Sign in to follow this  

Leatt

Has anyone else had their Velcro strips peel off their Leatt brace? I tried to clean them off and re-stick them with spray glue, but it came right back off. Is there anything else I can try? Or is the only option to purchase a replacement Velcro kit?

Has anyone else had their Velcro strips peel off their Leatt brace? I tried to clean them off and re-stick them with spray glue, but it came right back off. Is there anything else I can try? Or is the only option to purchase a replacement Velcro kit?

Call Leatt, they have good customer service.  Try hot glue, it works well on my goggles when the foam separates from the goggle frame.

+2 on the customer service, but velcro strips can also be purchased at Lowes.  Maybe that would work?  Clean well with Goo-Gone then Windex to get stuff to stick.

Occasionally riders ask us about Velcro coming off. Because the Velcro is flat, inexpensive and easy to mail we don't try to determine if it is our fault, a warranty, or not. We simply send a free Velcro kit to riders who ask. 800-691-3314.

• Like 7

Occasionally riders ask us about Velcro coming off. Because the Velcro is flat, inexpensive and easy to mail we don't try to determine if it is our fault, a warranty, or not. We simply send a free Velcro kit to riders who ask. 800-691-3314.

Class act ^^^

• Like 2

How much they paying you for all the advertisement you give them?

My son has a game this afternoon, but I will answer your question when I get back.  The fact that he is playing in that game is part of the answer.  It's a good question, so thank you.  More to come.

This was my son in July of 2010.  Does it look like I was making smart choices as a father back then?  Not to me.

LIAMJULY2010_zps2c80c559.jpg

Here is my son exactly one year later, in July 2011.  Note the difference in the size of the machine and the gear he was wearing.

LIAMJULY2011_zpsdaeb5ef7.jpg

Here is my son that same day.  His buddy to the left has his brace on.  Liam took his off because he crashed.  The reason Liam was wearing a Leatt brace in the first place was because his buddy had one.  I was very skeptical about the cost of the brace, but I figured if other kids were wearing them, it might be a good idea.  That's how I made my decision.  The crash that led to this picture was my first real heart-sinking moment as a dad with a kid in MX:

LIAMTREVORJULY2011_zps670dbae5.jpg

Here is my son in 2013, with his 6D and Leatt brace in the practice before a crash that I believe could have killed him.  That's on TT as well, not for 6D or Leatt, but because I learned a few things over the past couple of years.

LIAMWITHNEW6DONBIKEJUMPING1_zpsdcba2cb6.

Kids grow up fast, and sometimes parents who put their kids on these machines don't know what they don't know.  I didn't.  In fact, I got lucky.  I had a community of people around me who knew better.  

There will always be those who say the gear didn't make a difference.  In every case I can say it made all the difference.  

Leatt owes me far less than I owe them.  So does 6D.  The gift they gave me is priceless.  A healthy son.

• Like 3

That's just it you will never know if the brace did anything because you don't know what would have happened if he wasn't wearing one in his crash.

That's just it you will never know if the brace did anything because you don't know what would have happened if he wasn't wearing one in his crash.

Not crash, crashes.  Plenty of them.  I had one brace that was destroyed in an event that also destroyed the helmet, so his head and neck were clearly under unusually high forces.  Liam has never sustained even a sore neck as a result of any of his mishaps, so I know for certain none of the braces he was wearing caused any harm.  Neck braces aren't designed to eliminate all risk for everyone in every situation, but they are intended to improve the odds of waking away from some common crashes.  There will be some who choose not to take advantage of them.  Maybe you are the trusted mentor who advises against them because you'll never know whether they did any good, just as Lee Iacocca lobbied against air bags in good faith.  If any dad with a kid who's stepping up to bigger machines and higher jumps reads these threads, he will have a lot more information than I ever did about the science and wisdom associated with neck braces.  If he sees your comment and others like it saying you'll never know if the brace helps, he may choose to ignore the Leatt data and testimonials like mine and others, including Dr. John Bodnar, in favor of rolling the dice.  I hope not.  That's why I tell my stories, and document them as best I can.  

• Like 1

Not crash, crashes.  Plenty of them.  I had one brace that was destroyed in an event that also destroyed the helmet, so his head and neck were clearly under unusually high forces.  Liam has never sustained even a sore neck as a result of any of his mishaps, so I know for certain none of the braces he was wearing caused any harm.  Neck braces aren't designed to eliminate all risk for everyone in every situation, but they are intended to improve the odds of waking away from some common crashes.  There will be some who choose not to take advantage of them.  Maybe you are the trusted mentor who advises against them because you'll never know whether they did any good, just as Lee Iacocca lobbied against air bags in good faith.  If any dad with a kid who's stepping up to bigger machines and higher jumps reads these threads, he will have a lot more information than I ever did about the science and wisdom associated with neck braces.  If he sees your comment and others like it saying you'll never know if the brace helps, he may choose to ignore the Leatt data and testimonials like mine and others, including Dr. John Bodnar, in favor of rolling the dice.  I hope not.  That's why I tell my stories, and document them as best I can.  

I understand what your saying, but with all these people saying the brace saved my life gives people a false sense of  security which cause's people to ride over there heads causing more wrecks and injury's. Truth is you never know. My son had a kid he raced with for a few years get killed practicing one day barely going five mph the rear strut on his brace dug in the ground and tried to rip his head off. My son wears a brace but not a leatt. 

I understand what your saying, but with all these people saying the brace saved my life gives people a false sense of  security which cause's people to ride over there heads causing more wrecks and injury's. Truth is you never know. My son had a kid he raced with for a few years get killed practicing one day barely going five mph the rear strut on his brace dug in the ground and tried to rip his head off. My son wears a brace but not a leatt. 

That is heart breaking. . .   I see what you are saying, too.  False sense of security is not good for either riders or their parents.  Liam's chest protector covers the rear strut, so that hasn't been a concern.  In the video I referenced above there is a specific section that deals with the Leatt strut compared with a competitor.  The Leatt strut is designed to break away.  The competitor they show didn't break.  Was your son's friend wearing a Leatt, or a Leatt clone?  

I am also interested to hear what your choice is for your son.  Let's face it, the most honest endorsement you can give for a product is what you choose to protect your kid.  I am no shill for any company, and I am wide open to any point of view on this topic, or any other for that matter.  It does help to back up what you say, though.  Kid killed by brace going 5 mph is something that would benefit from more information, especially if it is public record.  Do you just know this as a personal tragedy, or is there some research we could do to understand your point in more detail?  

It is no secret that our culture is reticent about discussing tragedy in detail.  I could not imagine the pain of losing a child, so I can't say if I would be forthcoming about specifics if I were in that position.  I hope I would be, though, because the events I know of have shaped the way I manage my affairs.  From guys falling off roofs to toddlers drowning in swimming pools and people I loved being killed in cars and on planes, every event has a lesson.  The fact that your son wears a brace is significant.  That it is not a Leatt doesn't bother me.  If I thought there was a better alternative at twice the price, my son would have it.  If I believed not wearing a brace was a better option, he wouldn't wear one.  That is a big responsibility for a parent, as you know.  Thank you for sharing and please share more if you can.  Maybe MNkayaker will chime in as well.  I hope so.  He's a dad, too.

So far, we have three dads.  MNkayaker says no to the brace, you say yes, but not Leatt, and I say Leatt has proven itself to me in both theory and real-world application, which I have made an effort to show in detail for the reasons I describe above.  

Phil Davy wears a Leatt, too.  Of course he works for Leatt, and he does get paid by Leatt, but he's a smart guy and he is authentic and credible.  The video series that opens the doors to Leatt testing is impressive in its simplicity--and straight talk.  To me, Phil is saying "Here's what we do, here's why it works, and make your own decision".  It's a bold move, and it's something we should demand of anyone trying to sell us on anything related to safety.  It's called transparency.  Kind of reminds me of 6D.  Anyone else besides these two out there doing impact testing and revealing numbers?  Not that I have seen.  Probably more to come, as long as we demand it.  

• Like 2

This is actually a very good question because I know of several instances where manufacturers in our motorcycle industry have, in fact, paid bloggers to write up warm and fuzzy stories about their products.

Yet our answer is simple. We've never paid to get testimonials from riders simply because we don't have to. We get more testimonials than we can actually make good use of. We posted a few in our website, and you can choose not to believe me, but we never paid any of them. http://leatt-brace.com/testimonials/#p=2

• Like 1

You could say the same for a helmet. Don't people hit their heads all the time without dying? Yet we all know there is a significant reduction of the amount of forces put of a rider's head by wearing the helmet. That's how they are tested and that is how they get safety approvals like Snell M2010, ECE 22-05 and DOT. And that is why we test our neck braces the same way, in reduction of forces. THere have been many cases of rider's treated by doctors who have confirmed that riders had so much force put ojn the necks that any more force would have caused an injury. So since there was no injury the brace worked.

You know there are still people out there who believe helmets cause more harm than good, look up "Abate" and you'll see. But they, just like you, are just refusing to see the facts.

Check Doctor Bodnar's statements (The official Supercross Doctor) about necks braces in general and specifically about Leatt. He is not on our payroll either. He's just a great Doctor and more experienced in motorcycle crash type injuries than probably anyone in the US.

• Like 1

This statement is absolutely impossible to believe. Engineering wise it only takes 60 pounds of pressure to break of a rear strut. Medically speaking you're saying that 5 mph of energy transmitted through a neck brace pushed up the rider's helmet so that the chin strap pulled his head upwards with enough force to kill him? And it was because the strut "dug into the ground", ground that was soft enough to dig into but hard enough to abruptly stop the strut and force up the rider's head and kill him?

Riders die all the time in our sport and it is always a tragedy. I've lost several friends since I started riding in 1970 and many more acquaintances since I started working in the motorcycle industry in 1977. But this scenario never happened. Do you mind telling everyone, that you just slandered Leatt to, what the rider's name was, when this happened, at what track and who determined it was the brace that killed him, was an autopsy done?

Lastly, in our country today does anyone thing such a thing would happen and Leatt not get sued for it? Well we haven't. In fact don't you all think Leatt would have at least heard about it. We have not.

Phil, One of the biggest problems I see is misuse. Neck braces flailing around on riders necks so when they do crash, the brace lifts off their shoulders and can twist very easily. People think they can just throw the brace on without strapping it down in some way. A lot of accidents which injure the riders are caused from this. So when the above user said the rear strut dug into the ground, that has to be a misuse issue and the brace was totally bent the wrong way.

The only problem with the Leatt is the fact its well engineered, almost too-well engineered. The unfortunate truth is that crashes aren't engineered and every single one is different. Riders just don't get that and as a result, they don't understand the consequences of their actions when the brace is "floating".

Ohh and Phil, when are you guys releasing the new brace? Looking forward to nabbing one. :)