250f vs 250

My steps went from a cr125 and yz125 (I had both) up into a 2stroke wr250 and a cr250 (again, had both at same time) got rid of them and now have the 250f thumper. I do more mountain trails and I really enjoy the 4t smoothness and all around power. The choice is whatever feels good when YOU ride it. Try a couple and find what works best for you and what terrain you ride in.

My steps went from a cr125 and yz125 (I had both) up into a 2stroke wr250 and a cr250 (again, had both at same time) got rid of them and now have the 250f thumper. I do more mountain trails and I really enjoy the 4t smoothness and all around power.

You'd have loved a KTM XC200, 250, or 300. I had a WR250f, then bought a KTM 300XC. SO much better in every way for woods riding. The power is just as smooth and usable right off idle but in the top half of the throttle it's WAY more powerful which is fun when the terrain opens up. What really makes it better for trails though is the lighter feel and lack of engine braking. No more balancing between acceleration and deceleration when you've already gotten up to 25mph and the trail isn't gonna let you go any faster. I find this engine character results in a much smoother feeling and less tiring ride. My whole crew used to ride 4 stroke WRs and CRF-Xs. Since I got the KTM and they've tried it one at a time they've all switched over to KTM 300s. At this altitude (8,000-12,000ft) we like the 300 but a few of us think we'd prefer the even lighter, narrower 200 if we lived below 6,000ft.

Edited by Lelandjt

I have seen a lot of the ktm bikes up there in rampart, just have never ridden one. Past couple of years I have been playing around more on my raptor rather than the bike just because of dumping money into the motor build. Without a doubt a fun machine, but I am itching like crazy to hit some of the trails on a bike again. I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the KTM's though.

I have seen a lot of the ktm bikes up there in rampart, just have never ridden one. Past couple of years I have been playing around more on my raptor rather than the bike just because of dumping money into the motor build. Without a doubt a fun machine, but I am itching like crazy to hit some of the trails on a bike again. I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the KTM's though.

You will find "mixed reviews" on every brand if you look around. everyone is not gonna' like every bike.

Joe

I have read a lot of mixed reviews on the KTM's though.

Due to varying on riding style and terrain and ingrained biases I'm not surprised you can find people who will hate on 2T KTMs. But out in the middle of nowhere, on techy trails high in the mountains I can't remember the last time I saw anything else. I'd say the reviews of those riders are unanimous.