2004 KTM 200 EXC Good Deal & OK for Son?

Hi all,

My son is almost 14 and outgrowing his CR85.  It's a wicked little bike and he's done well on it in spite of mostly trails, hills and hare scrambles with that MX bike.  Shouldn't have gotten him that in the first place- but I know better now.  He's hunched over on it now, and he can ride my highly modded crf230 with a 37 in. seat without getting in too much trouble.  Don't want to get him another mini bike at this point.  Mostly looking towards next year when I figure he'll be significantly bigger- his voice is changing. ;)  Looking at full size bikes with lower seat heights and 2 stroke for light weight. Considered taming down a CR125 for trails (don't want another MX bike- .), but the guys on that forum suggested we'd be better off with a KDX 200 or KTM 150 or 200 exc or exw.  So here I am.

Would a 200 be a good bike for him?  (I'll probably be riding it too)

And I found one for sale that looks really interesting:  2004 200 SX converted to an EXC.  Older guy selling due to health.  Originally built by a KTM mechanic and sold it to the present owner.  He said the guy only works on KTMs, and went all out since he could get the parts wholesale.  5 spd. w/ some gears (1st I think he said) swapped in from an xcw. Tweaked brand forks- not familiar but he said they're very expensive.  High end crank, new cylinder (old cylinder had a small internal water passage crack) and piston w/ thinner base gasket.  Engine NOT bored or ported, etc. Aftermarket exhaust w/ original exhaust to go with it.  Accel rims. V-Force reeds. Aftermarket bars w/ risers and bark busters.  New chain, sprockets, tires- needs nothing he said.  All high end parts used.  Asking $2500.  Pics look like it is in very good condition. 

My main concern is the SX engine.  I want something w/ low end torque.  He said you can lug the heck out of it, and that the 200 engines for the sx and exc are the same.  True? 

Thanks for any advice!

put a FMF gnarly pipe on it and it will haul bottom end but not have the top end punch

put a FMF gnarly pipe on it and it will haul bottom end but not have the top end punch

Will just putting a gnarly on it make that much of a difference?  And will a thinner base gasket change the port timing to more like a exc?

It does have an FMF on it. I'll have to ask him if it's gnarly or fatty if I talk to him again.  Everything else about it has been set up for woods riding and that's what this guy did with it.

My main concern now is whether the sx engine in it has been altered much for woods.  After some 'net reading, the 2 engines have the same bore & stroke, but things like porting and power valve are different.  Bigger hit on top for the sx and more power in bottom 1/3 of the band for the exc.  Apparently, the sx pulls well off the line even stock.  This guy probably doesn't know what exactly was done to the engine either.  Probably have to drive a few hours to find out if it's suitable for what we want out of it.  

Thanks.

sorry mate, i don't know that much about the timing side of it if some body explains it to me i'll happily try to help you out.

you can tune the power valve down so that it is not as aggro in the top end.

I know this is blasphemy on this forum...but if I were getting a bike for a 14 YO making the transition from the 85cc to a full size bike I'd get him the KDX instead of a modded 200cc KTM.  The KDX is much more forgiving than a full-tilt race bike.  Once he starts to outgrow the KDX suspension, sell it (and make some money) and get him the KTM.  Don't make the transition to a full-size bike too difficult or he may not want to ride as often.  

The beauty with the sx200 is that it can be tunned to be like a KDX by jetting and powervalve settings. The pipe will not make that much of a difference as much as a gearing change will. If it already set up for woods riding, the PO has done all these changes.

I would jump on the sx as these are a rare KTM model which can be made from a suttle lamb to a fire breathing MX bike that can run with the 250 2 strokes and 450 four strokes with the nimbleness of a 125 bike.

The beauty with the sx200 is that it can be tunned to be like a KDX by jetting and powervalve settings. The pipe will not make that much of a difference as much as a gearing change will. If it already set up for woods riding, the PO has done all these changes.

I would jump on the sx as these are a rare KTM model which can be made from a suttle lamb to a fire breathing MX bike that can run with the 250 2 strokes and 450 four strokes with the nimbleness of a 125 bike.

I read a little about power valve changes last nite.  Do you know if the sx and the exc would have the same power valve and just a matter of adjustment at the factory between the 2 bikes as far as that goes?  Any good posts about jetting and power valve settings for these?

Do you think $2500 is too much?  It's just what he's asking- he may come down some.  FWIW, the NADA gives a 2004 a value of about $1400.  I might want the bike, but that doesn't mean I could turn around and get most of my $$$ out of it if I had to.  I know you usually can't turn around and get much of your $$$ back from mods you put into it, but apparently someone put a few thousand into it to get it this way. 

Thanks for any thoughts.

The differences between the sx and exc can be made equal by setting the powervalve to the Langston setting, getting a straight tapered needle from Sudco, A DDK with 45/188 jets work really well smoothing out the power.

$2500 seems alot of money, but depends on what extras the bike has and the condition. I would give $2000 max for such an old bike. I would look for a 2005-6 exc or xc200 at that price. The newer bikes had much better suspension and stiffer frames. 

I know this is blasphemy on this forum...but if I were getting a bike for a 14 YO making the transition from the 85cc to a full size bike I'd get him the KDX instead of a modded 200cc KTM.  The KDX is much more forgiving than a full-tilt race bike.  Once he starts to outgrow the KDX suspension, sell it (and make some money) and get him the KTM.  Don't make the transition to a full-size bike too difficult or he may not want to ride as often.  

Another poster on a different forum suggested the forks are easily swapped for something better.  Meaning they aren't that great?  I'm OK with putting out more $$$ for a KTM and getting the better equipment to start- it'll always be worth more too.  Thanks.  If the sx engine can be detuned as easily as dryz250 says, I think I'm still up for the sx/exc conversion.

A 200 is the perfect size bike.  It can be tuned to do what ever you want it to do.  I prefer and EXC / XC, but there is nothing wrong with an SX in the woods.  It can be tuned to be a wild screamer, or de-tuned to be a awesome woods bike.  All it takes its a little jetting & adjustment of the power valve to deliver the power the way you want it.  That is one of the things I love about KTM's, you can adjust the power delivery to suit your style.  

I agree $2,500 seems a little high.  It never hurts to look and make an offer of $2,000.  If you're serious and offer cash, I'll bet you'll be bringing home a new-to-you bike.

The differences between the sx and exc can be made equal by setting the powervalve to the Langston setting, getting a straight tapered needle from Sudco, A DDK with 45/188 jets work really well smoothing out the power.

$2500 seems alot of money, but depends on what extras the bike has and the condition. I would give $2000 max for such an old bike. I would look for a 2005-6 exc or xc200 at that price. The newer bikes had much better suspension and stiffer frames. 

A DDK is a carb?  Not familiar with those.

Extras I know of on the bike are:

Forks re-worked- apparently cost a lot.

FMF exhaust

high end crank

new cylinder and piston

Accel rims

V-Force reeds

new bars and risers w/ brush guards

new tires, chain, and rear sprocket

high end rear disc and pads

original exhaust, extra filters, brake pads, spare fender, and there's more, but this is what he could recall  

Still $2k max you think?  Thanks.

DDK is a Keihin needle supplied from Sudco.

Try $2000 cash....and you have a deal

I just moved my 12 year old up to a 200 exc , just do what most are saying, adjust the power valve , jet the bike, put a gnarly pipe on it .

I put a 2012 oem pipe on my sons and used a Suzuki NEDH needle, put low profile tires to help with shorting the bike a bit . He loves it .

the 200 is so versitle dont think to much into it . the SX might have a different CDI but the motor is the same as the exc.

i agree with krazyinski

Maybe the bike is valued right for all the stuff it has (high end crank?). That doesnt mean that its right for you or your son. Highly modded bikes are usually harder to get your money back on as there is a limited audience to appreciate it, harder to re-sell w/o losing $$$.

I was just in the same boat. 14 y/o, coming off of a KTM 85/105. Luckily I found a great deal on a 2000 KTM 125 EXC. I would have taken a 200 EXC. 

That's a nice list...  It seems as though the bike was taken care of.  Offer $2,000, but have an extra $250 in your pocket.  It's the time of year when riders sell their bikes who are looking at getting a new ride in the spring.  Also don't discount the notion that he just wants it gone...  Again go look at it, give it a good once over, and then make an offer.

That's a nice list...  It seems as though the bike was taken care of.  Offer $2,000, but have an extra $250 in your pocket.  It's the time of year when riders sell their bikes who are looking at getting a new ride in the spring.  Also don't discount the notion that he just wants it gone...  Again go look at it, give it a good once over, and then make an offer.

Talked to him last night again.  Offered $2000- he would come down to $2400 at most.  He said he had 2 people that want to see it on Sunday.  He started offering it for sale Thursday night.  And he can't find the title when I asked him about it.  Said he look more and call me back today. 

Other KTM 200 for sale in my area and asking prices: 2001- $1800, 1998- $1200, 2006 - $2400 sold for don't know how much- lot of nice parts on it but not like this sx conversion, 2006- $1800.  All in good condition, but all seem quite high from what you guys are telling me and NADA values.  This 2004 looks like the nicest.  

Edited by kunkle

I just moved my 12 year old up to a 200 exc , just do what most are saying, adjust the power valve , jet the bike, put a gnarly pipe on it .

I put a 2012 oem pipe on my sons and used a Suzuki NEDH needle, put low profile tires to help with shorting the bike a bit . He loves it .

the 200 is so versitle dont think to much into it . the SX might have a different CDI but the motor is the same as the exc.

Did you do anything with the springs given what your 12 yr. old probably weighs or does it respond OK for him the way it is?

If you like the bike and it is what you want, don't let a few hundred dollars stop you from buying it. Again it seems on the high side but it's easy for us to spend your money :-)

Did you do anything with the springs given what your 12 yr. old probably weighs or does it respond OK for him the way it is?

yes I put the lightest springs I could on it maxed out the static sag and it responds great ! he is young and in order to go fast they must learn to overcome the issues we try to tune out.   I have a 12 200 with head mod, flex bars, GPR , hardparts pipe , balanced to perfection meaning ZERO crank and custom Tuned suspenders including 4CS forks. he really loves my bike and thought he was going to get it ! ha! I say you got to learn to be fast on a POS first , then you get the good stuff ! by no means is his EXC a POS but it was when we first got it. 

I Paid $1000 for a 2003 200EXC it needed a top end , exhaust flange , bars , tires ,foot peg mounts had to be welded the holes where elongated and ripped out on the bottom,  wheel bearings and the list ran up to $1000 bucks or so . I sure hope you bought that bike cause it sound like a good deal.