Chain Slap/Clatter!

I've been revisiting some of the older posts about solutions to fixing the chain slapping noise the KLX450 makes. Has anyone gone the distance and messed around with this issue and has been successful fixing the problem?

It is a chain tension issue. The KLX liked a tighter chain than others...but it is a noisy drive line at the best of times unless under throttle. Learn to live w it.

you can install a auto clutch, it will take 100% of the chain slap away, :thumbsup:

Edited by 1274

I have an auto clutch and still hear that noisy chain.

Edited by GreenHornet450

WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER MY CHAIN NOISE!

Like Dirk, I run it a bit snug and also have a BRP chain guide, much better than stock. I have never had this slap, noise problem. Manual: Chain Slack measured with wheel suspended (on stand) Standard: 52 ∼ 58 mm (2.0 ∼ 2.3 in.) measured from metal of swing arm to center of chain pin. My guess is some guys are measuring from rubber glider to bottom of chain link. That is a huge difference in slack. I probably run 1.75"

klxchain_zpsdc5bccbc.jpg

Edited by jimmyh

An auto clutch has absolutely nothing to do with any chain or drive line noise.

An auto clutch has absolutely nothing to do with any chain or drive line noise.

i had the same noisey chain slap, when i installed the auto clutch my chain slap whent away :applause:

Dirk aka(Chuck Norris) is correct.. I have two 08 KLX450R's and one has Rekluse auto clutch. They both have chain slap noise when running over 2" bottom of chain the metal of swingarm. When I run 1.75" they are both quiet. The slap is my Q to tighten the chain.

However, When I pull in the clutch lever, the front forks have twice the travel. Come on 1274!

my klx45r does rattle the chain and after close inspection discovered chain slappin the frame right at the subframe bolt location inside the frame.

.does this slappin from lugging engine at a certain rpm .did it with auto clutch and regular clutch .gonna try a slender piece of nylon attached to frame at this location to see if it quitens it some.i also changed the chain and it didnt do it till the chain broke in and it started it  again.

rimtrail105

new mexico

my klx45r does rattle the chain and after close inspection discovered chain slappin the frame right at the subframe bolt location inside the frame.

.does this slappin from lugging engine at a certain rpm .did it with auto clutch and regular clutch .gonna try a slender piece of nylon attached to frame at this location to see if it quitens it some.i also changed the chain and it didnt do it till the chain broke in and it started it  again.

rimtrail105

new mexico

Are you setting the chain slack correctly? Mine will only make noise now once the chain slack is out of spec

yeah ,i believe so,to get it to go away it makes the chain too tight. .i
keep my suspension way soft to ride in middle of stroke and this also tends
to make the sound worse.just does it on accell.,lets me know i'm luggin
rimtrail10