I have the same spacers my bike (2005) came with, maybe I am doing something wrong?

Damn, you west coast guys are lucky ... the east coast mud just destroys wheel spacers.  A little bit of grime gets past the seal and just grinds away at the spacer, making the sealing surface junk.  If you don't stay on top of it, it will ruin a set of wheel bearings in short order.  Here is a picture of a set that has about 500 miles on them.

IMG_4153.JPG

Yeah, with waterproof grease every time I take the wheel off.  Maybe I should switch up greases ....

I have the Moose spacers with the pressed on steel races on my CR250. I would say they're holding up well. But the originals took 7-8 years to wear out. For what they cost I'd say give them a try. I would think the steel bushing would hold up better than aluminum.

Damn, you west coast guys are lucky ... the east coast mud just destroys wheel spacers. A little bit of grime gets past the seal and just grinds away at the spacer, making the sealing surface junk. If you don't stay on top of it, it will ruin a set of wheel bearings in short order. Here is a picture of a set that has about 500 miles on them.

Posted Image

You been in the Rocky Mountain mud? :$

Hi billy,

I have had the same problem. We often ride in very gritty sand that eats out the stock spacers. I replaced those spacers on my '05 many times, I chewed the spacers on my '12 in less than a year. A mate of mine (who is a machinist) makes them out of stainless steel, these last well but still chew out. This riding is also very on rear brake pads, I have had rides so gritty that I have completely worn out rear pads in half a ride and replaced them on the trail. The KTM boys have the same dramas.

Cheers Aussie

Edited by Aussie CRFX Rider

The Pivot Works water tight collars are a military spec hard anodizing and NOT a decorative anodizing. Also the collars have an internal o ring to stop water and dirt from passing between the axle and inside of the collar which otherwise would make its way to the wheel bearings.

Those Pivot Works kits look like a decent product, as far as they seal around the axel unlike standard spacers. They don't look like they would stop the problem of the spacer wearing under the seal though, they use the same concept as the OEM seals there. If these spacers wear out though you may end up having to buy the whole kit again at $45-$50.

Are you aiming a pressure washer directly at the spacer? It seems like there is considerable grit getting past the seals and grooving the collars. Also stick with OEM or Pivot Works seals. The PW seals are an exact duplicate of the oem. The other aftermarket companies just find a seal that fits but do not got to the trouble completely matching the oem seal.

Those Pivot Works kits look like a decent product, as far as they seal around the axel unlike standard spacers. They don't look like they would stop the problem of the spacer wearing under the seal though, they use the same concept as the OEM seals there. If these spacers wear out though you may end up having to buy the whole kit again at $45-$50.

If they are hard anodized like camman sez then that might be your ticket. If not you need something out of steel. These would not be hard to make if you had a lathe.

I had the same concern for years. I found these spacers on Ebay a few  years ago. They have turned out to be the answer. Every time I take my wheels down, the seals and seal surfaces are pristine. The mud doesn't get in. Unfortunately I looked for them on Ebay just now and they are not there. I posted this to let you know they exist, we just need to find the guy. If we can find him, I want more for my other bikes. Hope this helps.

spacers 001.JPG

spacers 002.JPG

spacers 003.JPG

I had the same concern for years. I found these spacers on Ebay a few  years ago. They have turned out to be the answer. Every time I take my wheels down, the seals and seal surfaces are pristine. The mud doesn't get in. Unfortunately I looked for them on Ebay just now and they are not there. I posted this to let you know they exist, we just need to find the guy. If we can find him, I want more for my other bikes. Hope this helps.

Those are RBRMX wheel spacers. I use them too but I don't think he is in business anymore. Real Bummer because they are really good.

20140109_160003.jpg

20140109_160016.jpg

20140109_160733.jpg

20140109_155948.jpg

I know the studs are loose, took the pic's before I tightened them down... :cool: