Vin decode for European KX 250, 99-02?

Hey, I wonder if anyone here could help me. I'm trying to check my bike year from the VIN but it doesn't work.

The VIN look like this:

JKAKX250LLAxxxxxx

The engine code is:

KX250LE0|xxxx

10th digit is supposed to be the model year, but according to this VIN the bike would be year '90 when it is definitely from the 99-02 era. I just can't figure out the specific year.

It´s a European bike, but those should still have the same digit for the year, right?

Not one online VIN decoder recognizes those VIN and i can´t find any europeans vin decoder.

Edited by Doi

The 4 digits on the cylinder will narrow down the year.  You can also do things like measure the fork tubes.  48mm for '02, 46mm for 99-01. 2000 and 2001 are basically the same. The 99's have a condensor mounted on the frame somewhere.  Look at the parts diagrams under "Generator".  Maybe someone with a 99 can post a pic.

I don't know about Europe, but in the U.S. there's a date code on the rims.  If the date code says "10 98" that means the rim was made in October, 1998 and the bike would be a 1999 model.  (It seems bikes are usually assembled in the second half of the prior calendar year.)  Of course, this wouldn't work if the wheels have been changed.

Thank you guys for the reply ?

Well now i know that i dont have 99 model because i can´t see any condensor and i have the 46 mm forks so it´s not either 2002.

If this is correct from the oem-cyle.com then it seems i got a 2000 frame with 2001 motor and 2002 cylinder

Edited by Doi

• 11 months later...