The right Fly Wheel Weight

I am a "B" class rider in the Hare Scrambles (woods racing) and I just got a new bike (2013 YZ 250). I LOVE the bike how it is but there is no lugging capabilities to it. I love how if there is a log over the trail a little clutch and some gas you can pop right over it. I need a Fly Wheel Weight but not sure what size to go with. I want to still get out of trouble and get over objects when needed. Any help is great.

Thanks,

Ryan

TORCS La Marque Sunday520.jpg

I ride mainly single track stuff, me I think heavier the better but everyone has there own idea what works best.

I'd say dial in your jetting first, these bikes can have a very strong pull from anywhere above idle. No clutch wheelies at low RPM and lugging are possible. I also agree with Bobby, the more weight the better.

I have the same bike, and installed the GYTR weighted flywheel. 

Biggest benefit I found was in stall-prevention.  It's not a huge change by any means, but it was something.

I installed a 1 tooth larger rear sprocket than stock - lets me avoid 1st gear for all except the tough climbs.  Think it's a 51 or 52.  Too early for me to remember.

Currently I'm researching a Rekluse.

I'm messing around with the jetting:  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1046564-spooge-again-but-with-suggested-plan/

I'll ride the 48 pilot a few more times, then may put the 50 back in.

Stock or with the above changes I've made, I have no problem raising the front end...sometimes even when I don't want to.

Edited by SpunBearing

I am a "B" class rider in the Hare Scrambles (woods racing) and I just got a new bike (2013 YZ 250). I LOVE the bike how it is but there is no lugging capabilities to it. I love how if there is a log over the trail a little clutch and some gas you can pop right over it. I need a Fly Wheel Weight but not sure what size to go with. I want to still get out of trouble and get over objects when needed. Any help is great.

Thanks,

Ryan

I like Steahly bolt on weights. Where your doing HS and woods, I would suggest getting the heaviest weight, try it then if you don't like it you can send it back to Steahly and they will machine it lighter for only $20 . I have a 7oz on my YZ144 and love it. I originally started out with a 9 oz, and i loved that weight as well but felt it was just a bit too heavy for the MX track. My current 7 oz is the perfect compramise for all riding conditions.

I would highly suggest saving your money for a rekluse. You get all the benefits of a FWW with the added traction of the rekluse. I'm a slow B rider and have found myself ripping up rocky, muddy root-riddled hills that even pros have to try a few times.

I have a stealthy 13oz FWW. I love it. Really helped with the transition as I have ridden 4 strokes only since 01.

I started with a 13oz. rode that for a couple years and as I got a bit faster i swapped it for a 9oz. I like that better (now) both worked great but I am sticking with the 9 . I run 14/50 gearing and swap between knobby and trials tire.

Put a 11 oz on my 250 that I single track and love it. Can feel the difference thru the rocks, climbing muddy rooted hills.

I run the TMV 7 oz bolt-on and love it. Also run 13/49 sprockets which will fit anything but desert riding

Ive been told by many top named riders ie. Brad Bakken and Jason Raines that the 8.4 GYTR is an exelent choice. Im planning on ordering one soon.

Be careful with that sucker.  Guess it's machined, and man oh man does it have some sharp edges.

Seriously.

As I mentioned above I was researching a Rekluse.  Ordered a Core Exp the other day.  Mike at Rekluse said the FWW will not effect ther Rekluse and he suggested I leave it on.

I ride Open A and have the Steahly 9oz on race bike. It works good for anti-stall and adds traction. I ride motocross too and it doesn't hinder that at all either. Motocross Action even lists a 9oz weight as one way to improve the YZ250. I would stay away from heavier than that cause I don't really know if you gain a lot by a bigger weight, plus you need to get a bigger side case or space it out so it will fit. If it was just a trail riding bike I could see a big flywheel weight but not for a race bike.