Handle Bars

I have flex bars.  They are okay, the only thing I think they help with is I can hold a pencil on Mondays.  I cut an inch off each end & I think that screwed them as far how I hang on (Could all be in my head like the voices).  I been trying to decide on a different bar but not sure which one would be good for carpal type guys like myself.  Any suggestions on which bars don't give your hands fits?

Edited by Sabeen

I have flex bars. They are okay, the only thing I think they help with is I can hold a pencil on Mondays. I cut an inch off each end & I think that screwed them as far how I hang on (Could all be in my head like the voices). I been trying to decide on a different bar but not sure which one would be good for carpal type guys like myself. Any suggestions on which bars don't give your hands fits?

what about the new carbon fiber bars? Supposedly magical for hands.

there's a thread on here about them. Can't remember the maker off the top off my head but they're pricey! Like $400. I beleive.. Supposedly very very strong and they are supposed to make arm pump and vibrations. Etc completely disappear

Yikes, not sure I can swing those after new windows & a master bath remodel going on.  

Edited by Sabeen

yea.. They are very pricey but they say there worth it!

I bought a malibu wakesetter boat over the summer, surfboards, wake boards, tricked out wet sounds stereo.  My wife will cut my nuts off if I buy those bars anytime soon.  

Did a little searching and it seems a lot of the arm pump techniques help with carpel tunnel as well. Different grips change your hand hold. There are supplements you can apparently take (not sure which). Proper bike setup. It's hard to pinpoint which aspect will help the most if changed.

I have nerve issues going on so I am just looking to lessen certain effects.  I get arm pump clipping my toe nails, scrambling eggs.  Myofascial helps sometimes but if the nerve in my neck is acting up nothing helps.   

Edited by Sabeen

Twisted Engineering Carbon flex bars are $280.00 USD.

I bought some but live in Oz so with the currency conversion from the USD to the AUD plus the shipping it worked out to around $390.00 AUD.

In the USA you'd be looking at just over $300.00 Including the shipping   ? .

http://www.twistedengineering.com/products.php#hb

Edited by AddictedToBling

You know, I was thinking.  For me its also bar position & bend.  I noticed more issues if you have a more swept back bend and roll them too far forward or back it seems to cause more issues.  I personally like straighter bars that I can roll a little forward.  Then add the lever positioning in to keep you in the correct position.  You could be fighting yourself some when riding and not realize it.  

Another small thing to look at is more geared towards the clutch side.  Make sure your lever is not hitting the flanged ring on the grip.  I bought a new set of grips and all of the sudden had arm pump and found out the grip was fighting the lever being pulled in.  

As I said before I am just trying to throw out any idea I can.  Hopefully one helps.  I know what its like to ride and feel uncomfortable.  It makes it less enjoyable.  

Oh and someone else may be able to help more, but isnt there a grip/ slide that was popular a few years back.  I cant remember who made it but they offered a throttle and a clutch side tube.  The throttle was just a replacement to the stock throttle tube, but it had a bearing in the end to make it easier to twist (not going to help you I dont think.)  but the clutch side had what looked like a throttle tube.  The clutch side tube would bolt on and have different rubber grommets inside.  It was used to reduce vibration and give more forgiveness on hard hits.  A lot of riders loved them but I dont remember who made them.  Maybe Boysen?  

As I think about this thread again, I think the main reason I pointed out the small stuff was from your comment of it getting worse when you trimmed the bars down.  If that made it worse, I would lean towards bend and positioning first.  Have you tried other bikes to see the bend friends may have used?  

Oh and one more thing, There is a bar gel you can inject inside the handlebar tube.  It is supposed to reduce vibration as well.  

Oh and the CF bars look sweet.  A little expensive, but sweet!  

• Like 2

You're most likely on the right track. Especially regarding the "sweep".  

I run my levers so my wrists are parallel/straight with my arms. No bend at the wrist. If you ride mostly standing up you'll need to point your levers down and don't forget when you set the lever position. ELBOWS UP!!.

Bars should be in line, on the same angle with the forks.

Bend your wrist now and pretend to use a throttle for about minute (with your wrists bent and arms out in front of you) You'll see what I mean   ? .

AFAIK The RC bend has the least amount of sweep whilst still been a reasonably high bend. I got my Carbon bars in the Windham bend. Higher  than the RC bend but also more sweep. You can only try.

Edited by AddictedToBling