Powder coat vs paint

Which way will show the best results on engine cases

It all comes down to the quality of the product, the person applying it and the prep. Both can look good, both can look terrible.

But powder coating would be best for engine case. Way more durable

powder coating, paint will were out faster and look worse

It all comes down to the quality of the product, the person applying it and the prep. Both can look good, both can look terrible.

But powder coating would be best for engine case. Way more durable

The person who is coating those magnesium cases better know how to do magnesium, or they will look like crap!!!! They cannot be done the same way as aluminum, or other metals. Magnesium emits a gas when heated, so the parts need to prepped, sent through the oven, let cool, sent through again, and as soon as the parts come out of the oven, then they are coated, and the coating allowed to melt onto the part. They are not sent through the oven with powder on them, as they will outgas, and create tiny bubbles, which will cure as holes in the part. If you choose to get the parts coated, ask the coater first how e does magnesium. If he does not do it in this manner, do not get the parts done by him. My neighbor just got his done on his KTM, and he said they look like crap with all the pin holes.

If you're going to be doing a powder coat properly with proper prep and "painting", then go powdercoat. More durable, looks the same, sometimes better.

If not, just paint it. It will look better.

You can touch up the paint. Can you do the same with Powder Coat   :thumbsup:

^^^ far less likely to have to do any touching up with powdercoat, as opposed to paint, however.

Edited by zraham

^^^ far less likely to have to do any touching up with powdercoat, as opposed to paint, however.

Like paint. The Powder coat will rub off the frame in one decent ride.

At least with paint you can touch that up and sand chips in the paint out. Prep the frame properly and paint is every bit as good, if not better IMO   :thumbsup: .

Like paint. The Powder coat will rub off the frame in one decent ride.

At least with paint you can touch that up and sand chips in the paint out. Prep the frame properly and paint is every bit as good, if not better IMO   :thumbsup: .

I have had powder coated frames and they were many times more durable than the factory paint.  The powder coat did not rub off in one ride.  When I sold the bike it was just starting to show wear through the powder coat after 50 hours.  They were professionally done and after seeing the results I would never recommend paint over powder coat.  The cost difference is negligible.