Old or New two stroke for trails?

Hey guys, ill start with im sorry for probably re-asking this questions but i couldnt find a thread. Im looking into getting a new bike. Moving up from a CRF230 and am looking at a few different 2T's. The kdx200 and yz125. The KDX is fine as is but ive heard both sides on the YZ that for trails you want an older (00-06) but have also heard newer. Jusst would like clarification and also what is so special about the 06YZ?? Just wondering. 

Thanks guys, lets get some replies coming in.

Hey guys, ill start with im sorry for probably re-asking this questions but i couldnt find a thread. Im looking into getting a new bike. Moving up from a CRF230 and am looking at a few different 2T's. The kdx200 and yz125. The KDX is fine as is but ive heard both sides on the YZ that for trails you want an older (00-06) but have also heard newer. Jusst would like clarification and also what is so special about the 06YZ?? Just wondering. 

Thanks guys, lets get some replies coming in.

If you go blue, get a six speed version. You can't go wrong with either, both work great in the woods. The KDX is more 4 stkish though.

06 and up YZs came with SSS suspension which is the cats meow in terms of suspension...

Love my KDX for woods riding, it can be lugged down to almost nothing and you just twist the throttle and go! They are a bit weak in the forks, those will need a bunch of attention or swap em out with a different fork. Otherwise a bullit proof bike. Will continue to run even though it shouldn't, KDX's just don't know any better.

The best way to describe one is "Plenty of power to get you out of trouble, not so powerful that it rips itself apart"

The kdx is trailbike (no offense to Jeff Fredette) and to make it as fast as a yz125, you need to spend big bucks.

So... If you're the hum-dum easy going trail rider, the kdx will fit the bill. If you ride while screaming and shouting at the earth to move aside, go Blue...

thanks for the input, is there any real difference in older/new 2T's that makes one better for trails? Also i forgot to mention that i want to get into Hare Scrambles if it makes a difference.

Get an old air cooled 2T ;) ;)

The kdx is trailbike (no offense to Jeff Fredette) and to make it as fast as a yz125, you need to spend big bucks.

UM, no! The KDX will kick the snot out of a 125 (speed wise). The YZ has "quickness", but I still think it would have a hard time beating out a KDX, if it can.

Now, suspention wise...the YZ will jump off the top of a building, land on it's wheels and barley give the rider a "jolt"...while the KDX will compress it's suspension until the frame stops it and then, 8 seconds later, launch the rider to the moon (over the bars) on rebound. OK I'm exaggerating, but you get the drift.

thanks for the input, is there any real difference in older/new 2T's that makes one better for trails? Also i forgot to mention that i want to get into Hare Scrambles if it makes a difference.

If you want a new 2 stroke for the trails, there are a lot of options.

Husqvarna, Gas Gas, KTM and Beta all make excellent and incredible new 2 strokes that do indeed have advantages over the 90s and 2000s bikes. Better suspension, electric start, etc.

Personally if I were buying brand new I'd be buying a Beta 250 RR over anything else.

If you want a new 2 stroke for the trails, there are a lot of options.

Husqvarna, Gas Gas, KTM and Beta all make excellent and incredible new 2 strokes that do indeed have advantages over the 90s and 2000s bikes. Better suspension, electric start, etc.

Personally if I were buying brand new I'd be buying a Beta 250 RR over anything else.

problem with the euros is 1. Not around my area (Ohio, US) and 2. I don't know about the others but KTMs are WWAAYYY to expensive for me and my self paying budget. No help from the parents so those are out, really the kdx and yz are the top choices because of affordability and location, kdx most of all.

Thanks guys, keep the posts coming

I get sticker shock from looking at ANY new bike, so I feel ya there.

The euros do seem to be kings of the 2 strokes right now though.

Honestly I'd just be snagging up a KDX200 over the winter. Around here they'll go all the way down to $600 during the winter for an 80s bike. Even a newer one can be had for $1500 to $2,000. Parts will be cheap and everywhere, as will accessories. I've been looking at them for years, and they consistently seem to be the cheapest bang for your buck I can find on Craigslist for about 5 years straight now.

I've also heard that some of the older Suzuki RM and RMZs can be made into cheap and good woods 2 strokes.

UM, no! The KDX will kick the snot out of a 125 (speed wise). The YZ has "quickness", but I still think it would have a hard time beating out a KDX, if it can.

Now, suspention wise...the YZ will jump off the top of a building, land on it's wheels and barley give the rider a "jolt"...while the KDX will compress it's suspension until the frame stops it and then, 8 seconds later, launch the rider to the moon (over the bars) on rebound. OK I'm exaggerating, but you get the drift.

A fast bike isn't necessarily "fast" because it has a strong motor. If you hit a set of whoops on the trail in 4th gear on the KDX, you will be in trouble, on the YZ, you keep it pinned...The KDX will probably be faster than my YZ250 on top, but I rarely use 5th gear, i'm mainly in 2-4th, dodging trees and other death threats.

A new 2t? Euro is the way to go, but my YZ250 pulls like a KTM 300 (and costs way less), and has suspension that will take the orange guys another decade to get to...

A fast bike isn't necessarily "fast" because it has a strong motor. If you hit a set of whoops on the trail in 4th gear on the KDX, you will be in trouble, on the YZ, you keep it pinned...The KDX will probably be faster than my YZ250 on top, but I rarely use 5th gear, i'm mainly in 2-4th, dodging trees and other death threats.

A new 2t? Euro is the way to go, but my YZ250 pulls like a KTM 300 (and costs way less), and has suspension that will take the orange guys another decade to get to...

The general is that YZ250s with a FWW and mabe a couple other mods are better in the woods but I wasn't sure about the jump from my CRF230 to a 250 2T.

And not that the thread hasn't helped but back to the thread, is there any important difference between older and new 125s that is big enough to choose one over the other??

Keep the posts coming

Get an old air cooled 2T ;) ;)

you got it200,it250,it490

230 to 250 2t would be a huge leap,   kdx would be the easiest transistion. yz125 you'll be like they forgot to install the torque then a second later get a quick blast.    Ona budget think the kdx will be easier on you.

KDX's are a dream. I actually rode one back to back with my former bike, an 06 YZ125. The kdx invites you to hop on and enjoy the easy torque and the comfy, thick seat. Predictable handling and the broad power curve allow the rider to pick a modest pace and hold it for days. The trails I rode were ultra smooth, so no comment on the suspenders, other than they were soft. My only complaints were the weight and the fact that the motor was stock. I would've liked a bit more power, but I hear the kdx motor responds well to mods.

KDX's are a dream. I actually rode one back to back with my former bike, an 06 YZ125. The kdx invites you to hop on and enjoy the easy torque and the comfy, thick seat. Predictable handling and the broad power curve allow the rider to pick a modest pace and hold it for days. The trails I rode were ultra smooth, so no comment on the suspenders, other than they were soft. My only complaints were the weight and the fact that the motor was stock. I would've liked a bit more power, but I hear the kdx motor responds well to mods.

Good to hear I have heard the stock pipe really holds it back, and a gnarly/ fatty is very good on it

Keep the posts coming

If your going to mainly trail ride i'd go with the kdx200, they are really fun, very broad powerband six speeds.   They aren't as snappy or fast out the hole as a yz125 but in the long run you'll catch a 125 easy.     It's really more what your into, the yz125 is nothing but snap but it's made for motocross, and the kdx has top end, you can ride them like 4 strokes but still have the low maintenance,  and powerband of a 2 stroke.  + a kdx200s can be made street legal and has a headlight! always a huge advantage. :D

Yes the KDXs sound like great bikes, none of the owners want to answer me back though, really I will go with whatever works out, hopefully the KDX but for a YZ do you think a gnarly pipe would be a helpful attachment??

Thanks, keep 'me coming guys

If you're looking for an older 2t, find a nice KTM 125 exc, you won't be disappointed...