IT'S LIVE! Full Review 2019 Honda CRF450L!!! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

09-12 crf450 shock fit the 13 done a search some say yes some say no

I have a chance to get a A-Kit rear shock for 300 dollars from a friend who is a local pro rider. shock has oversized DLC coated shaft and anodized clevis but shock body is stock with factory connection remote reservoir and he says it has A kit internals. either way the shock is worth the 300 with the dlc and remote reservoir. I am away at school and away from my bike and can not measure the 13 shock and see where the difference is. I asked this question and didn't really get the answer I was looking for. As well have done a search for people asking and some people say yes then others say no and have not found a confirmation of it.

I know the rear shock on the 13 is shorter by 14 or something MM however is this just the clevis that is different as I can change the clevis by just depressurizing the nitrogen and changing the clevis's out

has anyone just swapped the shock and did the longer shock make a difference.

A 09-12 shock will fit a 13 bike. It will bolt in. If that is your question.

It will not work correctly and geometry will be off.

For $300 you can add the remote res to your 13 shock. I'd do that before buying the other shock.

Actually, everything is the same but the body. The 13 body is shorter. I just converted a 11 to work on a 13. All the other internal parts will swap.

That tells me that the earlier shock might be a proper fit IF a shorter clevis could be fitted to it. Interference checks and valving changes aside... there might not be enough room in the clevis area to have the linkage knuckle bolted on closer to the shaft.

Edited by Eddie8v

do you know if the actual shock shaft is shorter or if the linkage shorter. Thanks

Why not just call FC and explain to them your questions. They will have all the answers.

When i sent my 13 shock to factory connection they shortened it by another 5mm so it would not help you out to put a longer shock on it. I would call FC and ask them if the A kit shock can get shortened enough to fit on your 13 if you send it out to them.

That tells me that the earlier shock might be a proper fit IF a shorter clevis could be fitted to it. Interference checks and valving changes aside... there might not be enough room in the clevis area to have the linkage knuckle bolted on closer to the shaft.

Looking for your input as I have seen your name come up on converting the showa shock to the newer crf efi bikes,

I am home from school for the weekend and have both shocks out. turns out the A kit  shock with the oversized shaft and a kit internals is a showa set up from a crf250. From what I can see the linkage is the only difference. The bodys look to be the same length, the linkages look to start at the same link, however the linkage mounts to the wishbone linkage at different lengths. Please see pics

20131102_092634.jpg

20131102_092659.jpg

20131102_092723.jpg

Question is can I take the 13 kyb clevis and put onto the showa shock with the oversized shaft? or should I try to get a updated a kit clevis from FC or PC. How are the suspension companies converting the showa shock to fit onto the CRF

Thank you for your time.

Edited by smallfry680

Looking for your input as I have seen your name come up on converting the showa shock to the newer crf efi bikes,

I am home from school for the weekend and have both shocks out. turns out the A kit  shock with the oversized shaft and a kit internals is a showa set up from a crf250. From what I can see the linkage is the only difference. The bodys look to be the same length, the linkages look to start at the same link, however the linkage mounts to the wishbone linkage at different lengths. Please see pics

attachicon.gif20131102_092634.jpg

attachicon.gif20131102_092659.jpg

attachicon.gif20131102_092723.jpg

Question is can I take the 13 kyb clevis and put onto the showa shock with the oversized shaft? or should I try to get a updated a kit clevis from FC or PC. How are the suspension companies converting the showa shock to fit onto the CRF

Thank you for your time.

hello

I have the same issue actually, got a SHOWA A KIT 09-12 and would like to fit on a 2013. 

Did you changed your clevis only? it's very difficult to find a shorter clevis, if anyone could help me for this? thanks

I machined a shorter clevis sent to fc turns out thr shock body is different as well. I had pc build me a shock around the 18mm shaft the a kit body for the 13 crf 450 was 900 and the clevis 200.

Anybody get a clear answer on this? I have an A kit shock for the 09-12 CRF450's, and want to know if it will fit the 13-16 models. I was told by a tech at Pro Circuit that all it would need is a different clevis legth but now just read a few posts where it needs a different shock body? I'm confused