Sign in to follow this  

Need some advice between the 150F and 150R

First off, yes, I know they are night and day.  My question is not about that.  My brother wants to start riding with me and the boys and he is on the shorter side.  I have lowered my CRF250X in the triples and let him ride that around, but its a bit tall.  He loved the power and ripped around on it for the weekend we rode together.  However, we need to find something smaller.

Performance is really not the issue.  It is getting something that will keep his interest.  He was riding my wife's KLX140 and noted its lack of power.  So I know a stock 150F isn't going to work.  The R is a great option, but for just trail riding around and I not sure it is worth the cash.

So, here are some questions that mainly focus on the F.

With a BBR kit, after market intake and exhaust, how much extra ponies can we get out of it?

Do the BBR springs front and rear make a solid different in the suspension?

What is the feel of the bikes like, meaning center of gravity for the MX version and trail bike?

All said and done, are we looking at a huge pool of cash to build up the F compared to just getting an R in decent shape?

Maintenance...he doeesn't do it.  That leave me to wrench the bikes and the stable already has enough to keep me busy.  Are there any issue to note on the R?

Thanks gang.  I am posting this in the R forum as well

We did the BBR big bore and cam on a 150F for my daughter. No huge improvement.

The 150F weighs a good 50 lbs more than the 150R. We have a 150R for her now - she

absolutely loves it.

If your maintenance shy look at something like a 2 stroke 85 or even a 100, they should

keep him entertained with less maintenance.

We did the BBR big bore and cam on a 150F for my daughter. No huge improvement.

The 150F weighs a good 50 lbs more than the 150R. We have a 150R for her now - she

absolutely loves it.

If your maintenance shy look at something like a 2 stroke 85 or even a 100, they should

keep him entertained with less maintenance.

There is nothing shy about maintenance in our stable.  I wrench all 8 of them.  But, with your info about the BBR kit and what it did, it sounds like the R is the way to go.  We will start looking at a 2012 or newer and try to get him something soon.

Thanks for the info.

I had it explained to me a few years ago, and it makes a lot of sense. When talking about the Honda 150cc bikes, “F” means fun and “R” means race. If you’re trail riding for pleasure, get the F. If you’re racing, get the R. The R is too maintenance intensive for a trail bike in my opinion.