Questions regarding the R and F models

First off, yes, I know they are night and day.  My question is not about that.  My brother wants to start riding with me and the boys and he is on the shorter side.  I have lowered my CRF250X in the triples and let him ride that around, but its a bit tall.  He loved the power and ripped around on it for the weekend we rode together.  However, we need to find something smaller.

Performanceicon1.png is really not the issue.  It is getting something that will keep his interest.  He was riding my wife's KLX140 and noted its lack of power.  So I know a stock 150F isn't going to work.  The R is a great option, but for just trail riding around and I not sure it is worth the cash.

So, here are some questions that mainly focusicon1.png on the F in case you folks have experience with the two.  There is a chance we will take to some tracks with us and he would probably ride around with us there also.

With a BBR kit, after market intake and exhaust, how much extra ponies can we get out of it?

Do the BBR springs front and rear make a solid different in the suspension?

What is the feel of the bikes like, meaning center of gravity for the MX version and trail bike?

All said and done, are we looking at a huge pool of cash to build up the F compared to just getting an R in decent shape?

Maintenance...he doeesn't do it.  That leave me to wrench the bikes and the stable already has enough to keep me busy.  Are there any issue to note on the R?

For the R folks, give me your overall thought on why it would be a better choice over the F

Thanks gang.  I am posting this in the F forum as well.  To be honest, I am looking at the R, but just want some comments to help keep me in that direction.

I think you will be much, much better off with a CRF150rb. They are pretty durable by four stroke MX bike standards. Just keep the air filter clean and the oil changed and that is the biggest part of the maintaince. The CRF150 by comparison is much, much slower and weighs a lot, lot more (more than a CRF450) but it is bulletproof like a tank. But you probably wouldn't wanna drive a tank on a mx track either, would you?

Lightness of weight is what hooked me on the CRF150RB. (Check out the argument for light bikes here: http://lite-bikes.com) It's a lot harder to add lightness to a bike than it is to alter the power delivery to make the bike rideable on tight trails. All I've done so far is to add a Clarke tank, get the jetting right, do the A/P mod, add a Boyesen QS/3, an FMF Snap, Q4 and MegaBomb. It's not a trials bike, but it is amazingly more tractable than when I started, and it is good enough on mountain single-track to humble my friends on DR400's.

Maintenance isn't an issue either (unless your brother were to keep it bouncing off the rev limiter). Working on the bike is insanely simple compared to the heavier dual-sport bikes. It doesn't take a lot of effort or expense to change the oil after a day or two of riding. And I keep a few air filters around so I can clean them in batches. Swapping filters takes a few minutes. I check the valves every month or so (this is the biggest chore on the list of routine maintenance). I would guess a piston and rings in a couple of years of non-competitive riding.

I have both bikes and had a KLX140L w/160 BB and kx85 suspension. First it will cost way more to have the fun put into the 150f than to buy a 150rb. Next is the suspension on the F. It is bad for anything other than casual trail riding. For adults any "G" out or big hits you will bottom easily and eventually banana out the forks. You can convert the suspension but for someone that doesn't do maintenance, it will be very costly. The 150f is a great bike for what it was design to do. Even with all the suspension and BB kit, the 150rb in stock form will run circles around the modded trail bikes. We now have 100 hrs on our 2008 and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 1000 mile trip. Key to these bikes is staying off the limiter!

I would suggest a crf250x/wr250f with a cut down seat and a drop link. This will provide good basic suspension and motor and should hit 34-35" seat height.

That would also be a good idea.

I have both bikes and had a KLX140L w/160 BB and kx85 suspension. First it will cost way more to have the fun put into the 150f than to buy a 150rb. Next is the suspension on the F. It is bad for anything other than casual trail riding. For adults any "G" out or big hits you will bottom easily and eventually banana out the forks. You can convert the suspension but for someone that doesn't do maintenance, it will be very costly. The 150f is a great bike for what it was design to do. Even with all the suspension and BB kit, the 150rb in stock form will run circles around the modded trail bikes. We now have 100 hrs on our 2008 and I wouldn't hesitate to take it on a 1000 mile trip. Key to these bikes is staying off the limiter!

I would suggest a crf250x/wr250f with a cut down seat and a drop link. This will provide good basic suspension and motor and should hit 34-35" seat height.

Great information from everybody.  I have a 250X and he has ridden it before.  Its just too much bike in regards to height and weight, even when I did lower it a bit.  For comfort and confidence, I think the 150RB is the way to go.  I wrnech all the bikes in our stable, so converting a 150F to a better bike wouldn;t be an issue, but the cost would add up.  And as someone said, it makes sense that an F in full trim still wouldn;t compare to the R.

Okay gang.  Appreciate the info.  Looks like it will be an R.  Then I will do a few mods to get it dialed in for him.  For some reason it doesn't matter if its my XR600 or my son's XR50, I just have to tinker with them to get a little bit more out the engine and suspension.

There is a Service Honda Jr in the classifieds!

There is a Service Honda Jr in the classifieds!

That bike looks like a beast, but I think we will go with a 2012 or newer and then i will add the mods we are looking for.  I think I can get it up over 25 HP with exhaust, intake, cam, and jetting.

There is a 150R out here in Washington that has the 21 and 19 inch wheel mods to it, but the same engine.  The goofy things people will do.  God Bless the hot rodding spirit of Americans.

Also, a couple years ago you could easily find brand new, one and two year old CRF150r's at dealerships. The Expert models (150rb with 19/16 inch wheels) were less common. But the biggest difference between the two (other than wheel size) is the rb has a longer swingarm so converting a CRF150r to a CRF150rb is easy.