Sign in to follow this  

Chains, chains chains

Well, it's been 200 hours since I got my 09 300xcw and the chain is looking kinked up.  I'm figuring it's time for a new chain as well as some new sprockets as well so I don't wear out the new chain faster than I should.

So, I see O ring, X ring, no ring, waaay too many choices.  What chain will give me a long wear life and not cost me my first born?  Motorcycle superstore is running a deal on the DID chains, but there's a ton of choices with them as well.

I plan on going with a stock CS sprocket and the cheapest steel rear 50t sprocket.  My dual metal rear still looks good and I will save that for when the new steel wears out.

So, X, Z, O ring?  I trail ride, and dual sport, no racing.

I just installed Ironman sprockets and regina x ring tonight. My 13" 300 xcw has 225 miles on it . The chain and sprockets I took off are like new. I had to go with a longer chain with a 53t.. If you would like them I would be happy to sell them to you. Send me a pm if interested . First $65 , includes shipping + PP

The KTM X - ring chain worked really good for me and my 300. Kinda pricey at about $100, but it lasted forever with the IRONMAN.

The orange paint does look a bit haggered after a while.

I run this setup on all my bikes. Never had a failure or any issues to date.... Yes, expensive, with the price about $300 (Canadian) for a set. Worth every penny to me...

20131001_170525_zps0ae212bc.jpg

DID VT2 chain ... been used on the CRF450X since its inception and PROVEN beyond a doubt.  Its narrower so you will not damage your cases with chain rub.  

PS .... KTM does not manufacture chains (as above).  The KTM hard parts are "re-badged" products from other manufacturers, so often you are not sure what your getting in terms of quality.  Seems anybody who will anodize or colour their product Orange is the criteria KTM uses to rebadge products  (not quality)

Stick with a reputable manufacturer .... in general, you "get what you pay for"   :)

Edited by supervokes