Sign in to follow this  

on the go tube pump?

i was just sitting here wondering what you guys use out on the trail when you change tubes? i see all the "tool kit essentials" people say extra tubes... well if you do have to change a tube how do you inflate it? im curious to know if the little bycicle handpump i have in my shed will do the trick? im thinking it wont put the kinda of pressure in the tube that im looking for?(about 25-28 or so psi) havent tried it yet was just curious if it would work ( i have no air compressor yet so would love to be able to check my tire pressure and make sure its right every couple days...)

I can't see why a bicycle pump wouldn't work. It might take a while to pump it up depending on the size of the pump... Something I need to look into.. Ended up riding home on a flat last week.. Good thing for rim locks!

25 psi is waaay too much on the trail .. You know , IMO

so what your saying is..... a bike pump wont work for such a high psi?  ( i have an sm by the way) was only using the reference to trail riding to ask how you guys pump them up on the trail...

This is just a shot in the dark but maybe one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000IQEAMA Apparently you can inflate mountain bike tires with them. I really doubt one of those little co2 cartridges could fill a dirt bike tube to a pressure that would be useable but it may be practical if maybe 2 or 3 of the cartridges could fill a dirt bike tube.

so what your saying is..... a bike pump wont work for such a high psi?  ( i have an sm by the way) was only using the reference to trail riding to ask how you guys pump them up on the trail...

Ahhh gotcha , you will need a quality pump .

My experience with bike pump's is they tend to come apart fairly easily , they get hot and the threaded collar fails .

I carry a small pump like this: http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW75345-4PK-Aluminum-Frame/dp/B0018CX1E6/ref=zg_bs_3403381_19 and use it to reinflate my tires after airing them down for trail use, before I hit the road (going back home).  Granted it takes a good amount of pumps, but it hasn't let me down yet and is small enough to throw in my camelbak backpack.

Yes a bike pump will work but it will take a while if your tire is flat.  A good bike pump is designed to put high pressure into road bike tires...as much as 90 psi.  I'm sure it can handle the psi for dirtbike tires.

I keep a Mt. bike pump in my tool tube, along with spoons and a patch kit.

I carry a 12V compressor (and a few more real tools, and a tube, and sockets, etc . . . .) in my Pelican box when I go on backcountry rides where I think I might actually need to use them. 

Yes a bike pump will work but it will take a while if your tire is flat.  A good bike pump is designed to put high pressure into road bike tires...as much as 90 psi.  I'm sure it can handle the psi for dirtbike tires.

Got a link for a bike pump that gets up to 90psi ?

My Michelin motor cycle specific pump gets nowhere near that .

If you get a flat on the trails,  just ride it like it is,   i do carry a small co2 pump,  have used it 3 times before,   all were for others broken down,  it actually works really well,   one of those little co2 cannister filled up a rear quad tire to 8psi. 

they are about 20 bucks,  even walmart has them,  and you can use the bb gun co2 cannisters,  super cheap.

• Like 1

Yeah , I find riding with a flat rear difficult , eventually the bead breaks and it's all over :thumbsup:

A flat front is manageable , I prefer to be pro active and not re active when it comes to flats

If you get a flat on the trails,  just ride it like it is,   i do carry a small co2 pump,  have used it 3 times before,   all were for others broken down,  it actually works really well,   one of those little co2 cannister filled up a rear quad tire to 8psi. 

they are about 20 bucks,  even walmart has them,  and you can use the bb gun co2 cannisters,  super cheap.

The only "problem" with those high-capacity pumps is that they are relatively big.  Sure they pump up tires quicker, but I would hate to have to carry one of those around.  For as much as I use the pump, I'd rather pump for 5 minutes than carry that.  I am considering have a CO2 backup though.

http://www.slime.com/shop/images/258/2010070711230015916_lrg.jpg

the slime compressor is around $9 at walmart. it will inflate a rear tire to 50 psi in about 5 minutes, if your battery is in good shape. 

no pumping, no co2 carts to replace, no worries. 

That's a good alternative as well, not too big and doesn't require any physical exertion... but my only concern might be its reliability.  Hand pump OTOH, simple, less parts that can fail.

The only "problem" with those high-capacity pumps is that they are relatively big. Sure they pump up tires quicker, but I would hate to have to carry one of those around. For as much as I use the pump, I'd rather pump for 5 minutes than carry that. I am considering have a CO2 backup though.

You'll need a few co2 cartridges but at least you won't be in the side of the trail pumping for 20 minutes.

Edited by jhamner

I carry a small pump like this: http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW75345-4PK-Aluminum-Frame/dp/B0018CX1E6/ref=zg_bs_3403381_19 and use it to reinflate my tires after airing them down for trail use, before I hit the road (going back home). Granted it takes a good amount of pumps, but it hasn't let me down yet and is small enough to throw in my camelbak backpack.

II have one just like this! What psi are you reinflating for road use? As i said i have an sm and my consern isnt as with a flat tire... just when i periodically check my tire pressure when im at my house to make sure they are where i want them sadly do not have an air compressor yet!