Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Possible Vintage Race Bike What to look for?

My father in law is working on a bike that may be a possible factory race YZ250 from 1985.  The bike is a 1985 YZ250 that was allegedly ridden by Danny Storbeck.  I am trying to upload a picture of it.  He says it has an AMA inspection sticker and the pipe looks like something custom welded together.  The silencer looks similar to a stock Yamaha silencer.  The number is number 71 and I could not find any pictures of him riding any number 71 bikes.  The story goes is the guy he got the bike from had a sister who dated Danny Storbeck over the course of a couple of years and he bought the bike from him.  Anyway what do you think?

mms_20131016_zpsb6860556.jpg

Edited by condor74

It may be stock. It may have been a practice bike or just a bike that Danny Storbeck was able to sell being sponsered by Yamaha.  As mentioned the only things noticed on it was an AMA inspection sticker on it.  I do not know if it has a VIN number or not. 

My father in law is working on a bike that may be a possible factory race YZ250 from 1985.  The bike is a 1985 YZ250 that was allegedly ridden by Danny Storbeck.  I am trying to upload a picture of it.  He says it has an AMA inspection sticker and the pipe looks like something custom welded together.  The silencer looks similar to a stock Yamaha silencer.  The number is number 71 and I could not find any pictures of him riding any number 71 bikes.  The story goes is the guy he got the bike from had a sister who dated Danny Storbeck over the course of a couple of years and he bought the bike from him.  Anyway what do you think?

mms_20131016_zpsb6860556.jpg

Just by looking at the bike it looks like a former racer plus the exhaust looks like a trick "One Off".    Your story of the bike sounds believable.      I was walking my dogs and met a person in the neighborhood that has vintage bikes.      He told me his Maico 400 Magnum  he presently owns and bought in 1978 was formerly Team Maico Factory Rider Darryl Schultz's former practice bike.      A rider in my club today told me which rode in the area back in the day remembered the bike and tried to buy  it at the time.    The same guy told me that my 1975 Bultaco 360 Pursang was raced at Plymouth Hangtown Event in 1975 when I told him the original owner which I bought the bike from in 1990.        There are bikes with a lot of history around.

He also has the other plastics. The piston turned out to be burnt but the cylinder looks ok. Hope he gets parts soon.

What's the porting look like?  Try posting detailed pics on Vital in the Old School section.

To me thats a nice looking bike regardless if it was a race bike or not. My first glance at the bike looks like it has a extended swingarm. Yes that looks like a custom pipe as well. I know some of the factory bikes used non stock flywheels so you may want to check that out. Broc Glover use to use a YZ80 flywheel & stator on a his 82 YZ250 because it was 6 ounces lighter than stock which helps the bike rev quicker out of the corner.

i know it has been a while since i have posted here.  Father in law got the bike tore down and cleaned up.   New piston installed.  The cylinder had a steel sleeve installed in it.  Waiting for a couple more parts this week to hopefully hear it run.  It has a solid block aluminum upper tripple clamp.  Definately not stock.  A few very well done air box modifications.  The original owner swears that he got the bike when his sister was daiting Danny Storbeck.  And it was definately raced in a SuperCross race.  Stlll wating on chain guide parts and new throttle cable. 

• Like 1

The seat does appear to be cut down slightly from stock.  This was according to the owner, because Danny Storbeck was a little on the short side.  I have done some reading up on Danny Storbeck and aperently he is running a trucking buisness out of San Antonio now days.  It would be neet to get some insight on some of the things that have been done and verify the origin of the bike.  I dont know if he wants to be bugged about his old Supercross days as apperntly his most famous accomplishment was landing on Rick Johnson and breaking his wrist pretty much ending his carrear. 

The bike was started the other night for the first time in who knows how long.  No riding of it yet as still needing to get the chain slider and a couple of rollers installed and still need to purchase a new front fender.  It was a little difficult to start for the first time but once it was running it starts easier.  I will post more picturs as I get them.  

Father in law and took the bike out for its first ride in about 20 years today. It started off good enough with the bike running well but soon we had an issue. About 20 minutes into riding around up and down some hills the bike started to cut out and run rough anytime you gave it more than 1/2 throttle. It idled perfect and ran ok putting it around but when it started to get on the pipe it would break up. I took the carb off and blew through the jets. Took the spark plug out and inspected it. Checked the power valve linkage to make sure it was hooked up and the power valve was free. All looked good. After starting it again it ran rough again. Father in law took it out one more time and ran it hard and stayed in the throttle when it was breaking up. It actually cleared up and ran strong briefly. After shooting up some hills with the engine running strong he brought it back to the truck and the engine stalled. Steam starated coming out the pipe when it was being kicked. we found coolant leaking out of the pipe where it meats the cylinder. We pulled the spark plug and it was wet with coolant. It looked like the head gasket must have failed. Did it happen because of the rough running or was it causing the rough running. We will tear it down tomorrow or Monday.

The head gaskets in that bike are just two O-Rings a red and a black. they probably dried out . In all the years I ran those engines I've never had one fail.

This bike actually has a regular head gasket. No grooves for o rings. The parts were bought by application. The brand name for the top end set was Athena.