05 cr125 with 02 crf450 forks opinions..

So a little help here woukd be good before get to far gone, i picked up my 05 cr125 a few months back and the forks were terrible and in mid riding season i didnt loose any ride time, so i had a set of already valved 2002 crf450 forks laying around an decided to throw them on i had to use the 450 wheel an also brakes but i lost zero ride, now that the season is winding down and i like to get my suspension serviced every winter should i leave on the 450 forks or get my stock ones valved and set up for me? also i want to get a set of triple clamps, should i get 125 or 450 clamps? would this change the rake and ergonmics?

also i heard the 450 is a better designed fork any thaughts on this?

or if anyone knows the stock comparison between the 450 and 125 forks which are better from the factory

The 450's are twin chamber forks. They are a better design the the 125 open bath forks.

Both can be made to wrk well, just the 450 are better.

As for the 05 cr 125 vs 02 crf450 triples. Both have the same bore for the forks and are 24 mm offset. So it does not matter which you use.

first off you went backwards in a lot of respects. 

first the before 05 year, the fork lugs are 2mm further forwards.  Also the 02s have the older brake caliper mount with is larger and the internals are smaller than later model units. lastly, the spring rates are way off 450 vs 125

find a set of 06/07 crf250r forks if you want an upgrade and get them revalved if you want more.  minimum get the oil lock collars installed. 

for clamps, you have the 02-04 which have the bolt mounted through the front of the number plate.  Then the 05-07 use the top mount.  08 uses 2 mounts on the top to clear the HPSD and also pulls back to a 22mm setup. 

personally, get the 06-07 crf250 forks.  Great combo on that bike.

Edited by JJRace

first the before 05 year, the fork lugs are 2mm further forwards.  Also the 02s have the older brake caliper mount with is larger and the internals are smaller than later model units. lastly, the spring rates are way off 450 vs 125

find a set of 06/07 crf250r forks if you want an upgrade and get them revalved if you want more.  minimum get the oil lock collars installed. 

for clamps, you have the 02-04 which have the bolt mounted through the front of the number plate.  Then the 05-07 use the top mount.  08 uses 2 mounts on the top to clear the HPSD and also pulls back to a 22mm setup. 

yea I found out about the brakes when i switched the forks, other than that they seem to work ok for now. But I do have a question in reference to the newer crf250 forks, I read a thread somewhere on someone using the honda steering dampener on a cr125 if i did get some newer crf250 forks will the newer clamps and stem fit on my bike? so i could run a dampener? and at that point will my 05 brakes and wheel fit on the new forks also..

The front wheel is the same 97-14

brake caliper is the same unit back to 87 if I remember correctly.  it is the caliper bracket that differs

now if you are talking about the HPSD, you need to understand what that does and does NOT.  it is not a offcenter steering dampner.  it only works in the corners with the bars turned.  this is due to the design of the unit.  Personally I have ran it on my 06 crf450r with the 22mm clamps and without and cannot tell the difference even with valving and different oil.  So I removed it, saved a pound off the bike. 

the 250/450 and CR250 forks for 06-07 will be the same.  Biggest difference is the spring rates.  Subtle internal valving differences, but minor. 

The front wheel is the same 97-14

brake caliper is the same unit back to 87 if I remember correctly.  it is the caliper bracket that differs

now if you are talking about the HPSD, you need to understand what that does and does NOT.  it is not a offcenter steering dampner.  it only works in the corners with the bars turned.  this is due to the design of the unit.  Personally I have ran it on my 06 crf450r with the 22mm clamps and without and cannot tell the difference even with valving and different oil.  So I removed it, saved a pound off the bike. 

the 250/450 and CR250 forks for 06-07 will be the same.  Biggest difference is the spring rates.  Subtle internal valving differences, but minor. 

come to think of it i did have one on my 08 crf250 an never noticed much difference, my only thought was with a 125 being a lighter bike  maybe it would be more noticable and tighten up the front end a tad.

and the best route is seemingly this winter pull off the crf450 forks and return them to there pile in the garage and search ebay for some newer 250f forks 06+ 

and go back to my 05 cr125 front brakes and wheel

anyone converted a set of those fancy kayaba psf air forks to fit on there 125? :jawdrop:

anyone converted a set of those fancy kayaba psf air forks to fit on there 125? :jawdrop:

wonder what it would take to convert the showa air forks from a KXF to a 125, the kayaba air forks arent nothing compared to the showa's 

wonder what it would take to convert the showa air forks from a KXF to a 125, the kayaba air forks arent nothing compared to the showa's 

it cant be to much as long as there 47mm they will fill in the clamps, You might just have to run kawasaki brakes an  the front wheel would be worst case senario judt like i had to use the old style 450 brakes and tire on my 125

Hey I tried to search this thread out to get some help I have a stock rear shock spring from my old 03 cr 125 I was wondering if it will fit on my 05 crf 450 any help is much appreciated I'm 140 lbs and the stock spring on the 450 is just not soft enough ...thanks

I would use the stock forks. Revalve and

The stock forks I would use. Get them revalved. Should work great.

I would use the stock forks. Revalve and

Ok thanks a lot that was much needed!

The stock forks I would use. Get them revalved. Should work great.