New pw50 purchase

Hello everyone,

I have a 3 and a half year old that I would love to get into riding with me. We were thinking about getting him a pw50 for christmas. I have been looking at used bikes thinking that would be the way to go and in my area everything is in the 700-900 range (seemed kinda high) I took my son to a dealer a couple of weeks ago just to sit on one so that I could guage his size for the bike and they had a 2013 model on the floor for 1190.00 they claimed it was a sale. Question is does this seem like an ok price for a new one? I am seriously thinking about just calling them and having them set it aside for me to come get it. I just have a hard time going out and  buying a 700 dollar bike that is the better part of 5 to 10 years old when for a bit more I can just have brand new.

He seems pretty interested in a bike and has been riding his strider bike around getting the hang of that and works with me in the garage often.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

Edited by izcain

700-900 for a nice pw is overpriced. They're worth about $500 mint used. The thing with those bikes is that they are indestructible. Buying used is fine as long as you look at it thoroughly just like any other bike.

Yeah, I think that is a bit low for a mint one. The good condition ones around here (ca) are $750, a mint one would be $850-$950. I bought a '03 that was literally rode two times (the second time the little girl got hammered) its plastic was a bit thrashed due to crash but tires had NO wear not a bit of dust or scratch. Problem is anything under '09 (pretty sure that was the year) has the old ignition, they do not rev out like a newer one, they get another 2k RPM. You will get smoked by a newer one every time! I would just buy a new bike if you plan on doing any racing or if your kid is under six.

Yea that is definitly not an OTD price. They want the price of the bike plus 270's setup and crate fee plus 85 for a destination charge plus 150 for a documentation fee. Not including tax and license. Ends up being darn near 2 bills wow! The cheapest I was able to find out the door was still in the 1650 range. Im thinking a used one would be a better bet for me to get him started.

Yeah, I think that is a bit low for a mint one. The good condition ones around here (ca) are $750, a mint one would be $850-$950. I bought a '03 that was literally rode two times (the second time the little girl got hammered) its plastic was a bit thrashed due to crash but tires had NO wear not a bit of dust or scratch. Problem is anything under '09 (pretty sure that was the year) has the old ignition, they do not rev out like a newer one, they get another 2k RPM. You will get smoked by a newer one every time! I would just buy a new bike if you plan on doing any racing or if your kid is under six.

What people ask for them and what they are worth are two different things.

You usually see klx110's in the $1,000+ range, the prices always come down to ~$600 after about a month.

PWs are darn near indestructible and PW50s are uncommon and tend to hold their value. You'll find PW80s all day long for half that price because everybody has had one and there are plenty still running from the 1980s. $700 may be a fair price for a PW50 in your area. You can always try to haggle with the seller.

IMHO, you should never buy kid's bikes new, the depreciation hit is immense and he's only going to ride it for a year or two before you need to buy a new one.

Also, he's three years old, you could probably set it on fire and as long as it was running when he hops on it, he'll be grinning from ear to ear. (Don't set it on fire.)

Im going to look at a used one that appears to be in nice shape with not much usage tomorrow. Seems like this would be the most logical option. Ill post up tomorrow with pics if it makes it into the stable.

Well came home with a clean 04 for 625. Needs a few minor little clean up things and it will make a nice Xmas gift. Now I have to bite tongue until Xmas.... :banghead:

I think the waiting is going to be harder on me then it will be for him! lol

• Like 1

Hide it in the garage or a buddys house. They sell those big wrapping paper bags, put it in one of those with a big bow on it, then watch him go gaga on Christmas morning. It will be well worth the wait. That is what I did with my boy when he was 3. He got a new (to him) KDX50. Rode the wheels off that thing. Enjoy the time together.

You might as well get some training wheels for it. my kid took a little bit to get used to the PW50 after being a Stryder pro. Unless your son is tall and is sure footed on it. My kid was a little unsure with the PW with not being able to hold it up real easily and didn't like falling. He rides the crap out of it with the training wheels. Next year he'll be able to touch better. I have three friends in line for my PW when my kid gets another one. There are a lot of cool parts cheap for PW50's, get it dialed in and you'll get your money back for it from a friend that will get to do what you did with your son. 

Yea they seen to hold their resale that's for sure. I'm up in the air right now about training wheels. Not sure if they should be on or if he should try without. I think as long as the bike is turned wayyyyy down so that it is real slow I think he will be ok. He gears up and rides around on moms old Xr right now with me out putt putting around the yard. It keeps him excited about dirt biking! But he talks all the time about wanting his very own "my size motorcycle" as he puts it

Edited by izcain

Well came home with a clean 04 for 625. Needs a few minor little clean up things and it will make a nice Xmas gift. Now I have to bite tongue until Xmas.... :banghead:

I think the waiting is going to be harder on me then it will be for him! lol

It will be harder, it will be.

Don't get training wheels. If he's not already riding a pedal bike without training wheels, now is the time to work with him on getting there. You may want to hint that if he learns to ride the pedal bike without training wheels, a motorcycle won't be too far behind to encourage him. Strider bikes and just taking the pedals off the pedal bike help too, without the training wheels either of course.

Have fun and good luck keeping your yap shut - it's by far the hardest part of the whole process.

YEA that would NOT be good! ouch!

I think I will plan on toning that thing down to where I have to almost give it a push to get started for a little bit before giving him the throttle.

When he rides around with me on the xr he already knows how to twist the grip for throttle and to pull the levers for brakes. We putt putt around in first and (with me holding the oursides of the grips of course) I let him tinker with the throttle and brake lever and what not. I just let him think that both levers are brakes even though on the xr the one is a clutch but at least he will be that much ahead of the game since the both levers are the brakes on the pw.

Good idea, that way he can get some time with the concept of brakes so this doesn't happen:

a75wrym_460sa.gif

YEA that would NOT be good! ouch!

I think I will plan on toning that thing down to where I have to almost give it a push to get started for a little bit before giving him the throttle.

When he rides around with me on the xr he already knows how to twist the grip for throttle and to pull the levers for brakes. We putt putt around in first and (with me holding the oursides of the grips of course) I let him tinker with the throttle and brake lever and what not. I just let him think that both levers are brakes even though on the xr the one is a clutch but at least he will be that much ahead of the game since the both levers are the brakes on the pw.

PW50 has a washer for the exhaust to make it completely gutless with lots of engine braking (brakes become unnecessary) for true beginners, and it has an adjustable throttle screw to limit how much gas they can give it. Teach basic controls with the washer in, then toss that damn thing out and just use the throttle screw.

That gif is also of a kid on a pocket bike meant for an adult to tinker around on. Even wide open a stock PW will not accelerate like that.

My son just turned six and has been riding the wheels the wheels off of his PW50 for two years now. Get him some training wheels. You may not even need the exhaust washer. You can choke it down so that it will barely move with the throttle stop. I am glad we bought the bike used, He dumped it about a hundred times getting use to riding. A new PW would have been beat up looking in no time flat. 

Get the foot brake from PW's Only. Little hands have trouble with hand brake levers. The foot brakes let them learn the right way and not have to unlearn anything down the road.

Hurry up and find a bike. Get him up to speed and go trail riding with him. It will be one of the best experiences you will share together as father and son. You will have a steady riding partner for life. ?

I took my son trail riding at the dumps south of Pittsburgh this weekend and had as much fun as I have ever had on a bike. Watching him slide down a muddy leaf covered hill, with his feet on the pegs and the bike sideways was just too cool. He got to the bottom and said, "Come on Dad, keep going!" He even rode across Peters creek on his own. :ride:

The picture is from a couple of weeks ago.

DSC_0037.JPG

PW50 has a washer for the exhaust to make it completely gutless with lots of engine braking (brakes become unnecessary) for true beginners, and it has an adjustable throttle screw to limit how much gas they can give it. Teach basic controls with the washer in, then toss that damn thing out and just use the throttle screw.

That gif is also of a kid on a pocket bike meant for an adult to tinker around on. Even wide open a stock PW will not accelerate like that.

I agree that it's not meant for a child, however, the kid would have fallen over long before he crashed into the shed without the training wheels. I wasn't looking for a kid crashing while wearing no helmet on training wheels cause his old man is an idiot video, I just happened to see that one and thought I'd add it. I have however, seen videos of kids in decent riding gear whiskey throttle into other non-moving objects on TWs.

When they learn to balance first, the rest comes easily, training wheels teach bad habits as well. They're best suited for pedal bikes if they're even necessary at all - i.e. strider bike/pedals removed from pedal bike. You won't be disappointed with this method, I assure you.

Well my 3 y/o can ride his pedal bike without training wheels but his JR50 has them on. This is because he's not even close to touching the ground yet, and he is not a small kid. Even with the throttle turned way down and geared so it goes slower, he still scares me with his speed. Just take it slow and let him have fun. They have plenty of time to learn, and its a lot going on for a 3 y/o. Having fun is the MAIN thing. you want him to enjoy it with out getting scared/hurt.

I've been having a ton of fun riding around with him (me on a pit bike). It is kind of our first rides together. He giggles a lot and it is so fun to listen to. Good times ahead for us!

Dom%20Suzuki.jpg