Sign in to follow this  

How do i clean out corrosion in radiators in a 86 Cr 250r?

of course i had the same problem as most with corrosion in my waterpump housing.. so i fixed that problem and i was going threw my radiators and water goes threw them ..but i was looking down threw the cap and i see some blockage going on in there..looks like corrosion or mabey even calsium..I really don't know..i do know a magnet doesn't stick to the radiators so i believe they are aluminum..so without buying new radiators.. what can I do to clean them out..to get rid of the corrosion? like i said its not extremly bad,,,but i do not want my bike to blow up neither..i want to get them clean as i can without buying new right now..what do you suggest? and thank you much  Rob*

Pull the radiators and hoses off the bike. Connect the hoses to the radiators so that the system is closed. Fill the radiators with 20% acid vinegar and let it sit in the sink for 24 hours. Dump the vinegar and flush as much crap as possible with water. Dump the water from the radiators and fill them up again with the vinegar and do another 24 hour soak. Dump the vinegar and flush the rads with water. Then fill up the sink with water and totally submerge each radiator to purge any residual vinegar. They should be spotless.

20% acid vinegar is available at many garden supply stores. I found some at lowes, but I don't know if they still carry it. Regular vinegar won't work.

This is what I use.

Vinegar.jpeg

Edited by CamP
  • Like 1

Pull the radiators and hoses off the bike. Connect the hoses to the radiators so that the system is closed. Fill the radiators with 20% acid vinegar and let it sit in the sink for 24 hours. Dump the vinegar and flush as much crap as possible with water. Dump the water from the radiators and fill them up again with the vinegar and do another 24 hour soak. Dump the vinegar and flush the rads with water. Then fill up the sink with water and totally submerge each radiator to purge any residual vinegar. They should be spotless.

20% acid vinegar is available at many garden supply stores. I found some at lowes, but I don't know if they still carry it. Regular vinegar won't work.

This is what I use.

Vinegar.jpeg

This is what I use.

Vinegar.jpeg

thank you much..someone told me to use CLR  you ever use it? i have tried a really good degreser called redfire and now i am soking it in coca cola... but i will try whatever works the best..thank you much for your advice..new rads are 150 bucks  wowzer

Coke won't be acidic enough. Not sure about CLR. The 20% acid vinegar works great. Costs about $15 a gallon and that's enough to clean several sets of radiators. Has lots of other uses too.

• Like 1

I have three 1985 CR's, and had the same problem. I tried many things to clean the insides of my CR radiators. I finally found something that worked fast and made the insides of my radiators look like new...

BATTERY ACID. I had some extra new acid left over from a new battery I'd bought earlier, and wow, I was amazed how well it worked. Just flushed it with hot water for a while afterwards.

Randy

• Like 1

Battery acid is Sulfuric acid. You can do some damage to the part and/or your self with that stuff if you aren't careful. It's highly corrosive and can eat right through the aluminum core.

Vinegar is diluted acetic acid. 20% acid vinegar will do the job without damaging the the part. It takes a day or two, but it's much safer and controllable.

Edited by CamP

I had the same gunk in my 1985 CR125.  I've had good luck with Muriatic Acid.  Cheap at any Swimming Pool supply store.  Soak the radiators full strength in a bucket for a few hours.  Rinse and repeat if necessary.  Dispose responsibly.

• Like 1

i appreciate the advice guys..i will try different things if i need to and will let you all know what i have done to fix the problem,  thanks again for your time Rob*