Sign in to follow this  

06 top end rebuild

I already have a megabomb exhaust.

Ride some trails, mx and jump a lot. Bike dosnt have a bunch of hours.

Prob about to order

13.1 piston

Stage 2 cam

+1000 rev box

Full head job with titanium rods

New timing chain

Timing chain tensioner

Anybody see any problems? Advice?

I wouldn't waist my money on the rev box and would use stainless valves instead. Just my opinion....

I wouldn't waist my money on the rev box and would use stainless valves instead. Just my opinion....

Appreciate. Anybody else agree? The dude as fastheads said it made about a 3hp difference and the titanium last a lot longer.

Appreciate. Anybody else agree? The dude as fastheads said it made about a 3hp difference and the titanium last a lot longer.

Honestly..... 3hp from just a rev box sounds crazy to me... me personally I wouldn't belive it unless I personally watched the dyno pulls... and even if it did its 3 more peak hp... how often will you be pushing your bike at 10k... the harder you push your motor the faster stuff wears out.

The titanium is softer.. and requires more attention (most of the time) to adjusting intake valves... stainless is the way to go. They will last longer.

Honestly..... 3hp from just a rev box sounds crazy to me... me personally I wouldn't belive it unless I personally watched the dyno pulls... and even if it did its 3 more peak hp... how often will you be pushing your bike at 10k... the harder you push your motor the faster stuff wears out.

The titanium is softer.. and requires more attention (most of the time) to adjusting intake valves... stainless is the way to go. They will last longer.

Nah he was saying the titanium valves vs stainless steel is about 3hp difference and requires less maintenance. My bad

Nah he was saying the titanium valves vs stainless steel is about 3hp difference and requires less maintenance. My bad

Haha, well that's even worse.... 3hp from just ti to stainless valves? Do yourself some reading on this first before you fall into that...

Haha, well that's even worse.... 3hp from just ti to stainless valves? Do yourself some reading on this first before you fall into that...

Well maybe three hp from stock. Supposedly weigh less and Last longer.

3 hp Sounds like a fairy tail to me. Stainless steel valves are the way to go if you are not Joe Pro Racer that has money to burn. I have had my set of valves in my bike now for about 5 years and have yet to shim them again. 

• Like 1

3 hp Sounds like a fairy tail to me. Stainless steel valves are the way to go if you are not Joe Pro Racer that has money to burn. I have had my set of valves in my bike now for about 5 years and have yet to shim them again.

Cool. Yeah I'm glad I posted this then. Save me some dollas!

How important is a new chain tensioner for the timing chain? It's a 06 but this bike is far from a bunch of hours. Pretty sure it's still on its factory piston.

Stainless steel are definitely the way to go. They are a bit heavier but the 450s are strong enough motors that it really won't effect it, not that you will notice anyways. And they are harder than titanium so they definitely last longer. Shimmed my ti valves every couple months. Had my ss for 8 months and they haven't budged.

How important is a new chain tensioner for the timing chain? It's a 06 but this bike is far from a bunch of hours. Pretty sure it's still on its factory piston.

I would pick one up. I personally have never had an issue with mine but a few people on here have had them back off and the cam jumped timing. If you don't mind the extra maitenance pick up a manual one.

Stainless steel are definitely the way to go. They are a bit heavier but the 450s are strong enough motors that it really won't effect it, not that you will notice anyways. And they are harder than titanium so they definitely last longer. Shimmed my ti valves every couple months. Had my ss for 8 months and they haven't budged.

Appreciate the feedback. Yeah glad I asked about that, I was def about to waste 300 extra bucks. And now that I'm saving in that I figured I'm gonna send my forks to factory connection to get revalved since their running a deal and I need my rebuilt anyways. I got a good deal on a 2011 yesterday and it was nice but can't see spending that much when I already have a nice bike with low hours. Plus I heard the 06 was one of the better years. I also ordered a 08 tripple clamps, bigger foot pegs, hour meter, service manual, 13.1, stage two cam, timing chain, and I'm bout to get a wider front(heard a 31 was good) and a new rear since mines about beat(heard 51 was the way to go). Oh and I ordered a seat bump. Really liked how it kept me in place testing out the 2011. Mine should be right by the time I get done with this build!

i was just in the same boat with my 06 but it had 250 hrs on original top end i did:

kibblewhite black diamond valve kit

professionally machined head

TT MCCT

cylinder works std comp and bore top end kit

oem cam chain

i ride mostly trails and im happy with it, its a bit harder to kick over and i was told the kibblewhite valves have less recessing onthe face compared to oem so it bumps compression a bit. i run  94 oct chevron only