Sign in to follow this  

Chaparral won't sell me a FMF Powercore4

I have a 11' yz250F ordered the muffler at parts counter, I get a call two days later, a woman saying they should have told me at parts, they can't sell those in California.

Why is that?

I have a 11' yz250F ordered the muffler at parts counter, I get a call two days later, a woman saying they should have told me at parts, they can't sell those in California.

Why is that?

The PowerCore4 for the WR250R/X is restricted because it has a catalytic in the stock muffler and replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket that has no catalytic is an infraction of the CA Vehicle Code.  The YZ250F has no catalytic and it’s either/both misinformation or a lack of understanding by Chaparrals’ parts dept.

It’s not a shared muffler between the two applications; they are different part numbers.  There is no reason Chaparral should be restricting sales of a muffler for a dirt bike that has no catalytic.

044395 – YAM YZ250F'10-13 P-CORE 4 HEX MFLR

044270 - YAM WR250R/X'08-14 P-CORE 4 MFLR

Not sure why they are telling you they cannot sell this. If you would like have them call us directly.

The PowerCore4 for the WR250R/X is restricted because it has a catalytic in the stock muffler and replacing the stock muffler with an aftermarket that has no catalytic is an infraction of the CA Vehicle Code. The YZ250F has no catalytic and it’s either/both misinformation or a lack of understanding by Chaparrals’ parts dept.

It’s not a shared muffler between the two applications; they are different part numbers. There is no reason Chaparral should be restricting sales of a muffler for a dirt bike that has no catalytic.

044395 – YAM YZ250F'10-13 P-CORE 4 HEX MFLR

044270 - YAM WR250R/X'08-14 P-CORE 4 MFLR

Not sure why they are telling you they cannot sell this. If you would like have them call us directly.

What is the difference between the hex and the standard P-4, is it more costly, I don't see it on their site

What is the difference between the hex and the standard P-4, is it more costly, I don't see it on their site

Standard Powercore 4 is our oval canister and our PC4 HEX is the new Hex body and some changes on the internals. See below.

For Closed Course Competition Use Only. Not Intended for Street Use.

When designing the PowerCore 4 HEX, we looked at our top of the line products to deliver race-inspired performance at an economical price. The end result is a quality muffler with improved torque, increased horsepower and rugged durability all at a price that won't break the bank.

-Overall increase in power and torque.

-Durable stainless steel and aluminum construction.

-Space Age internal packing material for maximum longevity.

-Internal shape of core uses Hi-Flo technology.

-Enhanced sonic evacuation provides for higher flow and increased power.

-Includes removable spark arrestor.

-Can be used with FMF or Stock OEM Header

FOR CLOSED COURSE COMPETITION USE ONLY. NOT INTENDED FOR STREET USE.

When designing the PowerCore4, we looked at our top of the line products to deliver race-inspired performance at an economical price. The end result is a quality muffler with improved torque, increased horsepower and rugged durability all at a price that won’t break the bank.

-Overall increase in power and torque

-Durable stainless steel and aluminum construction

-Advanced packing material for maximum longevity

-Champagne color anodized can

-Removable spark arrestor included

-Optional 96dB quiet insert available

Here's my dilemma,I have the stock muffler, I need a Spark Arrested muffler for use offroad here in California,heard good things about the p-4,I know about the Q4 and its is a tad more but what are the benefits

I would personally recommend the PC4 for you. The Q4 is our quietest muffler we offer and is dual chambered and is not as powerful as the PC4. You cannot go wrong with a PC4.

• Like 1

I bought a FMF Powerbomb from Chapperal at the Chapperal store in CA about 2 months ago. I had to sign a form stating that I was not from California (I'm from Virginia) before I could buy that part. I had to document what the serial number was on my WR250F was too... It has to do with green emissions etc... I had to ship the part to my home in VA too... no pick up on site..The guy behind the counter had this smug smile about this process for CA buyers.. he was cool with me but I could tell he did not agree with the policy CA has with these non-stock parts on the dirt bikes..

Regards,

BillD

Edited by debargew
  • Like 1

California sucks. Try to buy a new exhaust on ebay and they all say they can't ship to California. Sucks.

Hi all ! The reason for this whole thing is Vance and Hines just got hit with a huge fine . Guys, put the proper exhaust on your bikes....2-3 horsepower wont matter and if we keep our bikes quiet we might even have places to ride 10 years from now......rant over...brad

Yeah here in our locals, they have ordinances that if your exhaust is not STOCK it is a ticket. I just avoid their towns and spend my money elsewhere. This was to target open exhaust Harley's. But it has now overflowed to everything. I sold my 650L to a cop buddy that lives in that area. That had a 106db big gun evox. Really loud but great performer. All my pipes are stock/ modified stock. They look for the manufacturers emblem and that's petty much it. They didn't like my KTM stock setup but that is BONE STOCK. The only bike I have out of 7 bikes that is not stock exhaust is the CR500 and the wife's kaw klx250s. The klx needed the upgrade. It was anemic. I can't wait for them to look at my stock viper with STOCK side pipes. That'll be a fight. I'm not a huge fan of loud, I prefer sneaky stealth. I'll give up the few horses I lose.

You can laugh and argue about this but this is EXACTLY WHY OUR TRAILS GET CLOSED. We've lost lots of snowmobile trails to loud cans/exhaust. I here people bitch around here about the kids riding (8-13yr) on their property. Yeah I'd rather have them causing trouble. The father fixed all the whiners. Now Sundays are shooting Sundays. They've toned it down cause of ammo costs, but I do hear and see multiple military rapid fire going on. I just laugh. Ha ha you winers

Hi all ! The reality is that noise is OUR biggest enemy . Noise is most of the reason why are land is shrinking . I just cant see where MAYBE gaining a few horses is worth not having anywhere to ride . I have my buddies wr250 in my shop right now , it has a "big momma pipe" or something on it . It is almost embarrassing to ride with him . So now he is looking for a stock system for it ....anyone have one ? thx brad

Are the Powercore4 slipons loud. How so compared to stock? Stock is pretty loud on my 2011

Slightly off topic...perhaps...but...

I bught a Vance and Hines for my WR.  I just wanted something different, not the same old FMF that everybody seems to get.  I am really pleased with V&H.  Sounds nice, about medium volume.  Performance was great...worked just fine with that jet kit the dealer puts in when they do away with the crankcase vent thing.  I forget what it's called.

The only thing I don't much care for on it is that they don't use any type of durable emblems...only stickers that say Vance and Hines.  Of course, they get scratched off or somthing.  I would just think if I were making an exhaust, one of the most important things would be to put the brand name on it.  I would want people that see it to know what it was, in case they liked it and wanted one for their bike.

Hi all ! The reality is that noise is OUR biggest enemy . Noise is most of the reason why are land is shrinking . I just cant see where MAYBE gaining a few horses is worth not having anywhere to ride . I have my buddies wr250 in my shop right now , it has a "big momma pipe" or something on it . It is almost embarrassing to ride with him . So now he is looking for a stock system for it ....anyone have one ? thx brad

What year wr?