Offroad jumping

Hey guys.

I have been struggling for a while now with my jumps. I need some help as I believe I am going to crash due to it. Let me start by saying I do not ride MX although I ride a CRF 450R. I might do some MX in the future. My problem is that when I take jumps the back end of my bike tends to kick up and cause me to land with the front wheel first. Even when I climb steep hills at the top sometimes the back would shoot up onto the top. My feet also tends to sometimes shoot off the footpegs. Is this bad technique or bad suspension or both?

My race sag is 105mm. My forks are 3 clicks from full out on rebound and compression. My shock is at 17 clicks from full in for rebound and my low speed compression is 15 clicks out from full in. High speed compression is 1 1/2 turn out from full in.

Are you pre-loading and accelerating up the face of the jump, keeping the throttle on till the rear tire clears?

I do sometimes hesitate at a jump. Honestly I do not think I always keep the throttle open until the rear clears. How exactly do you pre-load?

Push down on pegs going up jump face, un weight at top.

Ditto - x 2.

Ok I will try that. At this stage I just try to squeeze the bike with my ankles or my knees.

The general attitude of the bike once you leave the ground is dependent on how the bike/rider react to the face. Once air borne you can make small corrections, but the effect you can have on the bike is a lot less then the effect of what happens on the face. If your still learning then your probably pretty stiff off the face into the air, numb to the bike, dead sailoring it. The only way to learn is repetition, When ever you get the opportunity to hit jumps do it multiple times. Obviously stick to things in your skill range, learn how to read the face. It's like there is three parts: 1. reading the face, coming at it what you expect to happen, how you think you need to load your suspension and react with body movement and throttle 2. How you actually take the face, sometimes it goes as planned, sometimes it doesn't. Mistakes, kickers, line changes, the speed you can/do carry. 3. Air.

When you get comfortable, when you see something, you will pretty much know what will happen when you hit it and what you need to do to hit it well, instantaneously.

Edited by Die_trying

Sounds like you're closing the throttle too early.

Find one of those vertical kerbs, and practise going off it until you can land with both wheel simultaneously. It's a combination of moving your body weight back, and holding/slightly increasing the power as your front wheel goes off the edge. Play around with different throttle blips and body movements to see how it works. Sitting and standing.

Then find a small jump (10 - 20 cm high) and practise on that until you can land on whatever wheel you want. Work your way up from there.

I used to have the same problem. I never preloaded, and always let off the throttle too early. Once, I almost flipped over the bars. Since then, I preload a lot, and keep throttle on. It helps a lot.

The correct gear will also be a player, with high RPMs, if you chop that throttle the nose dive will be exaggerated. Keep it in the meet of the power band for now. Also, body position.... Standing or sitting off the face of the jump. I don't recommend trying to seat bounce until your comfortable with a normal standing jump. Stand neutral to slightly forward and aggressive. Commit to the jump and hod the throttle all the way off the face, then add some power right before you touch down.

Good luck!

The correct gear will also be a player, with high RPMs, if you chop that throttle the nose dive will be exaggerated. Keep it in the meet of the power band for now. Also, body position.... Standing or sitting off the face of the jump. I don't recommend trying to seat bounce until your comfortable with a normal standing jump. Stand neutral to slightly forward and aggressive. Commit to the jump and hod the throttle all the way off the face, then add some power right before you touch down.

Good luck!

Best advice I have read on here.  Steady throttle all the way off the lip of the jump.  Make sure you find a jump that is beginner friendly.  Practice Practice Practice  .  I would not worry about preloading the suspension at this point.  That will come with time and good technique. 

Good luck!

x2

You mentioned that you lift off the throttle just before take off, doing that essentially stops the rear wheel from spinning once airborne. The loss of air flow over the rear tire will cause the rear to kick up and the nose to dive down. You can bring the back down again with a blip of the throttle in mid air, that will get the rear wheel turning again. You want to be on the throttle through the lip of the jump, only lift off once you feel the rear tire lose contact with the dirt, otherwise you'll end up doing the opposite and lift your front end up too far.

I recommend going to an MX track on a not so busy day, find one or two easy tables that you can clear, and just experiment with body position and control. Once you get comfortable you can even try making adjustments in mid air by braking and tapping the throttle.