• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

2019 Zooks!   07/17/2018

Suzuki Introduces 2019 Motocross, Dual Sport, Off-Road and Youth Models
ktmrider125sx

The pros squeaky brakes

21 posts in this topic

I'm asking this for a friend but does anyone know why the pros brakes always squeak? At the pro gncc race almost everyone's did... Is it from them being on the brakes so hard and the pads and rotor heating up or are they running a special set up? Thanks!

I've noticed that many aftermarket brake rotors will cause the brakes to squeak, especially when hot. They tend to be a softer material so the pads bite a little better than stock rotors (and they also wear out faster than stock rotors).

While the all don't run stock brakes, the materials the use are pretty much what we have access to.

Brakes squeak for multiple reasons, I think one of the main reasons is how they modulate the brakes, they try not to lock up the rear, so you get more friction at the pad. They run the brakes more than average riders, they use them harder, wear them out faster and braking makes noise.

I've noticed that many aftermarket brake rotors will cause the brakes to squeak, especially when hot. They tend to be a softer material so the pads bite a little better than stock rotors (and they also wear out faster than stock rotors).

When I got my 250 it had a Braking wave rotor on the rear that was severly worn. The pads were cocked sideways into the rotor and cut the braking area of the rotor to a taper. Never seen a rotor do that, and didn't expect such a big name rotor to do such a thing.

While the all don't run stock brakes, the materials the use are pretty much what we have access to.

Brakes squeak for multiple reasons, I think one of the main reasons is how they modulate the brakes, they try not to lock up the rear, so you get more friction at the pad. They run the brakes more than average riders, they use them harder, wear them out faster and braking makes noise.

makes sense! Both of us have noticed it and it's generally ktms but I've heard a bunch squeak and it's always the ones going the fastest

They use really hard pads and use their brakes a lot. We have a guy that races GNCC XC2 and he only uses the pricey Brembo pads because the others won't last for a three hour race. 

They use really hard pads and use their brakes a lot. We have a guy that races GNCC XC2 and he only uses the pricey Brembo pads because the others won't last for a three hour race.

I run ebc mx-c and they don't squeak and have good wear life but I'm not racing as hard as the pros haha

My brakes begin squeaking sometimes when I'm riding hard for a long test section in a race.  A few weeks back we had a cold front come through Texas, it was only 55 degrees when I started my bike.  I started riding race pace through Bill's Woods (for anyone familiar with Red River riding area) and stopped half way through.  After about 15 miles of hard riding my rear brakes were sizzling hot to the touch but weren't squeaking this time because it was wet/muddy.

And mud wears out brake pads faster than anything else in the world.  My brakes begin squeaking when it's drier outside, and I ride nonstop at race pace.  No-I'm not a pro.  You don't have to be one to squeak them brakes.

1 person likes this

im no where near a pro at riding but my brakes normally squeak as well, and its usually the rears, i use stock rotors and cheap pads. i have never figured out why they squeak, it even does it with ebc pads...maybe i use the brake more then i think. 

Free Tip. In slippery conditions and in corners it pays to drag the rear brake. Stops the rear from sliding out sideways and loosing traction :thumbsup: .

2 people like this

Free Tip. In slippery conditions and in corners it pays to drag the rear brake. Stops the rear from sliding out sideways and loosing traction :thumbsup: .

huh I'll try it I ride nothing but mud and sand basically

huh I'll try it I ride nothing but mud and sand basically

I was more meaning hard packed wet corners. Like hard packed clay etc. It also depends on the actual corner as well as to whether or not It's beneficial.

It's something I picked up from racing Karts but assume others do it as well.

Edited by AddictedToBling
1 person likes this

Glad you mentioned that, we need a rear replacement for the 125.. Stay away from tusk?

I wouldn't say that, I have em on the front and rear of my bike and they have great stopping power and hold up very well. They just squeak a bit

ALL of the above information on WHY brakes squeak is WRONG.

The pads vibrate inside the caliper, transferring the vibration to the disc, which sings like a bell.

Two cures for squeaking brakes; do them both, and you will not have anymore squeaks.

1. Tighten the pads in the caliper by pinching the spring metal retainer clips. You should have to lightly force the pads into place in the calipers. The pads should not move around at all!

2. Lubricate the backs of the pads, so they don't transfer as much vibration. It's a pain, but it works. Copper Grease from Pep Boys, or, Red Silicone Break-cure.

10043378.jpg

11613003.jpg

Edited by Krannie
4 people like this

On 2013-10-31 at 7:08 PM, THE KRAN said:

ALL of the above information on WHY brakes squeak is WRONG.

The pads vibrate inside the caliper, transferring the vibration to the disc, which sings like a bell.

Two cures for squeaking brakes; do them both, and you will not have anymore squeaks.

1. Tighten the pads in the caliper by pinching the spring metal retainer clips. You should have to lightly force the pads into place in the calipers. The pads should not move around at all!

2. Lubricate the backs of the pads, so they don't transfer as much vibration. It's a pain, but it works. Copper Grease from Pep Boys, or, Red Silicone Break-cure.

10043378.jpg

11613003.jpg

I know this thread is old, but I just wanted to comment.  

I never had a problem with squealing brakes until I bought my 18 Husky.  It was pretty annoying considering what I have into this machine.  The moment I read this post it made sense to me to try this.  I followed this advice.  I removed the pads, squeezed the metal clip with pliers to bend them just enough so the pads went in snug and not sloppy.  Sprayed the rear surface of the pads with a fine layer of Moly-mist.  Reassembled and the brakes are dead quiet :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: 

1 person likes this

I like the squeal. When you are in tight woods and right on someone's rear tire it drives them nuts and soon they start making mistakes. I am a bad rear brake dragger and EBC metallic pads squeal the worst for me. :thumbsup:

1 person likes this