.9lbs. No problems, and it doesn't need a battery tender. They lose, something like, less than 10% of their charge in a year if sitting in storage.

Kray - I wouldn't carry a spare battery. I would make some lightweight jumper cables and carry them. I've been in some of the "most remote" places on earth and sooner or later you will see you're not alone out there. Someone will lend a helping hand ...... or jump start.

safe to use on most other bikes/cars? I'm kinda dense when it comes to electronics. Cars a 14.4V right? What are our bikes?

safe to use on most other bikes/cars? I'm kinda dense when it comes to electronics. Cars a 14.4V right? What are our bikes?

Dude your only 28 ....  :lol:

Back in the day when I was 28 .... we would just walk 14.4 miles for help ...  :p

Don't over think it .... just go !!!

live and experience it .... you will never forget these adventures you are about to partake in .... trust me ...  :prof:

Just go ... enjoy yourself .. I am sure you ain't no dummy and everything will work out beyond your wildest dreams !!! ...  :ride:

Next spring I will be buying my boy a CRF150F and and I hope to somehow find us a vacation adventure somewhere !!! 

I am thinking some kind of guided tour in either the southwest or Colorado ....  :excuseme:

The wife and i went to Alaska on our Motorcycle two up and back alone--had a great time--even tho it rained almost the whole month--Just go for it i say and let the chips fall where the may--you'll get thru it!! :ride: :ride:

The CRF250L is a standard 12 volt system. Most automobile and motorcycle charging systems put out 14 - 15 volts to fully charge the battery. Our CRF250L manual says that our bikes charge the battery at 15.5 volts. You should be able to start your bike with a jump start from just about anybody that you can flag down! Look for some ATV jumper cables. They're perfect for what you need.

I also wouldn't wire any accesories directly to the bikes battery. Some phone chargers / USB power outlets have a small draw on the battery even when not in use. I would wire these only to a circuit that is powered when the bike is running. Most of these accessories are a fairly low draw but can still run the battery down if the bike isn't started for several days. I know this from personal experience. I wired my USB outlet directly to my 250L's battery and after two weeks sitting in the garage the battery was too low to start the bike. If I'd been using the bike everyday I probably wouldn't have had an issue as the USB's current draw is very low. As always, do what's best for you... That's just my experience!

Dude your only 28 ....  :lol:

Back in the day when I was 28 .... we would just walk 14.4 miles for help ...  :p

Don't over think it .... just go !!!

live and experience it .... you will never forget these adventures you are about to partake in .... trust me ...  :prof:

Just go ... enjoy yourself .. I am sure you ain't no dummy and everything will work out beyond your wildest dreams !!! ...  :ride:

Next spring I will be buying my boy a CRF150F and and I hope to somehow find us a vacation adventure somewhere !!! 

I am thinking some kind of guided tour in either the southwest or Colorado ....  :excuseme:

In the snow...both ways....upside...

Yeah, yeah!  :rolleyes:

I'll be join a few buddies so I'm sure it will turn into a trip of a lifetime. After that I want to take the Jeep to Moab and do all the things.

My poor wallet...  :cry:

The CRF250L is a standard 12 volt system. Most automobile and motorcycle charging systems put out 14 - 15 volts to fully charge the battery. Our CRF250L manual says that our bikes charge the battery at 15.5 volts. You should be able to start your bike with a jump start from just about anybody that you can flag down! Look for some ATV jumper cables. They're perfect for what you need.

I also wouldn't wire any accesories directly to the bikes battery. Some phone chargers / USB power outlets have a small draw on the battery even when not in use. I would wire these only to a circuit that is powered when the bike is running. Most of these accessories are a fairly low draw but can still run the battery down if the bike isn't started for several days. I know this from personal experience. I wired my USB outlet directly to my 250L's battery and after two weeks sitting in the garage the battery was too low to start the bike. If I'd been using the bike everyday I probably wouldn't have had an issue as the USB's current draw is very low. As always, do what's best for you... That's just my experience!

AH HA! Perfect. We'll bring a set of ATV cables with us and call it done. Brilliant.

In the snow...both ways....upside...

Yeah, yeah!  :rolleyes:

My very first vehicle when I turned 16 was a brand spankin new 1978 Kawasaki KE125 injected 2 stroke. I rode that thing year round for 2 years in the snow before I ever thought about getting a car ....  :ride:

I had to tweak that thing too !!! .... bored milled and ported and jetted with an expansion chamber ... It was a runner I tell ya ...  :banana:

Lots and lots of good memories were made on that machine and I kept it for many years

1200668201_P1010001.JPG

Edited by gnath9

My very first vehicle when I turned 16 was a brand spankin new 1978 Kawasaki KE125 injected 2 stroke. I rode that thing year round for 2 years in the snow before I ever thought about getting a car ....  :ride:

Lots and lots of good memories were made on that machine and I kept it for many years

Mine was a Honda XR100. My dad surprised me with it one day after school. Boy o' boy did he get in trouble with my mom. I didn't get off that bike for 2 years.