Steering stabilizers

I did a search and read a lot about them. I am looking for guys using them on DRZ's. Which one did you get and did you notice a difference?

Waste of money IMO. These bikes are light and are relatively low speed. Stabilizer is just a band-aid to mask suspension problems. Take that money and get your suspension done properly and youll be better off

To each his own as they say......I think they're great, love riding with it and now that I've had the pleasure of having it, wouldn't be without it. It's a Scotts and it so easily adjusted while riding, and I think, that's the beauty part of it. I dial it down when in tight stuff or balancing kind of stuff, and dial it up when going full throttle on dirt, desert and/or gravel. It's especially nice on gravel and totally keeps the bike steady as a rock. I would say in all honesty, at first I wasn't sure I liked it, but over time it's amazing how you can feel it. I personally don't think it has anything to do with suspension, it's more for lateral movement and keeps your forward motion very positive. Like I said, to each his own, I sure like mine. There are 2 different kinds, one for street and one for dirt.....be sure and specify when buying.

Waste of money IMO. These bikes are light and are relatively low speed. Stabilizer is just a band-aid to mask suspension problems. Take that money and get your suspension done properly and youll be better off

That's how I feel, unless the bike is a 1000cc sport bike or something like that.

If you want a new toy to play with, buy one.

To each his own as they say......I think they're great, love riding with it and now that I've had the pleasure of having it, wouldn't be without it. It's a Scotts and it so easily adjusted while riding, and I think, that's the beauty part of it. I dial it down when in tight stuff or balancing kind of stuff, and dial it up when going full throttle on dirt, desert and/or gravel. It's especially nice on gravel and totally keeps the bike steady as a rock. I would say in all honesty, at first I wasn't sure I liked it, but over time it's amazing how you can feel it. I personally don't think it has anything to do with suspension, it's more for lateral movement and keeps your forward motion very positive. Like I said, to each his own, I sure like mine. There are 2 different kinds, one for street and one for dirt.....be sure and specify when buying.

This is what I have been reading. Most all input is positive.

Only true if the rider fails to spend the time and money to make the suspension right first.. Then the addition of steering damper is very useful.

If your suspension is crap for your weight, style, terrain,, then yes, the stabilizer is a band-aid.

For those that have done it the right way.. They will not have the same opinion as Gsxrstuntdr if they are capable of recognizing what the bike is doing while being ridden aggressively, street, track, off road.  

To each his one,, and no it's not a first purchase... 

One of the best mods I did for my rally drz. Definitely makes the bike feel more stable at speed, especially when you hit some soft stuff. However I doubt you'll see benefits if you're under 65 mph offroad. If you ride primarily on road or tighter trails your money could be used better elsewhere.

However I doubt you'll see benefits if you're under 65 mph offroad. If you ride primarily on road or tighter trails your money could be used better elsewhere.

I found even in the moderate speed stuff, it helped in rocky terrain,, It lessens the bar jamming hits when you mis judged placement of front tire/ rock.

I have an ongoing war going with deep sand.  The sand keeps winning all of the battles.  I've heard that a Scott's damper could help me ride in the sand, but before I shell out the big bucks (approx. 20% of the base cost of my DRZ), I'm going to sign up for a weekend dirtbike riding class with a heavy emphasis on farkin' SAND.

Then, I may choose to get a steering stabilizer, but at least I'll know enough to know if I need one.

It's one of the first devices I purchase , whenever I pick up a new bike .

Yep , set up susp first , grease bearings , fit the Scotts Damper .

In that order :thumbsup:

Personally I never found the damper to help in sand.... but that's kind of the point....needs and wants are different for all riders...And the ONLY way you'll know if your better off with it is to try... .

Those who make claims, having never used one with a properly set up suspension in all conditions, varied skill levels and pronouncing a damper a waste of money are missing out.  

Great stuff.....was wondering if I was the only one who liked one of these. I agree with Erik on the sand, the only thing to add to that is it allows you to go a little faster and essentially ride "over" the sand since all you're really having to do is stay balanced and upright. The minute you slow down you get in trouble. Same with some of the dirt and gravel roads, when I'm heading down one, I crank up the dial and it becomes so stiff that it's now only a matter of leaning one way or the other.....trying to actually steer doesn't happen anymore, and that's why I think it's really beneficial for someone who is going faster rather than slower. I haven't had it long enough to chime in as an expert, but these are the things I've found to be true for me. As far as comparing the money, dollar for dollar to something else which adds more power, or sounds badder, you can't compare.......depends on what you really want out there. JMHO

I have found the opposite , I wind up my damper in deep sand . Usually I have my Scotts set up with not much low speed damping .

I use more high speed damping usually , I find more low speed damping helps in sand .

I have found the opposite , I wind up my damper in deep sand . Usually I have my Scotts set up with not much low speed damping .

I use more high speed damping usually , I find more low speed damping helps in sand .

Think that's where I was going with the sand thing, I crank it up too and then it's just maintaining speed and balance. I do switch it down on most of the rest of what I do. We have different places that we ride though........

Sorry i was assuming this was for a supermoto :bonk:  i could see a damper being alot more beneficial offroad. still dont think its needed on a kart track or the street.

I have a Scotts. Its one of two mods I like the most on my DRZ. Scotts and Rekluse clutch. Scotts helps on a heavy bike in the rocks and mud. Before the scotts my DRZ liked to take lots of high speed dirt naps after the bars getting jerked from my hands in ruts. It does help in the sand last time out I was less fatigued in the sandy sections and watched my riding partner arm pump his way through each section.

I find the damper makes the bike hold a straight line in deep sand , wind the damper up and the bike cuts like a knife .

Sorry i was assuming this was for a supermoto :bonk:  i could see a damper being alot more beneficial offroad. still dont think its needed on a kart track or the street.

I agree.... those kind of lower speed, no abrupt inputs to the front wheel type of riding likely would see little benefit to a properly set up suspension and rider use. 

Even with my Ohlins suspesnion on my gixxer the damper is needed btu than again that is a sport bike and we are talking DRZ.

I was thinking about getting one for my DRZ but I did not have any issues at the track. .

I still may get one for the DRZ but I will wait to see what my suspenion guys says when he does my DRZ suspenion this winter.

I did see a Pitbull damper and was very impressed but they do not make them for the DRZ.The Scott's and Ohlins damers are top notch with great customer support.

Scotts Steering stabilizer is the best bang for the buck!!! I'll never ride a bike again that doesn't have a stabilizer on it, I race my DRZ and it's a must if you're doing any aggressive on/off road riding. Has also saved my A$$ a couple of times.  :ride:  I say you should get one, you won't regret it  :thumbsup:  Make sure you get Scott's none of this rip off stuff they have not!  :lol: