Sign in to follow this  

cams , or no cams

Well guys , i have a 2008 sm with big bore kit, powerbomb and q4 muffler, and the fcr flat slide...never did the cams.....how much difference do they make....I typically like the low end power ...will they make much, ie (noticible) power difference....what about , i hear just doing the intake cam alone.....recommendations......

Yes they make a difference. Do e cams an save some cash. Just the intake will give you low end, doing both will give you more mid and top range power. I'm of the opinion that the bbk adds plenty of low end so I did both. Up to you though.

Did the BigBore kit about 2 months ago.....putting in the E cams as we speak. Friday is looking like a completion day, and Saturday is RIDE DAY!! I'll let you know if there is a noticeable difference.

• Like 3

I started out with a 3x3 mod, rejet and BB 434, sorry can't tell you about it's improvement as I did it right after buying the bike. Stock BSR carb, then road that way for quite a while. Later added a Q4 muffler and pipe (not a fan of loud exhaust) and noticed a slight but marginal improvement as the bike seem a little more willing to wheelie off the line than before. Then latter added Hot Cams, about the same improvement as the Q4 exhasut, slight improvement but nothing extreme. I would say if your expecting a hugeprovment then you will be dissapointed.

I would say if your expecting a huge improvment then you will be dissapointed.

the only thing that really gives huge improvment is a stroker kit or a big bore. the thing about tuning is all the little things add up in the end. guys dont make 50+hp cutting corners.

speaking of which +1 on the FMF holding you back

I did the hotcams on mine and am extremely satisfied with them,   its actually more power then i was thinking it would be,  a great deal for only around $250 IMHO. 

• Like 1

Was there big drop fuel mileage when you went to different cams other than stock?

I'm getting such good gas mileage now I would hate to screw that up but a drop of 5 mpg wouldn't kill me, to get much I better performance.

Ron W

I was getting 50+ mpg before the cams,  and am still now,    but when you have more power,  you tend to ride the bike harder  :smirk:

so mpg will suffer,    thats one thing that kinda worries me about the FCR,  some say they get milage in the 30's,  others in the 50's,  i also enjoy the 50+ mpg im getting. 

• Like 1

Well, got the "E" cams installed and my first impression is that there is a difference......not a poke in the eye with a sharp stick kind of thing, but it revs out longer, and when you thwack the throttle it snaps into action faster. Not sure about the words I'm using, but there most definitely is a difference. There is also a slight sound difference......maybe I'm making that up so someone else will have to chime in, but it sounds harsher and louder. The real test for me will be tomorrow when I go out in the dirt and ride for 50 or so miles, then I'll know better. But right now, there's a grin on my face............. :smirk:  The BigBore kit and cams make a nice addition, IMO

• Like 5

Well guys , i have a 2008 sm with big bore kit, powerbomb and q4 muffler, and the fcr flat slide...never did the cams.....how much difference do they make....I typically like the low end power ...will they make much, ie (noticible) power difference....what about , i hear just doing the intake cam alone.....recommendations......

Hotcams mainly boost your mid to top end.....that pipe will restrict your hp...

Well, got the "E" cams installed and my first impression is that there is a difference......not a poke in the eye with a sharp stick kind of thing, but it revs out longer, and when you thwack the throttle it snaps into action faster. Not sure about the words I'm using, but there most definitely is a difference. There is also a slight sound difference......maybe I'm making that up so someone else will have to chime in, but it sounds harsher and louder. The real test for me will be tomorrow when I go out in the dirt and ride for 50 or so miles, then I'll know better. But right now, there's a grin on my face............. :smirk:  The BigBore kit and cams make a nice addition, IMO

all you need now is yellow plastics and you'd have the real deal!! :p

• Like 1

all you need now is yellow plastics and you'd have the real deal!! :p

LOL, I do have yellow......but changed out to white.............at least I didn't trash them.

• Like 1

LOL, I do have yellow......but changed out to white.............at least I didn't trash them.

you saved them for when you want another 15hp on the butt dyno right?!!! :D  :D

• Like 1

you saved them for when you want another 15hp on the butt dyno right?!!! :D  :D

Yep!                             For some reason, between you and 150ron, either blue is faster or yellow......I can't catch a break. I put blue on the white plastics, now I have to include yellow.

:excuseme:

• Like 1

I was getting 50+ mpg before the cams, and am still now, but when you have more power, you tend to ride the bike harder :smirk:

so mpg will suffer, thats one thing that kinda worries me about the FCR, some say they get milage in the 30's, others in the 50's, i also enjoy the 50+ mpg im getting.

That's where I'm at, around 35-38 mpg. But I go 0-60 in next to no time and the smile factor, you can't put a price tag on the smile factor.

You probably register the extra 15 hp from plastics and cams on the Bullshit dyno.... :devil:

Well, my eyes are dark brown.

• Like 3