Sign in to follow this  

xr280r break-in

My first post on here, but im currently putting a 277/280 kit in my old 93 xr. She was drinking some oil so I thouhgt may ask well get some more power out of it. I got the wiseco 77mm kit. The jug and head are curently in the shop getting bored and checked out. I was wondering what you all recomend to break it in. 

I've heard taking it easy for a tank of gas then draining the oil. I have also heard to get it nice and hot and run it hard for a tank and then change the oil. What are your methods? photo.JPG photo-1.JPG

Edited by 93XR277R

Best is to start it and let it idle just long enough to start getting some heat in it. Do this three times and let it cool in between.

The rings get hot fast during initial break in. Don't let it go more than 4 minutes or so. Then go ride it without hammering on it.

After a couple of hours change the oil and check the valves.

Alright so i think i got the break in process figured out. I have an other question, is there a stage 1 cam for the older xr250's? All i can find is for the 96-04. Is there a cam that i can get for my 93 xr250r that isn't stock?

Alright so i think i got the break in process figured out. I have an other question, is there a stage 1 cam for the older xr250's? All i can find is for the 96-04. Is there a cam that i can get for my 93 xr250r that isn't stock?

Web Cams and Megacycle make a couple different camshafts for the 84-95 XR250s. They require hard welded rockers though.

Web Cams and Megacycle make a couple different camshafts for the 84-95 XR250s. They require hard welded rockers though.

Thanks, did some looking at those, not sure if i wanna go through all that work for a cam. Also kinda pricey for me.

You're going to like the extra power from the bigger piston and bit more compression. Low end for days with the stock carb and cam.

Have fun.

Sweet, i cant wait to get the parts back and put it all back together. Sounds like what i've heard is the main power increase is low to mid range, witch is what i like.

93XR277R Hi there, I'm planning on doing this same operation to my  old faithful '91. Could you please tell me what kit you got? don't forget to share your impressions on the finished motor

93XR277R Hi there, I'm planning on doing this same operation to my  old faithful '91. Could you please tell me what kit you got? don't forget to share your impressions on the finished motor

I got the wiseco 77mm kit off of eBay. It was $160 for the parts then a little more for getting the cylinder bored. (I'll let you know howmuch it was, i still havent recived the parts back yet but should by tonight) Once i get the parts back and put it all togethe ri will let you know how i feel about it. The bike is pretty much stock besides a k&n filter and a suppertrapp mufler.

This is a link to the exact kit i bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151029920947?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I bought a JE 77mm piston kit & matching Cometic top end gaskets from Atvunlimited/ebay recently, Make an offer on the piston kit & see how you go?>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=290951145091

About to rebuild my 93 XR250R soon, Would like to find a good usable cylinder head first, Anyone?

Well I still haven't got the parts back, so it could be a while till I am able to get it going. Sounds like after I get the parts I'll have to leave the state for a week. So I'll let you know my opinions as soon as it's running.

+1 on the j-e piston kit. the j-e piston is lighter than the wiseco. i put 150 hard hrs. on mine,pulled it down to renew valves and rings, cleaned the carbon off the piston and it took a magnifying glass to see slight wear

Campdirt,how did you break yours in,and how much clearance when bored?

well back in 2006 when i first did it i believe it had .004' total clearance,.002' per side. i got stupid on the breakin and ran it hot and hard. the oil turned dark quickly. changed back to the honda hp gold and rode it until last month.pulled it down and the piston looks almost brand new. re-ring and rehone and it runs strong as ever. although this time i let it run for about 2 minutes and then cool atleast three times. then i rode it easy for about 20 minutes then changed the oil and took it on two 40 mile rides a week later and it runs strong. love the pwr. and the sound of the fmf exhaust...cam chains strech kinda fast on mine also  get kibble-white valves...have fun..

Well I have revicved a notification that the parts are done. So once I get back into my home state I'll get it back together and say what I think.

Edited by 93XR277R

Well i got the parts back last night and started the process of putting it together. I got the engine all together and the valves adjusted. Just need to get stuff like the carb, air box, tank, seat, and plastics on and then break it in.