SM Swingarm on an S

I'm sure it's been done before, but I was wondering if it is a direct swap or if other components would be needed ? I'm sure I'd need the SM Axel , but anything else ?

I'm sure it's been done before, but I was wondering if it is a direct swap or if other components would be needed ? I'm sure I'd need the SM Axel , but anything else ?

if you're swapping wheels, you'll need the SM  caliper also. or to swap the S -> SM rear rotor, whichever you prefer. 

hmm, the axle is the same diameter, along with wheel bearings, but i'm not sure about the length

I believe the hubs are the same width from what I read . It's just that the chain adjustment is different , it's RM style , so no snail adjuster . I'm not swapping wheels Yet , but I'm thinking of when I do swap back and forth between Offroad and SM wheels . The SM. swingarm allows more clearance for wider tires without chain rub . If I'm correct . As long as I can bolt up the rest of my S suspension ,the geometry should remain the same . The wheel base is the same . Just not sure if everything else will work with the swingarm .

I don't think you get more chain clearance. Front and rear sprocket are in the same place. Swap for looks not clearance.

I don't think you get more chain clearance. Front and rear sprocket are in the same place. Swap for looks not clearance.

they are virtually the same ... my SM swing-arm at the point of the tires widest point is 1/16" wider then the S and E swing-arm I have measured at the same point. 

does the s caliper and bracket fit on the sm swingarm? i might ending up doing this if all ill need to do is get adjusters

does the s caliper and bracket fit on the sm swingarm? i might ending up doing this if all ill need to do is get adjusters

Take a look at the thread I linked to

Take a look at the thread I linked to

thanks for the info , I've only got the chain slider and adjusters left to aquire. While everything is waiting for the actual swap to occur , ill take some time to clean and polish the swingarm , bracket , and caliper . I love polished aluminum . Mud slides right off it .

they are virtually the same ... my SM swing-arm at the point of the tires widest point is 1/6" wider then the S and E swing-arm I have measured at the same point.

I was wondering if you meant 1/16" ? I haven't done any measuring or close comparison . I just got the swingarm yesterday . Seller didn't ship it to me till 10 days after I paid . But it's here now and looks pretty good. I gave it an initial cleaning to inspect for any damage . I'm trying to decide how far I want to go with polishing it .

I was wondering if you meant 1/16" ? I haven't done any measuring or close comparison . I just got the swingarm yesterday . Seller didn't ship it to me till 10 days after I paid . But it's here now and looks pretty good. I gave it an initial cleaning to inspect for any damage . I'm trying to decide how far I want to go with polishing it .

Yes 1/16"

When looking at my S setup today , I took note of how much space there was between the tire and chain with my 130/80-18's. quite a bit .

About 3/4 " at its closest

Edited by Masshole DRZ

Swingarm is polished . I will drop it off for clear powdercoating  soon.  

Recieved the axel yesterday , trying to decide on best option for clearing it . Is powder coating the best way to go ?

image.jpg

Recieved the axel yesterday , trying to decide on best option for clearing it . Is powder coating the best way to go ?

Dayum,  looks bad ass just sitting there,  cant wait to see pics of the bike.   WTG. 

Suppose someone wants to put SM forks on an S and still ride off road? 

If I'm buying a new DR-Z is it better to buy an SM and put dirt wheels on it or is it better to buy an S and buy some used SM forks on eBay?

If I'm buying a new DR-Z is it better to buy an SM and put dirt wheels on it or is it better to buy an S and buy some used SM forks on eBay?

S to SM is going to be more expensive than SM to S

Edited by Wisconsinite762

hmm

the S is a street legal dual sport, with proper sized wheels for off road riding, and the proper geometry for those sized wheels/ tires.

the SM is a street legal dual sport, with proper sized wheels for street specific tires, and the geometry for those sized wheels/tires. 

there is no benefit in buying the SM triple trees, and front suspension, for a bike that will have 21/18" wheels, and ridden off road, and it is a shorter travel suspension.

you will spend more money to for the SM version at the time of buying a bike (versus the S), then again when you need to purchase the 21/18"wheels, again when you buy a disk for the 21 front, to fit the SM caliper, and one last time for a disk to fit the rear SM caliper, for the 18" rear. 

if the bike will be a dual sport, it's much cheaper to just buy the S, and use it as such, with knobbies or whatever.

if the bike will be a dual sport, with 17" knobbies, the tire selection is much fewer to choose from. 

I believe insurance is cheaper on an S. So You can put some SM wheels on an S and basically have an SM with more suspension travel. I opted to buy an SM swingarm mainly because I like the look of it better. There is no change in the geometry by making the swap, unless I swapped in the shorter SM shock.  If I did that I would assume I would need to modify the front suspension to have proper handling.  I love the SM forks and would like a set. but Im happy with the way my S rides on and offroad now, with my 21/18 wheels.  It will be interesting to see how it feel when I put some 17" SM wheels on it.  For me its the most cost effective way to have both models.  To swap one bike into another is a bit of a waste , when a used SM can be bought for $3000.  a new set of SM wheels with tires will run around $1200 for another $2800 give or take you could have another whole bike. or a set of used SM wheels that comes with an extra motor, SM forks , swingarm etc , etc....