Dropped a valve... kind of... what do I do?

I picked up a 2004 yz 250f for $1050 to fix and turn for a profit. The guy said it only needed a new piston and rings so I thought it was simple enough, yet when I take off the head I found one of the Intake valves had dropped into the cylinder... kind of. The keeper had shattered and allowed the valve to fall slightly but it stayed in the head itself, not really sure why, but when I was checking to see if the crank was locked while buying it everything moved smoothly so I didn't suspect a valve. It would fall about an inch then go right back in with no spring tension so I'm not sure if it's bent or what. I guess the main question is can I only replace  the valve and keeper that dropped and I'm done? Also they redneck rigged the oil hose going to the head which was completely broken off but they just put some electrical tape on it which caused insufficient lubrication and led to the races the camshaft sits on to be melted? or torn into/mushed or something down pretty good (it formed a lip big enough to not let the buckets be pulled out), is there anyway to fix this or do I have to buy a new one?

Any help is appreciated, I just hope I'm not too screwed yet haha

Sounds like the head is fubared to me. Sorry.

Yea sounds like you sound start eBaying it up could find a good used head with valves

Yea sounds like you sound start eBaying it up could find a good used head with valves

Sounds like the head is fubared to me. Sorry.

Man my wallets not liking the way this conversation is going haha ya I guess I'll have to check ebay out and hope to break even, but the guy said the bike was still running fine before it shut off from the valve and the cams still spun freely so do you think I could just put it together and see if it runs?

Hard to tell without actually seeing it firsthand but if you got time on your hands I've seen complete heads sell for under 200 bucks but it's few and far in between how did the cylinder and piston look?

Hard to tell without actually seeing it firsthand but if you got time on your hands I've seen complete heads sell for under 200 bucks but it's few and far in between how did the cylinder and piston look?

Actually the cylinder and piston looked perfect, you can see where he valve hit the piston but luckily no damage, ive actually got some pictures of the head on here ill see if i can put them upImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382249494.633302.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382249546.291850.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382249593.465629.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1382249629.255299.jpg

Looks like a paperweight, now.

Looks like a paperweight, now.

A very expensive paper weight

Do you think i could take the good valves out and replace just the dropped one and buy a used head To transfer everything into?

Do you think i could take the good valves out and replace just the dropped one and buy a used head To transfer everything into?

Don't see why not. I'd check out the bottom end and make sure it's ok. I doubt if it ran long enough after that valve dropped to do much damage. You got lucky the valve head didn't break off and pound the piston to hell. I'd check the wrist pin and connecting rod for excessive play.

Don't see why not. I'd check out the bottom end and make sure it's ok. I doubt if it ran long enough after that valve dropped to do much damage. You got lucky the valve head didn't break off and pound the piston to hell. I'd check the wrist pin and connecting rod for excessive play.

Ya i took everything apart and checked the bottom end and everything looked pretty good, i definitely got lucky the valve didnt break, it must have been low rpm or just pure luck since the valve still seems to move perfect. I think ill just try to replace that valve assembly and hope the head works since it was running before and just get rid of it or would that be a bad idea?

You mean try and get that head to work?! Do you happen to sell used cars for a living?

That head is junk and even if you do manage to 'get it running', it'll be a time bomb. Karma's a bitch, but it's your call. I'd fix it right or part it out.

You mean try and get that head to work?! Do you happen to sell used cars for a living?

That head is junk and even if you do manage to 'get it running', it'll be a time bomb. Karma's a bitch, but it's your call. I'd fix it right or part it out.

Hahah i could always start selling used cars, ya youre right i should just fix it right and get rid of i i was just trying to get out of it cheap, and since karma already got me and im sitting here with a sprained knee and ankle from yesterday its probably best not to test it anymore haha