Sign in to follow this  

Crf250l yay or nay?

My local honda dealer had a demo ride and I rode the crf250l and was extremely impressed with the bike. The only reason why I didn't buy it is because it's only a 250cc that feels pretty lacking in the power department. I sold my klr a month ago and have been looking at dual sports/supermotos for my next bike since and it seems like anything with big displacement puts me over the crf price without warranty and on an older platform that offers more power and more weight. I'm hugely considering the crf250l because it's at a great price, the chassis is great, it rides amazing and is a fun bike that for 90% of my riding I would be fine suited on it. The issue I'm having is when I want to go touring or hit the highway for extended amounts of time I think it's going to be a bad experience. Can someone with highway experience on this bike informe me of what to expect? I'm expecting it to be similar to the klr at high speeds.

I ride mine 40 miles a day, nearly every day. With stock gearing (14/40) it'll happily cruise at 55-65mph. 70mph is pushing it but it will go all the way to 80mph in a tuck with the wind at my back. In regards to comparing with your old KLR....night and day. This isn't a highway cruiser. Even cruising at 55mph you'll get tired of the buzz after a tank of gas (100 miles).

A few changes I made:

EJK tuner - (1.5, 1.5, 3)

removed snorkel 

removed airfilter metal screen

With these changes I have enough power to use all the gears comfortably. I still retain about 65mpg. Don't expect wheelies or miracles. The suspension is soft yet harsh (if you can imagine that). It's very cheaply refined suspension so you'll feel every little bump but it'll soak them up nicely. Mine starts to speed wobble around 70mph. I'm not sure why. I just stay under that speed. I can do 30 minutes comfortably. Anything past 1 hour of riding starts to really bother the butt and limbs. 

I'm still throwing little things at the bike to make it more suitable for exactly what I want to do. I'm still WELL under the price of a WR250R.

If you want a bike that can cruise look elsewhere. If you want a dirtbike that can hop on the interstate for a few exits pull the trigger!

Edited by kray
  • Like 2

About 90% of my riding is country roads and dirt. It's only 10% of the time I need a hwy friendly bike. Could the crf be a fit or is it just that bad at speed?

• Like 2

About 90% of my riding is country roads and dirt. It's only 10% of the time I need a hwy friendly bike. Could the crf be a fit or is it just that bad at speed?

Definitely a solid fit. It's not painful on the highway unless you're trying to get somewhere in a hurry. With a few upgrades you'll have plenty of power to blast through whatever back roads you want. 

The way I think about it - Honda is a cheaper alternative that you can slowly build up over time the way you want it. The Yamaha is more expensive but comes with the suspension and power one might expect from a peppy dual sport.

• Like 2

Mate, the longest I've ridden on a motorway in one day was about 400kms with no problems whatsoever. Although I did have an Airhawk for comfort and minimal luggage (40 litre duffel).

From what you've said I'm guessing you're already 90% closer to buying one ;)

• Like 1

NO Motorcycle will do 100% of everything--if it is good offroad it will be light--if it rides good on the road it will be to Heavy for off road--Sounds to me you need Two Motorcycles??but thats a good thing right?? :thumbsup::ride:

• Like 4

I'm familiar with dual sports and how they are never the "perfect" bike. However for me I'm 90% sure at this point I'm going to be on a crf250 next season.

I'm seeing alot of stuff online about a crf250m (supermoto version) that could be coming to canada for 2014. My local honda power house has heard nothing about a sumo version yet but in November they will be getting the full info of what's in store for next years bikes. I'm thinking of holding off until spring to pick up one of these bikes with the hopes that I'll get a sumo instead of having to build one up.

• Like 1

Check out the 305 thread .... positron is all about highway speeds and cruising with the big bikes ....  :thumbsup:

once I put a Corbin seat on mine ... I can cruise the highway all day. I do tend to stay off interstates only because of all the crazy cagers ...  :rant:

• Like 5

Good luck with whatever path you take and your ALWAYS welcome here-- :thumbsup::ride:

Thanks, I'm waiting it out for a supermoto version or spring time which ever comes first will determine what version I get.

I've always found this site great for gathering info.

• Like 1

The issue I'm having is when I want to go touring or hit the highway for extended amounts of time I think it's going to be a bad experience. Can someone with highway experience on this bike informe me of what to expect? I'm expecting it to be similar to the klr at high speeds.

I just did 400 miles of highway riding last Saturday and have an 1800mile ride coming up in November.

No problem.

On the bike as stock, a 13 tooth is almost mandatory to make 6th gear useful, other than that the bike is completely fine on the highway

• Like 3

I can't view that video, it says it's private.

I've read most of the 305 forum. I'm pretty much sold on this bike. I'm now just waiting on the 2014 models to hit the local dealer. With the warranty what mods can I do/get away with?

• Like 2

I can't view that video, it says it's private.

I've read most of the 305 forum. I'm pretty much sold on this bike. I'm now just waiting on the 2014 models to hit the local dealer. With the warranty what mods can I do/get away with?

Try now

I bought my 14 back in June--they are out but scarce I paid $5050.00 out the door not reg or taxes--

Yes it works now --same one as b/f tho---Keep em coming OK!!

Which before?

This one is of the stock bike. I can't do any more of the stock bike cause my bike is no longer stock. :D

• Like 1