Sign in to follow this  

trucks or motovans?

I think maybe more useful/convenient space. It seems like quite a few motorsport dealers are using Sprinter vans. I decided to order one. It can reduce the need for a trailer but can be used in conjunction with a trailer. Uses the same ramps as a truck and has a lower deck. You could camp out of it in a pinch and can carry a lot of gear in addition to a couple of bikes or a quad and a bike. I am not sure a regular van would be as useful.

Guess it depends on what truck, I had a Nissan frontier now I have a gmc savanna and with the truck it seemed packed now I'm always thinking I'm forgetting stuff cause of the extra space, plus having everything enclosed is very nice also being able to campout in it is cool I could not live without a van now

Cubic feet of storage space, a van wins.

For me, a van doesn't work, because I swap between using my truck bed to haul bikes, construction materials, etc, then drop the gooseneck or the 5th wheel plate in and use it to haul trailers.

Truck wins by far for general use.
There's times where I've got stuff in the bed that I wouldn't want in the cab with me (gas cylinders, gasoline, etc).

You've got to get a pretty big van to fit a snowmobile in there.

With the truck, you get a sled ramp and load it in.  No big deal if it hangs off the back a bit.

If I need enclosed storage, I'll hitch up my enclosed trailer.

DSC00251-L.jpg

DSC_1418_-L.jpg

DSC07389-L.jpg

I definitly would be buying a sprinter mercedes van if i was in the market for that sort of hauler. There very reasonably priced for what you get.

Also depends if you're concerned about gas mileage, registration costs, storage yadda  yadda

A good van wins in my book.

Pickup for me. With an 8' bed, not only does it haul the bikes just fine, but is also a lot better for the normal chores outside of riding. A pickup will do a lot better job of hauling construction materials and firewood. Tools aren't really a problem as I have a locking toolbox mounted in the bed.

20131115_172905-Copy-Copy_zps7700eba4.jp

With 3 people, 3 bags, 3 gas cans, all safe overnight in a hotel parking lot. 

Motovans are practical if you travel.

Edited by 06YZGuy

A motovan has more "space" but it's nice to have a truck. If you can't afford both (or justify spending money on both like me) then a truck is a much better option because it can be used for so much more. I use my truck as a daily driver and it still hauls my bike and anything else just fine. If you want extra space, buy a trailer and tow that. A motovan is a great idea however if your a racer or someone who takes the sport a little more seriously then the average trail rider, it's a great locked place for all your tools and everything else you need for a weekend of riding. Not only that but they're not as expensive as you think. A van can be picked up for a decent price and set up to your needs easily. Me however, I prefer a truck. We have a company van with our family business however the back is full of tools and it won't be doing anything "fun" with it. It's crazy how much you can fit in them though. 

Buy a van and a "utility" trailer, best of both worlds and less $$ than a truck. I recently (last weekend) had 4 bikes, gear, tools, fuel and 6 people in my van....try THAT w/a truck  :smirk:

I don't see why a van couldn't be used daily like a truck.

Another vote for the van.

Buy a van and a "utility" trailer, best of both worlds and less $$ than a truck. I recently (last weekend) had 4 bikes, gear, tools, fuel and 6 people in my van....try THAT w/a truck  :smirk:

Or get a pickup with an enclosed trailer, plenty of room and a much nicer ride in the cab. We all have different needs, but anywhere I stage, I could easily get to with a trailer on the back of my pickup. However, if I needed to get a load of firewood out in the hills, there's a good chance that a van with a trailer wouldn't make it. Even then it would have to be a 4x4 van and those seem to be mucho $$$$$ around here.

i have  both.   love  my sprinter.   brakes,  corners  well,  keeps  stuff  safe  from  perps   so much more  secure.  IMHO    

I would be hard for me to go back to a truck.  I have never lost my Sprinter in a parking lot yet. And the mpg is great!

Edited by slowoldfart

Hauling dripping wet muddy bikes is what kept me from using (a nice) van. Fogged up windows and stinky swamp smell. If dry it's be an option, Enclosed trailer makes more sense in the NWet

Hauling dripping wet muddy bikes is what kept me from using (a nice) van. Fogged up windows and stinky swamp smell. If dry it's be an option, Enclosed trailer makes more sense in the NWet

Partition wall, rubber carpet, roof vent (or just the rear windows on GM vans) are all you need to get rid of this problem.