Cams?

Any of you guys running aftermarket cams? I would like to add more bottom-end,but I don't want to give up Top-end to get it and I like the idea of running my stock valve train. What are you guys running?

What about the Athena 490 kit

Im a fan of the stange 2 hotcams so I can run stock valve springs... gain a decent amount of top end pull and over rev. Then add a tooth to the rear to give that little bit of extra oomph when I need it. 

Honestly the 450 has more than enough bottom end to go around for me. I try to stay in the mid/top end range (I know not always possible), seems like that is where the RMZ motor runs the best. 

Cams shift power to bottom,mid or top. You gotta give to get for the most part. I'd try porting or a remap. Evo industries can remap your ecu with the yosh box. Contact Jeremy @ evo industries. Have aftermaket exhaust? The 4.1 with the powerbomb definitely added bottom end for me.

You can't gain at both the bottom and top at the same time. You have to sacrifice somewhere. Only when the cam is so poorly designed can you get both and those days are long gone from the factory.

You can't gain at both the bottom and top at the same time. You have to sacrifice somewhere. Only when the cam is so poorly designed can you get both and those days are long gone from the factory.

I just want to add bottom end without losing Top-end. I like a lot of bottom end! I'm not a screamer by any means.

Cams shift power to bottom,mid or top. You gotta give to get for the most part. I'd try porting or a remap. Evo industries can remap your ecu with the yosh box. Contact Jeremy @ evo industries. Have aftermaket exhaust? The 4.1 with the powerbomb definitely added bottom end for me.

I have a Vortex ignition and it helped everywhere! Very happy with it's gains! What about a Air4force air boot with the longer tube?

I just want to add bottom end without losing Top-end. I like a lot of bottom end! I'm not a screamer by any means.

I have a Vortex ignition and it helped everywhere! Very happy with it's gains! What about a Air4force air boot with the longer tube?

In that case I would get the cylinder ported. High compression piston can add some juice,but I am not a fan of them on 450's. At least not much more than stock. The Mt air boot can boost bottom/add response. Maybe FMF snap? Haven't tried one-so not sure. How many hours on bike? If you are getting near 40/50 hours,a simple rebuild can really bring the life back. Can chains stretch,valve lash tightens,pistons start to blow by and valve springs weaken. Last winter when I rebuilt mine-it def had more pep and I used all OEM parts. Had roughly 40 hours when I rebuilt. I know some guys believe in running these to death...and they will,but HP does slip away. Another item would be the clutch. The clutches take a beating on these bikes and the bottom end power is where I first notice the slip

In that case I would get the cylinder ported. High compression piston can add some juice,but I am not a fan of them on 450's. At least not much more than stock. The Mt air boot can boost bottom/add response. Maybe FMF snap? Haven't tried one-so not sure. How many hours on bike? If you are getting near 40/50 hours,a simple rebuild can really bring the life back. Can chains stretch,valve lash tightens,pistons start to blow by and valve springs weaken. Last winter when I rebuilt mine-it def had more pep and I used all OEM parts. Had roughly 40 hours when I rebuilt. I know some guys believe in running these to death...and they will,but HP does slip away. Another item would be the clutch. The clutches take a beating on these bikes and the bottom end power is where I first notice the slip

ac717 have you had your cylinder head ported? Might be the way to go? My bike only has 12hrs. on it, so it doesn't need rebuilt. I might wait for engine modifications until then. As far as the FMF snap I think $100 for it is way too much!

ac717 have you had your cylinder head ported? Might be the way to go? My bike only has 12hrs. on it, so it doesn't need rebuilt. I might wait for engine modifications until then. As far as the FMF snap I think $100 for it is way too much!

Yes.just light porting-match and cleanup. Made it more responsive. Did it last winter. Maybe try different gearing? Cams will give you bottom boost. The loss on top isn't huge. For a 450,most guys use the bottom/mid anyways. It will still rev,so not really a big deal. You can try just an intake cam to give small bottom boost and still retain mid/top.