Sign in to follow this  

XR200 Won't idle

My son ran his '02 XR200R out of oil last summer and did quite the number to it...

Now it has been redone from the crank up.

.006" over, new con rod, piston, rings and pin.

New timing chain, guids and sprokets.

Rebuilt head, new cam and valves.

The compression and leak down test were perfect.

The carb has been taken off and cleaned 3 or 4 times now... checked and rechecked the float level.

We even tried a brand new carb and still always the same???

Even warmed up it needs half-choke to start.

It'll usualy fire up on the first kick, it won't stay running unless you feather the throttle.

No throttle, it dies, to much too quick, it boggs and dies.

When you just feather the trottle a bit and work the RPM's up the tone changes... like the engine just comes alive and then it'll runn like hell all day long, but it has to stay at a high idle at the very least or it will bog down and die.

Somebody told me it could be a bad stator... can it be???

Something about a high side and a low side, and the low side is bad?

Thanks for any imput, this one has me stumped.

Steph.

do you have your cdi pulse generator timed correctly?

I have it as far back (clockwise) as it goes. If I go the other way (counterclockwise) it gets worst.

I would sugest checking your cam timing marks. and ensure that you aligned to the correct mark on the fly wheel. if changing your timing is having an effect, it sounds likely that you have the top end out one tooth

The timing marks line up, but...

The cam is from an '83.

The sprocket is new but was ordered for an '02 and the trigger(??I'm not sure what it's called, but the piece with the timing advance) is original to the '02.

I'm now wondering if the pin that lines up the timing advance with the cam might be off a bit from one cam to the other?

SnS,

The cams & cam sprockets are universal from 80-02 on the 2 valve motors, so that would indicate that you do not have a mismatch of parts. From what you are describing, you have eliminated that the Cam timing and it is where it is supposed to be.

What you are describing sounds like the motor isn't breathing, looks like you came to the same conclusion and why you took the carburetor off several times to double check the carburetor settings.

The first thing I would eliminate if you have not done so already is, double check the valve lash on both the intake and the exhaust valves.

This may sound weird, but it would be the first time I have heard of it, is there some piece of rag in your intact tract, or in the air filter boot still lodged in there ??? Could you possibly have some type of obstruction in your exhaust ???

My experience with a bad stator is that it will run OK when cold, but when the motor heats up, things go haywire, sometimes OK, sometimes it just runs really bad, or dies.

BTW, the ignition timing should be set dead center of the two settings. You seem to have set the timing either to far retarded, or to far advanced. Have you checked the advance springs to see if they were OK, rubber pads intact ??? With a rebuilt motor you want that dead center setting until it breaks in, then once you get in a couple of hundred miles of break in, you can advance the timing, but always put in premium fuel if you do so.

I am sure you will figure this out by process of elimination.

Keep us apprised of your progress.

Michael

Edited by KTM520EXC

I agree with checking the timing. After you are sure that your timing is perfect, then you can move onto other things. I don't believe it's the stator seeing as it will always spark.   Pull your plug after you have ran it for a while and see what it tells you.   If it's black, it's getting to much fuel(I.E to rich) or isn't burning hot enough. If it's more of a whitish color, the mixture it to lean(I.E. not enough fuel)  and it needs a richer mixture. If the spark plug is a brownish color then you have the correct mixture and you have other things to worry about.   Personally, I think it's a mixture issue.  If I were you I would check your jet sizes. Make sure that they are the correct size. New carb or not. 

Good luck to you. If you have any questions just shoot me a PM. I have had a lot of experience trouble shooting these bikes this summer LOL

Pete

Hey Chief,

You never did disclose what your issue was ???

What was the fix ???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SnS,

Also am going to throw out the possibility of an over oiled air filter (it happens). It is unlikely that is the issue, but I would be inclined to remove the filter for testing to see if it runs any better. If it was over oiled it would lean the air/fuel ratio out when removed. The key is to get the idle circuit dialed in first and dial in the other 2 circuits after.

Michael

Hey Chief,

You never did disclose what your issue was ???

What was the fix ???

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SnS,

Also am going to throw out the possibility of an over oiled air filter (it happens). It is unlikely that is the issue, but I would be inclined to remove the filter for testing to see if it runs any better. If it was over oiled it would lean the air/fuel ratio out when removed. The key is to get the idle circuit dialed in first and dial in the other 2 circuits after.

Michael

I replaced a whole bunch of stuff. But what finally took care of the spark issue was putting in a different stator. Boom. Sparking like a firework.

Excellent, looks like I pointed you in the right direction.

Did the Stator windings have any damage by chance, or potentially lose wiring ???

Michael

Excellent, looks like I pointed you in the right direction.

Did the Stator windings have any damage by chance, or potentially lose wiring ???

Michael

Not that I could tell.  I took my multimeter and tested the 3 output wires on it. They all had continuity and about the same amount of Ohms.  No visible damage to any of the winding or towers..  But all the same a new stator fixed it.  I really appreciate the help man.  You saved me alot of time with that one. :D

It is the timing that's out...

And It was even a mechanic from the local Honda dealership that put the motor back together for me.

(He did do it at home on his own time and didn't charge me much for the work done).

See, I had someone else do it for me because the jug needed to be bored and he also put the new timing chain sprocket on the crank for me.

The thing is I was there when he rechecked to see if the timing was the issue and he said it was fine, so I took the mechanics word for it.

Well tonight I took a good look at the timing for myself and sure as hell... it's off one tooth back :banghead:

I update tomorrow after I get to try it out.